How to download music from computer to MP3 player?

dageurreotype

Okay. Let's try this again. When I transfer TO my computer, images show up in ADOBE. ADOBE READER will transfer to and from a secondary device with no issues.OR VLC. The files I want to download to a poxy little MP3 player are clustered in VLC. Why aren't they transferring. Thanks.

Edited by dageurreotype

Open an Explorer Window for "My Computer" (or "This PC", depending which version you are running).

Plug in the player.

Does a new drive show up?

If so, double click it. What do you see?

Try dragging an MP3 file to it. What happens?

What is your MP3 player make and model?

What version of windows are you using?

You may need to do it via software.

It's just a cheapo Thai music player. I only need it for meditation. My blood pressure needs lowering laugh.png So we're not talking Philharmonic surround sound here.

I'm using Windows XP with Chrome, if that makes any difference? I just can't get my head around being able to easily transfer from VLC to external hard drive, but the music already in VLC won't transfer. Just the 'insert disc' blink.png

Are you sure you've selected the correct drive letter in Windows Explorer (File Manager, not IE browser).

As Chicog was mentioning earlier, many MP3 players act as memory devices when plugged into a Computer via USB allowing the user to simply place content on the device as if it were an external memory card. An additional drive letter should appear if the MP3 device is recognized as a memory device.

Dragging (or Copy then Paste) the desired MP3 files found on your computer to the MP3 device.

While *some* media player applications can manage files on remote devices, the app must first have that capability and also support the specific device to be managed.

Otherwise they're only accessing the remote device for playback on the computer.

It seems your system is set up so that when you plug in a device that has files on, certain types of files (like mp3) are automatically queued into the software you play or view them in.

After you plug the player in and programs like VLC and Adobe whatever start up, close them down. Then follow chicog's advice about using file explorer. For all intents and purposes, at this stage your mp3 player gadget is nothing more than a USB thumb drive as far as your computer system is concerned. Files can be moved, deleted, renamed etc.

A lot of multimedia software these days have the option of keeping a media library, which is probably what you have VLC set up do, and is probably a default setting and you'll have to figure it out to turn it off. I'll leave that to others more adept at VLC settings. But for now the above advice should get you through moving files around.

Are you sure you've selected the correct drive letter in Windows Explorer (File Manager, not IE browser).

As Chicog was mentioning earlier, many MP3 players act as memory devices when plugged into a Computer via USB allowing the user to simply place content on the device as if it were an external memory card. An additional drive letter should appear if the MP3 device is recognized as a memory device.

Dragging (or Copy then Paste) the desired MP3 files found on your computer to the MP3 device.

While *some* media player applications can manage files on remote devices, the app must first have that capability and also support the specific device to be managed.

Otherwise they're only accessing the remote device for playback on the computer.

I don't use IE. Does anyone (except Thais) these days?

Must it be IE? (gah) When I plug in my external hard drive it shows up automatically in 'I' drive, photo uploads opens Adobe automatically. I've used thumb drives with no problem either, again shows up in 'I'. Conundrum ..

Edited by dageurreotype

No, NOT "Internet Explorer" ...the file manager is called "Windows Explorer" by Microsoft (the icon looks like a file folder). I tried to differentiate the two different names, but did a poor job. We're discussing the File Manager.

When you plug your MP3 player into your computer does a new drive letter show up in your file manager?

If not, then the system isn't treating your MP3 player as a thumb drive (memory device).

If the MP3 player uses removable memory you'll need to remove it and place the module into an adapter that can connect to your computer (USB port or SD Card reader if your PC has one).