New Car Key Cut

Robroona

Did it ever occur to you that giving your location may assist, just a little--with an answer................coffee1.gif

Pattaya forum should say enough?

Guess the op is mobile enough to move all around Pattaya.

To avoid frustration: your car does not have an immobilizer?

Otherwise a simple key cut will only open the doors but not start the motor.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Did it ever occur to you that giving your location may assist, just a little--with an answer................coffee1.gif

Good question but I am not sure. When the car was new, it was delivered with one biggish key and one smallish. Never used the smaller key which is now lost

Good question but I am not sure.

Check first, otherwise you waste some 200 Baht or so for a mechanical door unlock (which might also trigger an alarm if exist).

Big one: if it has a remote function it is likely combined with an immobilizer.

Small one: even though it looks "ordinary" it might contain a transponder (small chip) without which the car can not be started.

If its an immobilizer it could become bloody expensive to get a full set of two working keys.

Mazda quoted me 6000 (!) Baht.

Fortunately I found the "big" key after a couple of days.

There must be many key cutters in Pattaya.

I only know the one at Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang, base floor to the left of the main entrance.

must admit, didn't see the pattaya forum

Never mind tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Good question but I am not sure. When the car was new, it was delivered with one biggish key and one smallish. Never used the smaller key which is now lost

The large key will have 2 or 3 buttons to unlock/lock your car this is called central locking it will also have an embedded RFID chip that interacts with a coil of wire round the ignition switch connected to the immobilizer.

The smaller key will probably have an embedded immobilizer RFID chip but no buttons to control the remote locking.

Often the engine management system will need reconfiguring particularly to accept cloned keys, the immobilizer and central locking systems are 2 independent systems so to purchase a key without central locking and immobilizer would be the cheapest option but you can not run the car, a key with immobilizer chip will cost a lot more, and a key with immobilizer and central locking will cost the most.

Each manufacturer will use different chips, programming techniques therefore key cutters will need different equipment for every make of car, I was quoted something like £20,000 ($30,000/100,000B) just for a starter kit which only covered a few popular models, so do not expect to be able to purchase a key from a independent Auto Locksmith much cheaper.