Short stay visa waiver programme.

Hi all, wondering if anybody has info/experience of the Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme applying to Thai nationals. I am an Irish national hoping to take my long-term Thai g/f to the UK on a 2 week holiday sometime in July/Aug. I had originally intended taking her to Ireland for the break, however im told if she gets a Tourist Visa to the UK, we can use that to travel to Ireland for a few days without the need for a separate Irish visa. This way we could visit relatives in both places. I have mailed Visa4u.fco but their reply mentioned everything except the question asked (above). Similarly [email protected] are not inclined to even answer. I would be grateful if anybody here on TV could give me a heads-up on this. Also, assuming we can travel to Ireland on the UK visa, are there any restrictions on returning from Ireland to the UK for departure to Bangkok on the single-entry UK visa?

Appreciate any assistance.

Don't know about the Ireland questions but in answer to the last point UK visit visas are multi-entry so no issues with that.

Thank you Upnotover, thats part of the jigsaw now in place, will be interesting to see if the visa-free travel to Ireland is possible. Very difficult to get information from official sources!

Indeed, Thailand is one of the countries covered by the Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme

The categories of visas covered are short stay visit visas granted to persons seeking to leave to enter or remain in the UK except those seeking to enter as (i) a Visitor in Transit or (ii) a Visitor seeking to enter for the purpose of marriage or to enter a civil partnership. Long-term visitors to the UK, for example long-term student visas, persons seeking to join spouse or family reunification, are not encompassed.

In order to avail of the Programme you must have landed and gained lawful entry to the UK on foot of your current UK visa, prior to undertaking the journey to Ireland.

The programme runs until the end of October 2016, but may be extended.

This is an initiative of the Irish government, not the UK one. So I am not surprised that UKVI were unable to answer your question as it is nothing to do with them. Though why the INIS were unable to do so is a mystery!

As Upnotover says, UK visit visas are routinely multiple entry, unless there is a specific reason for restricting the number of entries. This will be indicated on the visa vignette by either a number, e.g. 1, specifying the number of entries or the word 'Mult' meaning the visa is valid for multiple entries.

Indeed, Thailand is one of the countries covered by the Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme

The categories of visas covered are short stay visit visas granted to persons seeking to leave to enter or remain in the UK except those seeking to enter as (i) a Visitor in Transit or (ii) a Visitor seeking to enter for the purpose of marriage or to enter a civil partnership. Long-term visitors to the UK, for example long-term student visas, persons seeking to join spouse or family reunification, are not encompassed.

In order to avail of the Programme you must have landed and gained lawful entry to the UK on foot of your current UK visa, prior to undertaking the journey to Ireland.

The programme runs until the end of October 2016, but may be extended.

This is an initiative of the Irish government, not the UK one. So I am not surprised that UKVI were unable to answer your question as it is nothing to do with them. Though why the INIS were unable to do so is a mystery!

As Upnotover says, UK visit visas are routinely multiple entry, unless there is a specific reason for restricting the number of entries. This will be indicated on the visa vignette by either a number, e.g. 1, specifying the number of entries or the word 'Mult' meaning the visa is valid for multiple entries.

Many thanks 7by7, that completes the jigsaw. Great to have people like you and Upnotover taking the time to answer queries.