Great Experience With Visa Exstension In Nakhon Ph

Just back after a long weekend in Nakhon Phanom.

Used the occasion to cross over to Laos for a visa exstension. Boat t/r 100 Baht and visa to Laos 1500 Bath or 30US.

Everything took me an hour.

Nakhon Phanom itself was a great break from busy Phuket, and the people very friendly. Stayed at Nakhon Phanom River view. Very good and to less than half of the price you have to pay for similar Hotels in Phuket.

I traveled with PB Airlines from Bangkok which was precise and can be recommended.

:o

Felt 35,

A little off subject, but: (I lived there in the early 70's)

Is Nakhon Phanom a fairly large city, by your estimation? All's I can remember are two main streets, parallel to the river; the Ho Chi Minh clock in city/village center; a few hotels, many bars, and two massage parlors. I'd probably remember a lot more if I had returned to base in the same condition I had entered the city.

The airstrip was several miles from town -- about a 20 minute bus ride. Does this sound like the current airport? (I would assume they'd use this, as it was well built, and adequately long and wide.)? Did you see any Thai Air Force co-location?

We couldn't even pronounce it back then -- it was called either "NKP" or "Naked Fanny." And most of us would rather have been in Udorn or Ubon, where you fell out the main gate right into the city -- no 20 minute bus ride required (sigh).

Guess I'll have to take a sentimental journey back there.

Thanks.