Abhisit denies plan to quit politics if Democrats lose

webfact

Abhisit denies plan to quit politics if Democrats lose
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday denied that he was planning to give up politics should his party lose the next general election.

He had previously said that he would quit politics if the Democrats did not win the majority of votes in the next general election, though he said he did not know when the polls would be held.

However, yesterday Abhisit clarified his remark, saying he would serve as MP if elected, but would have to take responsibility if his party is defeated again - the fourth time under his leadership.

Abhisit has been at the helm of the party for a decade now.

"It is about leadership at an organisation. If I fail, I have to take responsibility. Leadership changes hands when there is a failure,'' he explained, adding that he had made the previous remark because he was confident that his party would win the next election.

He also said that the Democrat Party would be reformed to offer better alternatives for the people.

"We must boost people's confidence that we can move the country forward with reform," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Abhisit-denies-plan-to-quit-politics-if-Democrats--30260508.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-20

He has stymied any attempt at reform within the party. He believes he is the smartest guy in Thailand and cannot understand why everyone doesn't see this simple truth. If he leads the democrats into the next election they will surely lose big time.

He hasn't made any comments about the PDRC going to run in the next elections under the democrat banner either, wouldn't they need to become democrat members first, and if they're did that then they wouldn't be PDRC?

Leadership changes hands when there is a failure,

Right, Mark. How many elections have the Democrats lost with you at the helm? That is failure.

This place suffers from the soft bigotry of low expectations.

At least Abhisit recognizes that the current Democrat political platform will not garner majority vote and must be "reformed" to attract a larger constitiuency. Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm.

To what extent the reformed Democrats can be trusted by the electorate and how many of its current membership including the PDRC faction will stay with the party because of a more liberal ideology is yet to be tested. If Abhisit isn't careful he might finds himself as leader of a very fractionalized and dysfunctional Democract party - destined once again to lose.

At least he is improving on shortening the days to break a promise. Took him a week from supporting an election in 2011 to boycott.

He didn't boycott the election. The Democrats lost in 2011 to Yingluck and he resigned as the head of the Democrat Party but the board voted him in again.

Edited by MobileContent

At least he is improving on shortening the days to break a promise. Took him a week from supporting an election in 2011 to boycott.

Did he boycott the election in 2011?

BB, you got me on this one. Typo mistake. Should be 2014. Cheers.

It is good to see that some saneness prevails in the murky puddles of Thai politics, however parties need to involve the people at grassroots level , I know that the Dems did start this process as an experiment before the last elections and should be investigating expanding your system , the party machines are all run by the rich , it is time if you want proper reform to start including the people , Thai Parliament , when sitting , looks more like the Thai Chamber of Commerce than a house of the people. coffee1.gif

I feel a bit sorry for Abhisit, i thing generally he would be a good PM if he did not have all the leaches surrounding him and behind the party. If some of the big corporations could finance the funding of a new party with the best of the Democrats and the best of the PTP, i think we might finally get somewhere.

For me someone like Korn would be the best bet (a bit stronger than Abhisit), especially in current economic times. Sadly like most countries the good people can only get anywhere in politics by being backed by persons without scruples and for their own reasons. If either of them tried to curtail the civil service, police, military gravy train they would soon be sent packing.

It is good to see that some saneness prevails in the murky puddles of Thai politics, however parties need to involve the people at grassroots level , I know that the Dems did start this process as an experiment before the last elections and should be investigating expanding your system , the party machines are all run by the rich , it is time if you want proper reform to start including the people , Thai Parliament , when sitting , looks more like the Thai Chamber of Commerce than a house of the people. coffee1.gif

well they have a law:

you have to have a degree which might, at first glance, seem reasonable but it still disenfranchises many who might be gifted BUT circumstances prevented them going to University