NLA approves of plan to make Thailand the aircraft hub of ASEAN

webfact

NLA approves of plan to make Thailand the aircraft hub of ASEAN

BANGKOK, 21 May 2015 (NNT) - The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) has approved compliance with the 8th ASEAN air transport agreement, in a move to make Thailand the region’s aircraft service and maintenance hub.

The Protocol to Implement the Eighth Package of Commitments on Air Transport Services under the ASEAN Framework was signed by ASEAN Transport Ministers, including Thailand's ACM Prajin Junthong.

Compliance with the protocol is part of ministry efforts to expand the quality and scope of transportation infrastructure and servicing in Thailand.

NLA members commented that the protocol requires a revamping of the country’s servicing and customs standards, as well as establishing a clear action plan towards making Thailand the region’s aircraft servicing and maintenance hub.

ACM Prajin responded that his ministry has unveiled phase two of expansions to Don Mueang International Airport, which will commence in 2016. The Ministry of Finance has been tasked with updating its customs policies, while airlines undergo strict inspections to meet international standards.

As for an action plan to make Thailand the region’s air transport hub, the Ministry of Transport has established a committee to determine the most suitable airport for international servicing and maintenance. It has allocated funding for aircraft service and maintenance training.

After deliberations, the NLA approved of the protocol that complies with the 8th air transport service agreement under ASEAN guidelines with 191 votes with none in opposition and 6 abstentions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-21 footer_n.gif

There's more hubs here than an old Israeli euro vision song contest tune!!

In the BP today the Thai's are saying they will not meet the ICAO deadline and going to appeal to the UN for another month..

Thailand, the hub of delays!!

Edited by Fat Haggis

Have these people forgotten about the other little aircraft maintenance 'problem' that reared it's ugly head just before Songkran ?

I'm no Einstein but I really would suggest they remedy that problem first before they even consider becoming a 'maintenance hub'.

NLA members commented that the protocol requires a revamping of the country’s servicing and customs standards, as well as establishing a clear action plan towards making Thailand the region’s aircraft servicing and maintenance hub.

Quite timely I must say. I suppose Thai bringing their six airlines up to standards is included in this clear action plan.

For the time being Thailand should just focus on fixing the problem with ICAO and several aviation organizations such as in China, Korea and Japan before declaring Thailand an aviation hub.

Today I just read on TV that they asked a one month delay to come up with a solution for their aviation problems.

Thailand becomes a laughing stock if they declare an aviation hub at DM Airport. As far as I know it is exactly this airport that has most of the problems.

I only know that i won't fly with any plane which had maintenance in thailand.

They even can't service my motorbike properly, only gave it new oil while much more had to be done according to the workshop manual.

A maintenance hub is not the same as complying with ICAO regulations re flights.

Maybe they would then consider abandoning the present daft rule that no helicopters are allowed in Thailand unless operated by the military or an approved company owner !

Why?

The half baked answer I got was that they could be used for smuggling !!!

Not of course cars, trucks,buses, boats and random fixed wing aircraft?!!

The scariest thing is how entirely disengaged from reality the various parts of the Goverment are. They believe that a bunch of generals deciding something makes it happen by fiat. This place has no hope.

You are wrong. They have great hope and faith. They have Section 44. The book which solves all of Thailand's problems....

Thailand is getting a country that produces in politics just jokes!
Thailand a aircraft hub: can'f follow the laws and princips of air control, aircraft maintaining neither to run all the international standards...

Thailand. the country of all Hub's without any knowledge! Thanks good they wont be able to do it!

I will go against the grain and say they CAN do it, but only if the top managent of the hub are ALL foreigners with absolutely top skills and experience, such as from US, EU, Singapore or Japan, and a large portion of the senior engineers and supervisors are from those countries. And of course, the concept and all planning have to be based on already tried and tested formulas. The Thai natinalists would never accept this, even though Thailand would benefit immensely. Sadly, misplaced pride and face come before anything.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket