Retirement Visa New Rules?

Everything in red is what the following info after it is about. Meaning 6 to 29 is about Permission to stay, extension of stay, re-entry permit and other immigration matters.

That is incredibly complicated (Police order number and so on). Which one is the Thai Immigration requirements for an extension of stay (in English - not translated by another organization) for retirement and or marriage?

I really don't trust a third party to translate because they may change things and I'd rather see what the Thai Immigration has to say about it.

Everything in red is what the following info after it is about. Meaning 6 to 29 is about Permission to stay, extension of stay, re-entry permit and other immigration matters.

That is incredibly complicated (Police order number and so on). Which one is the Thai Immigration requirements for an extension of stay (in English - not translated by another organization) for retirement and or marriage?

I really don't trust a third party to translate because they may change things and I'd rather see what the Thai Immigration has to say about it.

There is huge PDF file that is a scanned copy of the most recent one. Everything is the same as the one posted here (perhaps a copy of it).

See: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

Immigration has not produced their own translation in many years.

Why on earth do you think a translation service would deliberately change something.

As somebody who's researching a retirement visa for when they hit 50 (in 9 months time) I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it might be better to just get the Thai Elite Visa (hey, it's my money) & hope that they get their act together over the 5 years that gives.

Good luck in the "research" for a "retirement visa" !

There is no such "visa" !

An the "Elite" option may be a good choice for yourself but I prefer my 1900 Bht " extension of stay" based on retirement smile.png

My extension is very easily renewed each year and it seems (at least to me) to provide a very good easy and economic, solution to remaining in Thailand for an extended period of time,

• Like 2

Ok... As somebody who's researching a non-O Visa for the purpose of looking into retiring in Thailand... ... That Better???

I prefer my sanity & if that means budgeting 9k a month to cover all of my visa hassles/stresses for 5 years then it doesn't feel that expensive...

Edit: I do find the pedantry around the use of the term "Retirement Visa" amusing given even the Thai Embassy sites use the term to differentiate it from other Non-O/OA visa types... Call it what it is I say...

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

There is huge PDF file that is a scanned copy of the most recent one. Everything is the same as the one posted here (perhaps a copy of it).

See: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

Immigration has not produced their own translation in many years.

Why on earth do you think a translation service would deliberately change something.

I guess I should back up a little. 1. I only wanted a link to a Thai Immigration site that specifies the required documentation for an extension of a visa due to retirement and/or marriage. 2. I would not want a translation from an agency that profits from submitting paperwork required by that translation.

I should also add that I don't think there is an immigration site that lists the documentation necessary for an extension based on retirement and/or marriage.

Since Thai Visa does not sell visa services I would find them more trustworthy than an agency that makes a profit from selling visa services.

I think it would be nice if Thai Visa listed in a simple manner 1....2.....3.... the necessary documentation for an extension of stay based on marriage and/or retirement with footnotes as to the areas where the documentation is not uniform with the rest of Thailand like Phuket.

For example (not real for demonstration purposes only)

6. Proof of residence is required at some locations*

*Phuket has special form available only at Phuket immigration. *Jomtien takes almost any proof *Rayong does not require proof of residence.

7. Letter from bank verifying balance is required at all locations*

*Phuket requires it on the same day as the application (which means no extensions done till after 10AM in the morning), *Jomtien one day old is acceptable *Rayong, a couple of days old is OK.

8. Copies of your passport*

* Phuket requires 3 copies of every page of your passport. *Jomtien requires copies of the first page and visa pages of your passport. *Rayong requires copies of the first page, visa page and 90 day report.

What is the number one question asked on Thai Visa after where can one find Marmite? Is it just me or is that question, "What does one need to do a retirement (visa) extension?"

Edited by lostoday

lostoday

"* Phuket requires 3 copies of every page of your passport."

Where was this nonsense dredged up from ?

I have renewed an "extension of stay" in Phuket many times and have NEVER been asked for 3 copies of anything.

Nor have I ever been asked for copies of "ALL" the pages in my passport !

Why do some people enjoy indulging their pathetic rumormongering nonsense ?

Because you can't read don't blame me.

I wrote, "For example (not real for demonstration purposes only).

That means For example (not real for demonstration purposes only)biggrin.png

Not real means not real!wai.gif

Edited by lostoday
  • Like 1

I really don't trust a third party to translate because they may change things

and I'd rather see what the Thai Immigration has to say about it.

Easy solution for you: just learn to read Thai. smile.png

And seriously, why all this mess about Retirement Extensions ? Thousands of people get one every year and - in most cases - without any problem.

Yes some local offices can ask this year a document they didn't ask before, but how difficult is it to ask Google, about one month before your renewal date, what other people are asked at your local immigration ? Very easy, and no problem at 99.99% smile.png

It looks like the main problem is the variance in local rules.

It's very annoying. You don't really know what is required from one year to another.

I pity someone living 50 km from the office.

It's a 250Km round trip to my designated office....and they don't accept mail in reports

• Like 2

lostoday

"* Phuket requires 3 copies of every page of your passport."

Where was this nonsense dredged up from ?

I have renewed an "extension of stay" in Phuket many times and have NEVER been asked for 3 copies of anything.

Nor have I ever been asked for copies of "ALL" the pages in my passport !

Why do some people enjoy indulging their pathetic rumormongering nonsense ?

Because you can't read don't blame me.

I wrote, "For example (not real for demonstration purposes only).

That means For example (not real for demonstration purposes only)biggrin.png

Not real means not real!wai.gif

Why post "unreal " nonsense ?

What is the purpose ?

I recommend that you change your circle of acquaintances!

• Like 1

I really don't trust a third party to translate because they may change things

and I'd rather see what the Thai Immigration has to say about it.

Easy solution for you: just learn to read Thai. smile.png

And seriously, why all this mess about Retirement Extensions ? Thousands of people get one every year and - in most cases - without any problem.

Yes some local offices can ask this year a document they didn't ask before, but how difficult is it to ask Google, about one month before your renewal date, what other people are asked at your local immigration ? Very easy, and no problem at 99.99% smile.png

I read Thai Visa in hopes of getting Thai Visa information. Do you find that odd?

I don't think lawyers as a group are trustworthy. I think many folks would agree with me.

Do you really think it is too much to ask that Thai Immigration have information about Thai immigration in English? It's not like Thai Immigration is for Thai people now is it?

Edited by lostoday

I don't think lawyers as a group are trustworthy. I think many folks would agree with me.

Do you really think it is too much to ask that Thai Immigration have information about Thai immigration in English? It's not like Thai Immigration is for Thai people now is it?

I use 4 different translators for various services. I have no issue with any of them.

I have never had an issue with Thai immigration.

I wonder of the UK immigration website is available in Thai ?

i wonder if you can complete a UK visa application in Thai ?

It's not like UK immigration is for English people now.......... is it?

• Like 1

I use 4 different translators for various services. I have no issue with any of them.

So who are you that I would care? My comment was about Thai Immigration translated by private law firms and not the Thai government.

So who are you? Why would I care if you have had an issue with Thai Immigration?

What does UK immigration have to do with Thailand?

Thailand Immigration prints all Immigration forms in English except they don't print what forms you need and what documentation you need with those forms in English.

You don't find it odd that all forms are printed in English but the instructions are in Thai?

You have not figured out why they don't print them in English or at all? Aw come on. If a traffic cop can make up the speed limit what happens?

Edited by lostoday

Commonly referred to as 'blame the victim'. Still, would expect little else from this poster.

• Like 1

Thailand Immigration prints all Immigration forms in English except they don't print what forms you need and what documentation you need with those forms in English.

They do have some instructions in English but you need to be using internet explorer to open them,.

See: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service

I am certain some of the info is out of date though.

So who are you that I would care? My comment was about Thai Immigration translated by private law firms and not the Thai government.

So who are you? Why would I care if you have had an issue with Thai Immigration?

What does UK immigration have to do with Thailand?

You don't find it odd that all forms are printed in English but the instructions are in Thai?

You have not figured out why they don't print them in English or at all? Aw come on. If a traffic cop can make up the speed limit what happens?

You just don't get it, do you?............................ and I somehow suspect you never will.

• Like 1

They do have some instructions in English but you need to be using internet explorer to open them,.

See: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service

I am certain some of the info is out of date though.

This is what I found at the Thai immigration site with IE.

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or

4. Account deposited (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

List of documents for extension of stay in case of Retirement
Application Form ( TM 7) with one photograph (size 4x6 cm.)
Passport and its photocopy with certified true copy by the alien
Application fee: 1,900 Baht
Documents required are as follows;
The account deposit with the bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht.
The proof of such evidence is the updated bank passbook with the certified letter from the bank showing the money in the account of not less than 800,000 Baht which has been deposited in the account for the previous 3 months. OR
Income from pension/social welfare of not less than 65,000 Baht per month.
The proof of such evidence is a letter from the applicant's Embassy or Consulate in Thailand to certify that the applicant receives pension or other income of not less than 65,000 Baht per month. OR
A combination of the account deposite in the bank plus income (from pension or other source per yearX witha combined total of not less than 800,000 Baht.
Did I miss anything?
I didn't see proof of residence or many of the things discussed daily on Thai Visa.
Is there a pinned thread somewhere that lists the things needed for an extension?
Or is there an immigration site that lists anything more than I found above?

Commonly referred to as 'blame the victim'. Still, would expect little else from this poster.

Commonly referred to as a flame. The question was which one is the Thai immigration requirements in English. If you can stop flaming and respond to the question maybe you could refer me to a pinned thread that lists requirements for an retirement extension or a Thai Immigration website that lists all the documents necessary for an retirement extension.

Simple really two questions. 1. Thai Visa pinned thread for requirements of a retirement extension of stay and or 2. Thai Immigration site with required documents listed for a retirement extension.

It is a yes here it is or a no, no such thing answer. I didn't ask why or why not. I didn't ask for your opinion of my question. It is a simple request for information discussing what is probably one of the most frequently question asked on Thai Visa. If you don't like me or my question don't answer.

Why and try to start a flame war by writing, "Commonly referred to as 'blame the victim'. Still, would expect little else from this poster."

• Like 1

You just don't get it, do you?............................ and I somehow suspect you never will.

No problem. You could help me get it. 1. Where is a Thai Visa pinned thread with the requirements and required documents for a retirement extension. Or. 2. Where is a Thai Immigration thread in English with the required documents and requirements for a retirement extension.

Easy peasy. Just show me the links. If I wanted the information from the Pattaya expats club I would go there but I don't. I want information from Thai Visa or Thai Immigration both of which I think are reputable.

lostoday,

Is something like this what you are asking about? It;s not a "thread", but is from the main Thailand Immigration web site.

Yes I listed all of those requirements in post #200 but it is hardly a definitive list of things wanted by Immigration. Read it and you will see all of the omissions.

Doubt he is looking for that.

Much to "difficult" to find, read and understand smile.png

Flamer number 3. Getting quite a little following aren't I. Must be stepping on some toes. What is your excuse for not answering my two questions? 1. Where is a Thai Visa pinned thread with the requirements and required documents for a retirement extension. Or. 2. Where is a Thai Immigration thread in English with the required documents and requirements for a retirement extension.

What bothers you about answering a simple question? Put up a link or say it does not exist.

Bank letters, who, what, where, and when? Residency, who,what, where,and when? Proof of embassy letter income, who, what, where and when? Bank accounts (what kinds), who what where and when? All the questions asked every day on Thai Visa....

Edited by lostoday

Flamer number 3. Getting quite a little following aren't I. Must be stepping on some toes. What is your excuse for not answering my two questions? 1. Where is a Thai Visa pinned thread with the requirements and required documents for a retirement extension. Or. 2. Where is a Thai Immigration thread in English with the required documents and requirements for a retirement extension.

Basically, the requirements and required documents for a retirement extension are dependent on the following 3 things:-

(1) The immigration office at which the retirement extension is sought.

(2) The particular officer within that office who processes the retirement extension.

(3) The side of the bed which that particular officer got out of that morning.

• Like 1

Basically, the requirements and required documents for a retirement extension are dependent on the following 3 things:-

(2) The particular officer within that office who processes the retirement extension.

And someone willing to record all of the above information for the rest of us. Maybe someone should start a website with that thought in mind. What would you call it? Thai Extensions? Sounds catchy.

And someone willing to record all of the above information for the rest of us. Maybe someone should start a website with that thought in mind. What would you call it? Thai Extensions? Sounds catchy.

Well don't look to me to do this then, matey! I certainly have no interest in starting a new thread which would very rapidly put the one at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777922-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/ to shame as regards its length!!

• Like 1

Commonly referred to as a flame. The question was which one is the Thai immigration requirements in English. If you can stop flaming and respond to the question maybe you could refer me to a pinned thread that lists requirements for an retirement extension or a Thai Immigration website that lists all the documents necessary for an retirement extension.

Simple really two questions. 1. Thai Visa pinned thread for requirements of a retirement extension of stay and or 2. Thai Immigration site with required documents listed for a retirement extension.

It is a yes here it is or a no, no such thing answer. I didn't ask why or why not. I didn't ask for your opinion of my question. It is a simple request for information discussing what is probably one of the most frequently question asked on Thai Visa. If you don't like me or my question don't answer.

Why and try to start a flame war by writing, "Commonly referred to as 'blame the victim'. Still, would expect little else from this poster."

Apologies, friendly fire. The comment was intended for the troll. I posted a second message to correct but it is not showing.