Retirement Visa New Rules?

I did my Retirement extension 3 weeks ago and supplied them with an electric bill from my address and that was accepted.

But, will it be sufficient NEXT time, and will you know before you go?

I wasn't asked last time, but next time I'll have to take map, house owner's blue book and ID copy and rental agreement just to be on the safe side in case they make it up again. Will I have to take the house owner as well????????

This is no way to run a government department.

If Thai Visa pinned a thread about what is required at each immigration area it would be easy to tell what you needed.

How would that work when they change it all the time? The only thing that works is taking everything possible and hoping they had a naughty the night before. When they can just make it up there is never certainty.

I did my Retirement extension 3 weeks ago and supplied them with an electric bill from my address and that was accepted.

I wasn't asked last time, but next time I'll have to take map, house owner's blue book and ID copy and rental agreement just to be on the safe side in case they make it up again. Will I have to take the house owner as well????????

If Thai Visa pinned a thread about what is required at each immigration area it would be easy to tell what you needed.

How would that work when they change it all the time? The only thing that works is taking everything possible and hoping they had a naughty the night before. When they can just make it up there is never certainty.

If each area had a pinned thread it would become obvious that only three areas are outside of the rest in asking for nutty stuff. Phuket, some place in Issan and one other.

Pattaya stays consistent it seems and it would be nice to see a thread confirming what is being asked for 99% of the time. The only people who would disagree, in my opinion, are those who profit from the Visa/Immigration process being made complicated. I don't want to sift through the weird requirements for Phuket every time I want to prepare for an extension.

Edited by lostoday

What I do is monitor TV for any reported changes (at my designated office - Kap Choeng) and close to my renewal date I ask my local drinking mates if they are aware of any local idiosyncrasies that I need to be aware of....never had a problem yet.....

If each area had a pinned thread it would become obvious that only three areas are outside of the rest in asking for nutty stuff. Phuket, some place in Issan and one other.

Pattaya stays consistent it seems and it would be nice to see a thread confirming what is being asked for 99% of the time. The only people who would disagree, in my opinion, are those who profit from the Visa/Immigration process being made complicated. I don't want to sift through the weird requirements for Phuket every time I want to prepare for an extension.

Posting our own 'before and after' experiences on the relevent local pages should be standard practice per annum.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

I would have to agree with the request above that one should, "Posting our own 'before and after' experiences on the relevent local pages should be standard practice per annum."

Especially if there existed a relevant local page.

That would make applying for a yearly extension a no brainer and even easy enough for us old fellows to follow.

You would only have to look in one place as opposed to the present 319 different locations that discuss some kind of visa renewal or extension.

Last night I queried 34 efficiency experts who all agreed the number 1 way to promote efficiency is to have your information readily available and in one central location.

In the all caps yelling post above I'd point out that it ain't necessarily so as they didn't ask me the last time I applied in Jomtien and where would one look for an official (Thai Immigration Jomtien) list of required information.

• Like 2

I would have to agree with the request above that one should, "Posting our own 'before and after' experiences on the relevent local pages should be standard practice per annum."

Especially if there existed a relevant local page.

That would make applying for a yearly extension a no brainer and even easy enough for us old fellows to follow.

You would only have to look in one place as opposed to the present 319 different locations that discuss some kind of visa renewal or extension.

Last night I queried 34 efficiency experts who all agreed the number 1 way to promote efficiency is to have your information readily available and in one central location.

There are about 50 immigration offices.

That would mean a sub forum with 50 pinned topics for each office.

Not very practical to do or maintain.

• Like 2

What about just a couple pinned threads for member "trip reports" on specific Immigration transactions, like one for retirement extensions, and another for marriage extensions, describing what was required and other basics.

No general questions or discussions, no how to do's. Just member trip reports on what happened with their retirement renewal or marriage renewal, and what was required.

And make it a requirement, enforced by the mods, that each post has to start with the Immigration office location involved.

That would cover it, and then everyone would know where to look each year, and just be able to go to the end of the thread to see the latest.

Each year, when I do my retirement extension, I always post a trip report, but usually do it in whatever is the then current running thread on retirement extensions, of which there are MANY!!!... But a year later, when I go to do it again, that prior thread has by then been lost into obscurity.

An ongoing pinned thread on member reports for retirement extension requirements, and a similar one for marriage extensions, ought to cover things pretty well...

How about it????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Issan, Eastern, Krabi and Chiang Rai are already sub forums. One pinned thread in each area (in my opinion) would cover 97% of the postings about requirements of a visa extension. In fact, Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Pattaya would probably cover 80%.

There are fellows on here who never list what visa extension they are applying for or where they are applying and start a thread with some one off weird requirement.

If there was one pinned thread per area it would take care of most of the scare mongers and make it easier for 90% of us to get accurate information.

This thread is a good example. There are no new rules and we have had 160 posts about it.

Edited by lostoday

But then there are marriage extensions vs retirement extensions for each area... and Isaan has multiple Immigration offices.

I still think a cleaner, simply way would be to separate the threads by subject (one for marriage and one for retirement) and then simply require that posters specify which office they're posting on.

That would be two pinned threads, vs. a lot more if you start breaking them out into every different geographic subforum region.

Besides, the odd ball Immigration offices with different from the rest requirements aren't aligned with the ThaiVisa subforum regions. And usually right now, AFAIK, the visa/extension posts/threads get put into the VISA/Extensions forum, and not the local/regional topic forums, generally speaking.

Personally, I think either approach would be an improvement. But my guess is, the TV Mods and such, if they were to agree, would prefer a simpler, fewer different threads approach.

• Like 1

SAME RULES AS BEFORE "YOU NEED TO PROVIDE PROOF A RESIDENCE" IT HAS BEEN MANDATORY IN JOMTIEN FOR YEARS, A COPY OF A RENTAL AGREEMENT ETC.

NOTHING NEW HERE. SOMEBODY NEED TO READ THE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE GOING THERE?????

"Shouting" is rude and unnecessary

Turn off the CAP LOCK !

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

SAME RULES AS BEFORE "YOU NEED TO PROVIDE PROOF A RESIDENCE" IT HAS BEEN MANDATORY IN JOMTIEN FOR YEARS, A COPY OF A RENTAL AGREEMENT ETC.

NOTHING NEW HERE. SOMEBODY NEED TO READ THE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE GOING THERE?????

"Shouting" is rude and unnecessary

Turn off the CAP LOCK !

Thank you...

But then there are marriage extensions vs retirement extensions for each area... and Isaan has multiple Immigration offices.

I still think a cleaner, simply way would be to separate the threads by subject (one for marriage and one for retirement) and then simply require that posters specify which office they're posting on.

That would be two pinned threads, vs. a lot more if you start breaking them out into every different geographic subforum region.

Besides, the odd ball Immigration offices with different from the rest requirements aren't aligned with the ThaiVisa subforum regions. And usually right now, AFAIK, the visa/extension posts/threads get put into the VISA/Extensions forum, and not the local/regional topic forums, generally speaking.

Personally, I think either approach would be an improvement. But my guess is, the TV Mods and such, if they were to agree, would prefer a simpler, fewer different threads approach.

Unless I've missed it there is no information about extensions pinned at the top of this forum. Maybe I'm wrong but aren't there a lot of posts on here about extensions? You would think there would be some list pinned somewhere? Maybe there is and I just don't know about it. Extensions and 90 day reports seem to be most of the questions.

Of course this is Thai Visa and not Thai Extension so ........

I'm not sure I follow your point here...

Yes, there are no pinned threads in the visas forum relating to extension of stay requirements at the different Immigration offices.

There is a pinned thread on Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region for countries outside Thailand that's locked and only accessible via the mods, and appears to be significantly out of date based on the dates of the few posts listed for each different location.

I believe, there'd be plenty of posts ongoing if we had specific pinned threads on marriage extension and retirement extension trip reports. Right now, though, all that info is spread out among many dozens of different threads with no easy or clear way to find it.

I'm not sure I follow your point here...

Yes, there are no pinned threads in the visas forum relating to extension of stay requirements at the different Immigration offices.

There is a pinned thread on Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region for countries outside Thailand that's locked and only accessible via the mods, and appears to be significantly out of date based on the dates of the few posts listed for each different location.

I believe, there'd be plenty of posts ongoing if we had specific pinned threads on marriage extension and retirement extension trip reports. Right now, though, all that info is spread out among many dozens of different threads with no easy or clear way to find it.

Agree 100%. Pinned threads on retirement and marriage extensions and trip reports. Require dates, location and be specific. For example what does proof of address mean, lease, receipt for rent? Hotel registration? Or what?

Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Issan, Eastern, Krabi and Chiang Rai are already sub forums. One pinned thread in each area (in my opinion) would cover 97% of the postings about requirements of a visa extension. In fact, Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Pattaya would probably cover 80%.

There are fellows on here who never list what visa extension they are applying for or where they are applying and start a thread with some one off weird requirement.

If there was one pinned thread per area it would take care of most of the scare mongers and make it easier for 90% of us to get accurate information.

This thread is a good example. There are no new rules and we have had 160 posts about it.

There are no new rules

Rubbish. Every time I have gone for an extension there has been a "new" rule.

• Like 1

There are no new rules

For you personally? Name one. Tell the truth.

There are no new rules

The "NEW" rules must be reserved and only applied to very "special" TV members

coffee1.gif

There are no new rules

First time- no requirement to update bank book on the day, no proof of address needed.

Second time- had to update bank book on the day, no proof of address needed.

Third time- proof of address.

Next time- who knows?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Those are local office requirements not rules. The only rules are in the police order for extensions of stay. A new police order was issued last year and the one before that was in 2008.

• Like 1

There are no new rules

First time- no requirement to update bank book on the day, no proof of address needed.

Second time- had to update bank book on the day

Third time- proof of address.

Next time- who knows?

That is my point. Not new rules but new for you because there is no pinned thread to list the experiences of others. Update bank book and proof of address is rather vague. I'm sure those requirements have been requested before. Sometimes update bank book with a 3 month statement sometimes not. Proof of address with a power bill or hotel receipt or lease? If all of those experiences were listed someplace then they would not be new requirements. No one has ever asked me for anything except for a bank book and letter updated the day before and never a proof of address. But if I was asked for those things I would not consider them new rules as I have read about them before.

The following was from my experience this morning:

I had all forms with pictures filled out. All copies of relevant Passport entries even My Thai drivers licence with address on the back. A letter from the US embassy notarized income. My Thai bank account with letter from bank dated last Thursday. A copy of paid electric and water bill. They cared not one bit about the US embassy notarized letter. They wanted a new bank letter updated today. Also they wanted Proof from the landlord of citizenship, Chanook and rental agreement. That rule might have been around for years, but for the last six years a paid electric bill always sufficed. I have friends who have received their extension in the past two weeks. No problems.Things are not the same today. I am not writing this to stir the pot just stating the facts.

Those are local office requirements not rules. The only rules are in the police order for extensions of stay. A new police order was issued last year and the one before that was in 2008.

Would it be possible to publish those in a pinned thread?

How can a local office make up stuff for a national requirement? That is mai dee.

The following was from my experience this morning:

I had all forms with pictures filled out. All copies of relevant Passport entries even My Thai drivers licence with address on the back. A letter from the US embassy notarized income. My Thai bank account with letter from bank dated last Thursday. A copy of paid electric and water bill. They cared not one bit about the US embassy notarized letter. They wanted a new bank letter updated today. Also they wanted Proof from the landlord of citizenship, Chanook and rental agreement. That rule might have been around for years, but for the last six years a paid electric bill always sufficed. I have friends who have received their extension in the past two weeks. No problems.Things are not the same today. I am not writing this to stir the pot just stating the facts.

If you were not writing to stir the pot you would have listed what you were applying for and where and under what conditions and probably would have more than a couple of posts discussing the issues.

Edited by lostoday

The police orders just list the the rules for and requirements to get an extension. The do not go into detail on the documents required.

The police orders and other info can be found in this pined topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions/

Answer.

What does the Visa Expiration Date Mean? The visa expiration date is shown on the visa. Depending on the alien’s nationality, visas can be issued for any number of entries, from as little as one entry to as many as multiple (unlimited) entries, for the same purpose of travel.

• This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel for the same purpose, when the visa is issued for multiple entry.
  • This time period from the visa issuance date to visa expiration date as shown on the visa, is called visa validity. If you travel frequently as a tourist for example, with a multiple entry visa, you do not have to apply for a new visa each time you want to travel to Thailand.
  • The visa validity is the length of time you are permitted to travel to a port-of-entry in Thailand to request permission of the immigration officer to permit you to enter Thailand. The visa does not guarantee entry to Thailand.
  • The Expiration Date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in Thailand, given to you by the immigration officer at port-of-entry. The visa expiration date has nothing to do with the authorized length of your stay in Thailand for any given visit.
  • Each time you arrive at the port-of-entry, an immigration officer decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter Thailand.

I didn't make anything red but the red has nothing to do with the document linked? I don't see what the topic has to do with the writing in red and the linked answer.

As somebody who's researching a retirement visa for when they hit 50 (in 9 months time) I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it might be better to just get the Thai Elite Visa (hey, it's my money) & hope that they get their act together over the 5 years that gives.

The police orders just list the the rules for and requirements to get an extension. The do not go into detail on the documents required.

The police orders and other info can be found in this pined topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions/

I am amazed by the number of people who "complain" about "rules" being "changed" !

I feel left out !

Why are the "changes" not imposed on me ?

Why do I just make a short visit to immigration once per year and come away with a new "extension of stay" without any drama being evoked ?

Maybe some create their own problems ? coffee1.gif

• Like 1