Retirement Visa New Rules?

My post is a photo of a document that was given to me by the immigration office at Lop Buri, it is what they require and I have no problem with complying.

I don't need to link to anything I know what the (very friendly and helpful) immigration office I attend requires and I provide it.

Up to you what you do and what you believe but I give you a word of advice.

Get rid of your negative and provocative attitude and you will find dealing with immigration, and life in general in Thailand, much easier.

Thanks for the advice. I've always given immigration anything they asked for in a timely manner and never had any problems. I have never given them more than they asked for.

That was my point. Don't make up requirements, like maps to your house or photos of you and the Mrs when applying for a retirement visa. Don't give em any ideas how to make it harder for us poor old expats.

I also think it is a big mistake to take your wife when applying for a retirement visa. Nothing to do with her and only creates problems. But that's my opinion.

You have the advantage when they think they have to explain stuff in English.

Don't smile, don't frown, be neutral and nice and act dumb rather than smart. But that's only my opinion. Your milage may vary.

I was applying an Extension Of Stay based on retirement. Not a retirement visa. Documents must be different for a retirement visa

I do smile, interact with the Immigration staff I deal with and take my wife with me

There is NO "Retirement Visa" that can be applied for inside or outside Thailand !

You were wise and well informed in applying for an "Extension Of Stay based on retirement." smile.png

Not true. It is the only Visa that is routinely issued in Thailand by Thai Immigration. It is a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa and additionally a stamp in Thai Non "O" Retirement is added. I came in on a 30 day extension, went to Bangkok Immigration and showed B800,000 in the Bank and went through several stages to get the one year stay. The first stage is they issue the Non "O" Visa and then it is stamped used and they issued you with the permission to stay with duration. Initially you will get 3 months while the B800,000 ages and then if it is still in your bank, the permit to stay is extended to the full year.

Many offices ask for proof of residence like he was asked for. I don't recall it being asked for at Jomtien before but I suspect it is not that unusual.

For the last 5 years at Jomtien I have provided a copy of my rental agreement and I've never been asked for more than that as far as where I am living.

So, if as the OP is stating, Jomtien is now asking for copies of the owner's ID and house-book then this is new and it would be nice to know before my upcoming extension in early August.

Has anyone done an extension at Jomtien recently and been asked to provide more than a rental agreement or utility bill or both lately. These are easy to come by.

• Like 1

In April I was asked for proof of resident when applying for extension. Never been asked before other than for the 90 day notice. Took them a copy of my TOT bill which is the only thing with my name on it. Did the trick just like for the 90 day report..

Udon Thani not only requires proof of residence they want maps showing location.

Had a laugh 2 years ago, the maps I provide are actual road maps with our home highlited, the poor woman looked at them right side up, then up side down -- then asked me to draw a 'stick' map on a sheet of paper. Like TW she could not read them. 55555

Edited by bdenner

Here on Koh Samui immigration they request that you now show either a lease agreement or a house book last year they were also insisting that you had to provide a copy of your property on google map but when I was doing my 90 day report the other day I noted that it is no longer shown as a requirement I will be renewing my extension of stay next month and it will be the first time after nine years of applying that I would have had to provide my house book or lease agreement I would have though an electric bill or the financial letter from the embassy which shows your address would have been good enough but as we know the Thais love paperwork for some reason where they store all this stuff beggars belief !

• Like 1

Just done mine yesterday at Phitsanulok, No problem, TM7 form, copy of passport, copy of Original Visa, copy of departure card.Letter from embassy for proof of pension earnings, Job done. I also got a re-entree stamp as I may go to europe later in the year,no fixed date but no problem and they put me on the report by post system again. All done in 10-15 mins. Same every year ,great place to do the visa, 175 kl from my home so its hassle free and i only go once a year.!!!!!!! Nice friendly staff.

Edited by bob009

Many offices ask for proof of residence like he was asked for. I don't recall it being asked for at Jomtien before but I suspect it is not that unusual.

Ok but why can someone go in and get a proof of residence with a cable bill and they are asking for copy of owner's passport (he is not the owner), land document, condo letter, rental agreements etc.?

So get the proof of residence certificate (100 baht) and submit it with one's "retirement" extension paperwork.

100B, thats quite low - here in CM (opp. Promenada) a corrupt officer want 500B unless you want to wait 1 month. We decided to wait since we were not in a hurry. When we picked it up, the corrupt officer told us they would not give any more Cert. Res. and we would have to go to BKK to get it at my Embassy. The officer has of course been reported to NACC that will follow up on him

The ned a certifikat of Residens, later he can get a Retement

This is the resen the ask for all paper.

Hi ubonjoe,

I don't know why many people criticise Jomtien Immigration because I was told when I did my first retirement extension in February 2008 to provide a copy of my rental agreement along with the other required paperwork which I did & no problems at all. Done the same every year ( 8 in total ) & no problems ever, I've also had Residence letters to obtain driving licences, & of course done the 90 day reports with no problems.

If you provide all of the required paperwork I've found that they are polite & very helpful.

As has been stated, it seems that different Immigration offices require different paperwork . Why ???.......................because T I T .

I type from a pamphlet provided by Udon Thani Immigration office...................

Application for retirement extension ( as of 3rd dec 2008)

items # 1 - # 9 These cover passport, photo , copy of visa , proof of funds etc etc

#10. Copy of house registration book, for the applicant reside in ( sic)( bring original book too)

#12 .Complete map from home residence to immigration office.

#13. Other needed documents as informed by immigration Officer.

Of course # 13 is the catch all clause..............................you wont know what the officer wants until he asks for it ............................

So take everything you can think of that will assist in your application.

To my mind .............better to be prepared the first visit, rather than have to go away and return another day .

As has been stated, it seems that different Immigration offices require different paperwork . Why ???.......................because T I T .

<snip>

#10. Copy of house registration book, for the applicant reside in ( sic)( bring original book too)

<snip>

#10 as written would be a deal breaker for many, I'm sure most landlords would simply dole out the original house book to a tenant so they can satisfy the ever-changing whims of immigrations. The landlord probably be so overjoyed at the prospect of cooperating that they would also let you borrow their ID card as well.

• Like 1

Lostoday

I feel sorry for you.your attitude.

If you have documents you know will assist with your application why not supply copies.

I also requested a 90 day peport at the same time. When my passport was returned to me 20 minutes later my extension was stamped in my passport and my 90 day report had been completed.

No documents were required for 90 day report.

Have a nice day

Why feed the beast?

I type from a pamphlet provided by Udon Thani Immigration office...................

Application for retirement extension ( as of 3rd dec 2008)

items # 1 - # 9 These cover passport, photo , copy of visa , proof of funds etc etc

#12 .Complete map from home residence to immigration office.

#13. Other needed documents as informed by immigration Officer.

Of course # 13 is the catch all clause..............................you wont know what the officer wants until he asks for it ............................

So take everything you can think of that will assist in your application.

To my mind .............better to be prepared the first visit, rather than have to go away and return another day .

7 years ago. I wonder if is the same today?

This year i changed from a rental property to live in the girlfriends village home. I dont have a rental agreement anymore so need advice for residency confirmation for my future visa extention based on retirement. I have also been advised that she somehow has to advise immigration that there is an alien residing in her house. I live in the Lampang area that does not have a local immigration office.

My wife and I went to the police station and they wrote my details in their book.

However, be better if you could take the proper form. I didn't have one when I moved.

Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration on Jomtien Soi 5 does ask for proof of residence- but not every time - but from expats I talk to, more often than not. I always include a copy of my lease agreement - so far, I have never been asked about documents from owner.

My question - was OP getting a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa from Jomtien Immigration? They quit doing it several months ago as apparently Bangkok relieved them of that authority - folks had to go to Bangkok to get the Visa - BUT I heard recently, they may be taking the application, but sending it to Bangkok for approval before issuing it.

One of these days YOU won't have the required documentation and won't be able to get it before your extension expires. What ya gonna do then?

Just keep telling yourself that it's OK for them to make up requirements just to stuff the stupid farangs around.

The requirements for address are satisfied when you move somewhere and give the correct form to immigration. Also satisfied by the 90 day rule- why the need to do it every year?

If it wasn't required two years ago, what has changed that it is needed now?

This is not the work of people that wish us to stay in LOS.

One of these days YOU won't have the required documentation and won't be able to get it before your extension expires. What ya gonna do then?

Just keep telling yourself that it's OK for them to make up requirements just to stuff the stupid farangs around.

The requirements for address are satisfied when you move somewhere and give the correct form to immigration. Also satisfied by the 90 day rule- why the need to do it every year?

For minor paperwork issues, they sometimes give a short (7 day) extension. If not, what's the problem...just hop over the border to the nearest Thai embassy and get another "O" visa and wash, rinse, and repeat your one-year extension.

You can apply 30 to 45 days in advance. Always a good idea. Also no bribes because the official knows you have time to get anything he may require.

You can apply 30 to 45 days in advance. Always a good idea. Also no bribes because the official knows you have time to get anything he may require.

Not sure you can apply that early in advance (45 days) but 15 days certainly and should be more than enough time to produce any required paperwork.

It's not the rental agreement that is the hassle it is getting copies of the owner's passport and the house book as the guy lives in Europe.

Emailed copies from doing a scan of them should be enough.

Half the old guys I see at immigration still have 10 year old Nokia dumbphones...most have probably never sent an email...scanning.attaching, and emailing documents would blow their minds.

The smart guys are going back to dumb phones as they fit in the pocket and don't go flat half way through the day.We have our pc's home.We are not so insecure that we need to be "connected" every minute of every day.

• Like 1

I provided a copy of the Lease Agreement, a copy of the Thai property owner's legal documents what ever they are called, and a copy of the Thai owner's Thai National ID Card. It is a good thing I took them as they ask for them ... looked at every page closely. Krabi Imm.

I actually presented the original of the lease agreement but gave them a copy to keep.

I found that having extra documentation such as a water bill, cable bill, electric bill - even though they did not want them - and gave them back... I believe It showed that my efforts were to show authentic information and over all it seem to help in the 'atmosphere / tone' in the meeting. Having more information than required shows good faith in my opinion.

It just shows your a try hard.Give them what they want,but know more.Nobody likes to shift through unwanted paperwork,day in,day out.Keep the backup in a folder,just incase they ask for it.I was a scout once and still rememember,be prepared,

• Like 1

Ok but why can someone go in and get a proof of residence with a cable bill and they are asking for copy of owner's passport (he is not the owner), land document, condo letter, rental agreements etc.?

So get the proof of residence certificate (100 baht) and submit it with one's "retirement" extension paperwork.

As far as I can remember I have always had to supply documentary proof of residence for my annual extension based on retirement at Jomtien, but they won't accept a resident certificate as proof of address. I've always just supplied a copy of my wife's Tabien Baan and ID card and that's been perfectly acceptable.

But two years ago my DL needed renewing around the same time as my extension so I got a residence certificate from Jomtien (for the DL renewal) and offered a copy of it as proof of residence for my retirement extension. I was told the residence certificate wasn't acceptable proof, even though it was issued by that very office just two days previously. The person next in line to me was told the same thing. Not a problem for me as I had copies of my wife's documents with me as well anyway.

But it did make me smile, apart from my passport and photos etc (that I also supply for the retirement extension), the proof they'd needed to issue the residence certificate was............a copy of my wife's Tabien Baan and ID card clap2.gif

@ lostoday.....................

yes , the pamphlet had that date ..........7 yrs ago .

But the pamphlet was handed to me by the immigration officer last month ..................and can be picked up from the table at the entry to Udon Thani immigration office today.

Dont blame me if they dont update the dates on their paperwork .

I was simply advising what information is provided at Udon Thani Immigration office today and is considered by Udon Thani office to be current , relevant and required.