Retirement Visa New Rules?

The police orders just list the the rules for and requirements to get an extension. The do not go into detail on the documents required.

The police orders and other info can be found in this pined topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions/

I am amazed by the number of people who "complain" about "rules" being "changed" !

I feel left out !

Why are the "changes" not imposed on me ?

Why do I just make a short visit to immigration once per year and come away with a new "extension of stay" without any drama being evoked ?

Maybe some create their own problems ? coffee1.gif

There are a growing number of people people who are coming on the boards saying that all sorts of extras are now being required, things that simply haven't been required before and that can't be anticipated in some cases. At least one person seems to have been left without the desired visa, a visa he always got before, and was entitled to receive again.

Your attitude seems to be they are either lying, or have brought the situation on themselves!

"Why are the "changes" not imposed on me ?", you ask, well I'm sure many on this forum live in hope.

• Like 2

The police orders just list the the rules for and requirements to get an extension. The do not go into detail on the documents required.

The police orders and other info can be found in this pined topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions/

I am amazed by the number of people who "complain" about "rules" being "changed" !

I feel left out !

Why are the "changes" not imposed on me ?

Why do I just make a short visit to immigration once per year and come away with a new "extension of stay" without any drama being evoked ?

Maybe some create their own problems ? coffee1.gif

There are a growing number of people people who are coming on the boards saying that all sorts of extras are now being required, things that simply haven't been required before and that can't be anticipated in some cases. At least one person seems to have been left without the desired visa, a visa he always got before, and was entitled to receive again.

Your attitude seems to be they are either lying, or have brought the situation on themselves!

"Why are the "changes" not imposed on me ?", you ask, well I'm sure many on this forum live in hope.

After many years I doubt the "changes" will affect me but you and others can continue to live in "hope"

I resent and reject your assertion that I was accusing anyone of lying !

Pull the neck in and shut that mouth !

No wonder some experience "problems"

NB

"Visas" are not normally provided by Thai Immigration Officers *

*ref

"At least one person seems to have been left without the desired visa, a visa he always got before, and was entitled to receive again."

Edited by nzexpat

@lostoday............................

I posted fairly early in this thread an extract from a printed document available at Udon Thani Immigration office which stated "their" requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement.

I say " their" requirements as I do not know what applies at other immigration offices ............as I do not use other immigration offices.

This printed document ( available on desk inside front door of Udon Thani Office) clearly states that "proof of residence" is required.

For me this proof has been my lovely Thai GF producing her housebook and her Thai ID card. That has satisfied Udon Thani Immigration officers.oh , and the stick map from home to Imm office.

Your " lovely" reply to me ( as you seem compelled to reply to each and every post on this thread), pointed out that the date of this document ( which I deliberately included in my previous response) was 2008. A date which Ubonjoe now advises was the last time the requirements were updated ( officially) --------------and I have learnt to trust Ubonjoe on all things visa related.

Despite the date , this document is handed out TODAY at Udon Thani Imm office as the list of requirements to be provided.

Why cant you just accept the fact that requirements do differ at each immigration office( and also change from time to time).................and simply learn what is required for your local office about 1 month before any re-newal is due.

If YOUR local immigration office does not require proof of residence ...................then good luck to you--------- if they do require it, just get it and have the paperwork available.

What was that old saying ...........................................you cant fight town hall . So why try .

Its just another part of the fabulous experience of living in exotic Thailand

A fairly simple process for the majority of people

Because they use the non standard requirements; stick map and girlfriend to extort bribes out of some people. I don't like to pay bribe for a service that is listed at 1900. I've been coming to exotic Thailand since the 1960's and the dew is off of my lily.

Some people like living in chaos with a new experience every time at a government office. I like to be prepared hence have been requesting a pinned thread for each 12 designated areas of Thai Visa locations.

It amazes me that you or anyone would not want up to date information before you went to apply for a retirement extension. That is all I am requesting. Up to date information for each of the 12 geographic locations of Thai Visa.

You wrote, " Why cant you just accept the fact that requirements do differ at each immigration office( and also change from time to time).................and simply learn what is required for your local office about 1 month before any re-newal is due."

Why oh why do you think it would be better for every expat to visit the immigration office every year asking for information rather than have a central location like Thai Visa or Thai immigration website to get such information?

I think everyone appreciates 90 day reporting on line and the requirements for 90 day reporting have been standardized across all of Thailand. It is possible for Thailand to standardize immigration requirements and eliminate attempts to manipulate the system for ill gotten gains.

Given the 90 day reporting as an example I also feel it is possible for Thailand immigration to standardize and keep update requirement for yearly extensions.

To repeat I'm not suggesting to have a listing for every immigration office but only pin a thread in the 12 locations already in existence for sharing information on getting yearly extensions.

• Like 1

Residents in local threads/media/FB are already doing it!

Recent example utilizing a sponsor: http://www.samuitimes.com/current-trends-at-samui-immigration-when-renewing-extensions-based-on-retirement/

HTH

It might be a nice idea to pin the threads so everyone could read them on the 12 different locations now reported about in Thai Visa? I realize new ideas take time and before Thai Visa had a law forum that was considered by many to be unrealistic and not workable too.

But gee, who would not want to have up to date extension document requirements all in one place or at least in the 12 locations that are now being looked at by Thai Visa members?

The information is free all the people who apply for an extension every year have the information and I would think would not mind reporting it. I frankly don't understand why I'm getting flamed for suggesting an such an obvious improvement.

@lostoday .............What is your REAL problem.

When I do my 90 report just before my application for extension is due ......I ask the immigration officer what is required for the extension. He handed me the written pamphlet I refer to .

Where have I mentioned here that any bribe was involved ? Another poster making up " facts" to suit his own agenda.

No chaos involved here . Everyone I have spoken to in Udon Thani has used the same information( from the pamphlet provided by immigration) and received their extension without any issue.

I get my "up to date information " from the immigration office ......................certainly NEVER from Thai visa forum.

As for my statement that you quote .......................well to my knowledge every govt department of every country continually changes/updates the requirements for what they deal with.

Just maybe the current administration in Thailand does want to make things harder for us Farang................but you will have to ask the general about that.

Also please remember that not ALL people on retirement/ marriage permissions to stay, speak/read English. The information in how many languages would satisfy you ? Oh wait ....TVF is only for the english .

Guess what -------------every ex-pat has to visit the immigration office ( probably) yearly to obtain their extension so it is no great hardship.Read the forums, see what issues people are currently experiencing and have whatever paperwork they say they have been asked for /...................................just in case you are asked for it. If not well at least you know you have it stored safely should you ever need it.

You praise the " on-line" reporting which doesnt work for far more than it does work.

And finally ...................are you volunteering to organise, update and moderate this pinned thread you keep harping on about ....................oh but only for the lucky 12 locations and bad luck to people in other areas.?

Thank you.

Is there any list of actual NATIONAL requirements posted on a government web site, or can they really just make up anything they like? Can they tell me next time I have to own a house? If they can make it up, what is to stop them requiring that?

This is something that might make me leave Thailand, when I thought there was nothing that could do that.

Out of control bureaucrats out to make life difficult for their clients have no place in a government department.

When I do my 90 report just before my application for extension is due ......I ask the immigration officer what is required for the extension. He handed me the written pamphlet I refer to .

Where have I mentioned here that any bribe was involved ? Another poster making up " facts" to suit his own agenda.

No chaos involved here . Everyone I have spoken to in Udon Thani has used the same information( from the pamphlet provided by immigration) and received their extension without any issue.

I get my "up to date information " from the immigration office ......................certainly NEVER from Thai visa forum.

As for my statement that you quote .......................well to my knowledge every govt department of every country continually changes/updates the requirements for what they deal with.

Just maybe the current administration in Thailand does want to make things harder for us Farang................but you will have to ask the general about that.

Also please remember that not ALL people on retirement/ marriage permissions to stay, speak/read English. The information in how many languages would satisfy you ? Oh wait ....TVF is only for the english .

Guess what -------------every ex-pat has to visit the immigration office ( probably) yearly to obtain their extension so it is no great hardship.Read the forums, see what issues people are currently experiencing and have whatever paperwork they say they have been asked for /...................................just in case you are asked for it. If not well at least you know you have it stored safely should you ever need it.

You praise the " on-line" reporting which doesnt work for far more than it does work.

And finally ...................are you volunteering to organise, update and moderate this pinned thread you keep harping on about ....................oh but only for the lucky 12 locations and bad luck to people in other areas.?

I will try and answer your questions one by one.

1. When I took my wife with me to immigration the officer made up a new requirement and tried to get money from me. I have never had this happen when I was alone because I act like I can't speak Thai and he gets frustrated and drops the odd new requirement.

2. Many immigration offices do not provide up to date information and Thai Visa has always been a good source for me to get information.

3. All of the immigration forms are available in English. I have never suggested they be in another language. The instructions and documents required are not in English if they exist or not up to date.

4. Many expats have to travel long distances to file immigration forms and it is not easy to run back and forth to fill changing or new requirements.

5. Thai Visa makes a lot of money providing a service that people go to - to get visa information. I'm sorry you don't but that is what Thai visa is about - Thai Visas.

I think I can sum up our two positions. I want change to a more efficient system that requires less time to accomplish a standardized objective. You want things as they are now and you have the time to spend going back and forth to immigration if necessary.

• Like 1

every ex-pat has to visit the immigration office ( probably) yearly to obtain their extension so it is no great hardship

Speak for yourself. I have to go to C M and pay to stay in an hotel. If I get turned down, I have to go back home to get the required documents, though that may require getting the in laws down from Chiang Rai, and then I have to stay in C M again going to the office at 4 am to try and get in the q. If that doesn't work, I have to go to Laos to get another non O.

Recent example utilizing a sponsor: http://www.samuitimes.com/current-trends-at-samui-immigration-when-renewing-extensions-based-on-retirement/

HTH

It might be a nice idea to pin the threads so everyone could read them on the 12 different locations now reported about in Thai Visa? I realize new ideas take time and before Thai Visa had a law forum that was considered by many to be unrealistic and not workable too.

But gee, who would not want to have up to date extension document requirements all in one place or at least in the 12 locations that are now being looked at by Thai Visa members?

The information is free all the people who apply for an extension every year have the information and I would think would not mind reporting it. I frankly don't understand why I'm getting flamed for suggesting an such an obvious improvement.

Pinning them doesn't work due to the frequency of change. Post a question in your local forum 6 weeks before you're due seeking latest local practice & follow the guidance of trusted posters who confirm they have just done it. When you have renewed post you own experience for others. Rinse & repeat per annum. Edited by evadgib

Thank you.

Is there any list of actual NATIONAL requirements posted on a government web site, or can they really just make up anything they like? Can they tell me next time I have to own a house? If they can make it up, what is to stop them requiring that?

This is something that might make me leave Thailand, when I thought there was nothing that could do that.

Out of control bureaucrats out to make life difficult for their clients have no place in a government department.

I think the shining example of the future is 90 day reporting. Not so much that it works on line or not but that it is standardized. As more things become computerized and standardized there will be less room for the petty bureaucrats that think they have a fiefdom as opposed to a government office.

The more reports that are shared and made standard and the more transparency and publicity that the requirements for any government transaction, the less chance for deviation from the requirement.

I think we all have an obligation to post and share information in hopes it becomes more dependent on the rule of law as opposed to the rule of one petty bureaucrat.

HTH

Pinning them doesn't work due to the frequency of change. Post a question in your local forum 6 weeks before you're due seeking latest local practice & follow the guidance of trusted posters who confirm they have just done it. When you have renewed post you own experience for others. Rinse & repeat per annum.

Why not? Pinning just identifies the thread.

The thread does not have to be locked as far as I know see above.

If everyone would follow your posting advice it might get a bit crowded as there are 160,000 members if I read the numbers correctly.

HTH

Pinning them doesn't work due to the frequency of change. Post a question in your local forum 6 weeks before you're due seeking latest local practice & follow the guidance of trusted posters who confirm they have just done it. When you have renewed post you own experience for others. Rinse & repeat per annum.

Evadgib................this is exactly what a large number of poster on this thread have stated and in fact already do.

The pamphlet I obtained from UDON THANI immigration had that final catch all requirement........................

"other needed documents as informed by immigration officer "

AND

" The immigration office reserves the right to ask for any other documentation not included in the present list".

To put it very simply .................they make the rules and we just have to jump. Some of us have the sense to investigate BEFORE we go to the immigration office-------just how high we have to jump this year. Others just want it to " be like back home ".

HTH

Evadgib................this is exactly what a large number of poster on this thread have stated and in fact already do.

The pamphlet I obtained from UDON THANI immigration had that final catch all requirement........................

"other needed documents as informed by immigration officer "

AND

" The immigration office reserves the right to ask for any other documentation not included in the present list".

To put it very simply .................they make the rules and we just have to jump. Some of us have the sense to investigate BEFORE we go to the immigration office-------just how high we have to jump this year. Others just want it to " be like back home ".

Home to me is Thailand I've been coming since the 1960's. I want to see Thailand get better and less corrupt. The 90 day standardization of address reporting is a start and it is only a matter of time before Thai Visa begins posting documents required in a central location and the government gets the idea.

There are people who thrive on being dominated by petty officials but I'm not one of them.

"There are people who thrive on being dominated by petty officials but I'm not one of them."

Neither am I ..................but I am a person who investigates current updated requirements for any dealings with any govt department in any country that I need to deal with .............and I provide what is requested. And I never have any problems .

"There are people who thrive on being dominated by petty officials but I'm not one of them."

Neither am I ..................but I am a person who investigates current updated requirements for any dealings with any govt department in any country that I need to deal with .............and I provide what is requested. And I never have any problems .

Good for you but you are not everyone. An official tried to get money out of me and I didn't like it. He would have not been able to if there were standardized document requirements and procedures posted by Thai Immigration.

I know people who have been hassled while filing a 90 day address report. No longer. Thailand has improved.

You seem to feel I am odd asking that the Thai government post what it wants and how it wants it for 1900 baht. For 1900 baht they can tell me what they want me to do specifically and enforce it. I don't feel I'm asking for too much or something unreasonable.

You wrote, "To put it very simply .................they make the rules and we just have to jump." I find that offensive. They make rules and we have to comply - no problem. The rules should be made by the minister of immigration not some petty officer at Nakon Nowhere.

• Like 1

When applying for a retirement extension I also could (if I wish and was asked for)

• A copy and also the original of my annual pension amount. That is provided each year by the U.S Social Security and intended to be shown to the U.S IRS with your annual Tax return.
  • A signed contract with my Thai residence and monthly invoices of my payment to that residence each month
  • And in addition to my passbook as evidence of my monthly pendion from the U.S, I could (again if I wished or had to) show signed monthly bank receipts from my bank when I received my pension each month and changed the incoming dollars to Thai Baht at the bank

I could do that if requested, as I keep such things in case they are required.

But usually they don't require them.

I know however that the immigration always has the right to "request any further documents they believe they require to further prove your claims".

I usually have such things in a folder I carry with me at retirement extensions renewal interviews, but so far I haven't been asked for any of them.

Having worked with different governments around the world for over 40 years I know the CYAP rule....... when in doubt to protect yourself and Cover Your A-- With Paper (CYAP).

Information varies from region to region in Thailand. There is no definitive list.

Mommysboy .....................yes - exactly .

So we all just have to learn what is required in your area prior to each visit and provide it. Ask the question here on TVF of what is required in your particular area( and if there is anything new this year) shortly prior to your application.

I find that if I provide what I know I am required to ( and have other documents handy -just in case)............I never have a problem.

But it seems that lostoday..............wants a definitive , unchangeable comprehensive list ( for each of 12 areas) posted ...............but he doesnt state who would maintain or update this list.

The general could wake up tomorrow and decide that 800K ( or the alternative) is no longer enough to have in an account................and declare a new amount be needed. We would have no alternative but to comply or leave.

When dealing with govt departments anywhere in the world ..............they constantly move the goalpost. We can either deal with it or complain ( which will not help anything or anyone).

HTH

Why not? Pinning just identifies the thread.

The thread does not have to be locked as far as I know see above.

If everyone would follow your posting advice it might get a bit crowded as there are 160,000 members if I read the numbers correctly.

I give up!

surrender.jpg

So we all just have to learn what is required in your area prior to each visit and provide it. Ask the question here on TVF of what is required in your particular area( and if there is anything new this year) shortly prior to your application.

I find that if I provide what I know I am required to ( and have other documents handy -just in case)............I never have a problem.

But it seems that lostoday..............wants a definitive , unchangeable comprehensive list ( for each of 12 areas) posted ...............but he doesnt state who would maintain or update this list.

The general could wake up tomorrow and decide that 800K ( or the alternative) is no longer enough to have in an account................and declare a new amount be needed. We would have no alternative but to comply or leave.

When dealing with govt departments anywhere in the world ..............they constantly move the goalpost. We can either deal with it or complain ( which will not help anything or anyone).

You are misquoting me. I asked for the information that is supplied currently to the 12 different areas that Thai Visa reports on be put into one thread in each area.

Basically the same thing you are saying only I would put them into one continuous thread.

You wrote, "Ask the question here on TVF of what is required in your particular area( and if there is anything new this year) shortly prior to your application."

I am saying the same thing with the addendum that they be posted in one thread instead of scattered over a thousand other threads to make finding and reading them easier.

So I guess we agree. My only addition would be to put the information in one thread per area.

You are misquoting me. I asked for the information that is supplied currently to the 12 different areas that Thai Visa reports on be put into one thread in each area.

Basically the same thing you are saying only I would put them into one continuous thread.

You wrote, "Ask the question here on TVF of what is required in your particular area( and if there is anything new this year) shortly prior to your application."

I am saying the same thing with the addendum that they be posted in one thread instead of scattered over a thousand other threads to make finding and reading them easier.

So I guess we agree. My only addition would be to put the information in one thread per area.

So why don't you send the mod team a proposal for this, including who'll compile verify and maintain the threads.

So why don't you send the mod team a proposal for this, including who'll compile verify and maintain the threads.

Because the threads are already there now and being maintained now. The only difference is in the naming of one thread in each of the 12 different areas to say pinned retirement/marriage extension information or extension trip reports.

Because the threads are already there now and being maintained now. The only difference is in the naming of one thread in each of the 12 different areas to say pinned retirement/marriage extension information or extension trip reports.
So propose that to them, and stop moaning on here.

But what you're saying is not correct, there is s lot more work than you're writing.

• Like 1

I suggested to one of the main mods for Immigration the idea of having two main pinned threads for extension trips reports/document requirements -- one for retirement extensions and the other for marriage extensions. With the added notion that posters would be asked/required to clearly state what Immigration Office they were reporting on.

And, suffice to say, there was no interest or willingness expressed to go down that road, and the response was, pretty much, everything is fine as it is now... Of course, I don't agree with that perception. I think it's unnecessarily hard to find the latest reports on any Office's extension requirements, since posts on those subjects are spread out all over God's creation in the forum here and often with thread titles that don't give you any idea of what ends up getting posted therein.

So propose that to them, and stop moaning on here.

But what you're saying is not correct, there is s lot more work than you're writing.

A mod goes through the General forum every day and dispatches the threads to the appropriate forums. Maybe I am missing something. I am not suggesting increasing anyone's work load - only re arranging it for more efficient viewing.

I don't see my suggestions as moaning rather free advice from a rather famous efficiency expert who has advised nations, potentates, grand poobahs and the entire road cast of The Pirates of Penzance for almost a fortnight!

Steven, my boy there is always that last desperate but acceptable refuge available to you - don't read it.

However may I remind you if the words of advice where penned in a particular geographic location you would not have to wade through the chaff to get at the wheat.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I honestly don't think you could get a definitive list even to one office, perhaps only to one officer.