Retirement Visa New Rules?

So he will go back next week and check further. I think there are stricter rules for showing residency being enforced. Immigration is just doing there job as they see it but it would be better to see clearer direction in documents etc. outlining exactly what is required:)

So, what is the point of the 90 day report and the requirement to notify immigration when moving somewhere?

The real question is WHY the new requirements have been introduced.

I don't think there are any new requirements. I think a couple of posters are reporting things happening at one place by one immigration person on a bad day and applying it to everyplace. For example; a poster said a TM-30 is now a requirement for retirement extensions. I asked for clarification and it turns out that one person was asked to have his wife fill out a TM-30 while he was doing an extension. It is like pulling teeth to get the facts with all this "I have a friend" who had this problem or that problem.

It would be so easy just to make a list of what is required at each location so we could in fact see if anything was really changing or it is just a couple of paranoid posters trying to hype another destination like Cambodia or Laos or Vietnam.

Edited by lostoday

One of these days YOU won't have the required documentation and won't be able to get it before your extension expires. What ya gonna do then?

Just keep telling yourself that it's OK for them to make up requirements just to stuff the stupid farangs around.

The requirements for address are satisfied when you move somewhere and give the correct form to immigration. Also satisfied by the 90 day rule- why the need to do it every year?

If it wasn't required two years ago, what has changed that it is needed now?

This is not the work of people that wish us to stay in LOS.

You can apply 30 to 45 days in advance. Always a good idea. Also no bribes because the official knows you have time to get anything he may require.

While you may be happy to q up at 4 am every morning till you get lucky enough to be seen, I am not.

you have time to get anything he may require

What about the people that have to get passport copies from landlords that live in Europe and can't contact them?

If I hadn't managed to get my appointment on line 3 weeks early and only got it a couple of days before, would I have time?

The requirements should be written down and published on the Immigration website, and if not there shouldn't be a requirement to produce anything that isn't published. The present system of inventing requirements is Micky Duck BS.

I'm not a mug. I left CM before it became overrun with tourists so I don't have to que up. But I hear what you are saying and agree. There should be one list of things that are required and Thais and Farangs should not be starting rumors about what is necessary.

This constant bickering about what is a retirement visa and what is a retirement extension could be stopped in a heartbeat with a page of definitions and your list of requirements would be just as easy. Post a list of the immigration offices and under each office a list of what is required for that office.

Now you got people spamming for agencies with odd questions and requirements and wannabe experts who have been here a couple of days trying to impress someone.

This is not rocket science. Pattaya requires this....... CM requires this...... Phuket requires this....... and send a copy to the government once a year so they can see how screwy the local Napoleons are.

It is not like it would be hard to do. The only downside is; it would be organized and helpful to everyone.

I don't live in CM- I hate the place. Unfortunately I have to go that hell hole for all things to do with immigration.

For minor paperwork issues, they sometimes give a short (7 day) extension. If not, what's the problem...just hop over the border to the nearest Thai embassy and get another "O" visa and wash, rinse, and repeat your one-year extension.

Maybe you should reconsider living overseas if you can't afford a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds to take care of a visa (or health or something else) issue that may arise. Some of you guys must be really living on the edge.

Oh wow, I'm so happy that you have the funds to do that. Not all us do.

This is not the work of people that wish us to stay in LOS.

Why do you think that YOU can tell me how to live here? You know nothing about my situation or my reasons for living here.

You think it's cheaper living back home where I can't afford to rent somewhere and eat on the pension? You think health care is free back home? You think I can afford a dentist back home? You know nothing about my homeland or my life.

I didn't tell you how to live anywhere...I only suggested that maybe you might want to reconsider living overseas if you don't have a small amount of emergency funds to take care of situations that often come up unexpectedly for people living overseas. At least at home, if one was destitute, there would be some type of government or private assistance available, whereas in Thailand, you're likely to be kicked to the curb like an unwelcome soi dog. You are free, of course, to completely ignore the suggestion, which I'm sure you already have.

• Like 1

So he will go back next week and check further. I think there are stricter rules for showing residency being enforced. Immigration is just doing there job as they see it but it would be better to see clearer direction in documents etc. outlining exactly what is required:)

So, what is the point of the 90 day report and the requirement to notify immigration when moving somewhere?

I don't think there are any new requirements. I think a couple of posters are reporting things happening at one place by one immigration person on a bad day and applying it to everyplace. For example; a poster said a TM-30 is now a requirement for retirement extensions. I asked for clarification and it turns out that one person was asked to have his wife fill out a TM-30 while he was doing an extension. It is like pulling teeth to get the facts with all this "I have a friend" who had this problem or that problem.

It would be so easy just to make a list of what is required at each location so we could in fact see if anything was really changing or it is just a couple of paranoid posters trying to hype another destination like Cambodia or Laos or Vietnam.

I was the poster that had the photo taken with my wife. It was a bit bizarre for a retirement visa.

It would seem generally more and more offices (UJ says the majority) are now requiring a proof of residence report.

It is very confusing because no one knows what that report should constitute, and there is a wide variance.

• Like 1

I completed my extension of stay base on retirement in Chaing Rai yesterday. Had photocopy of my yellow house book proving residence. There were no further questions asked

"She then says he will need rental agreement copy, letter from the condo, copy of owners passport and copy of ownership book. And he has address on his drivers license lol"

I'm sure if he had a Yellow book he would have said, but thanks for letting us know about yours.

• Like 1

I was the poster that had the photo taken with my wife. It was a bit bizarre for a retirement visa.

It would seem generally more and more offices (UJ says the majority) are now requiring a proof of residence report.

It is very confusing because no one knows what that report should constitute, and there is a wide variance.

Who or what is UJ? I think I've read only three on here want proof of residence. What is a fellow who travels and stays in a hotel to do? It seems obvious to me you are not going to get the house book and ID of the owner of the Hilton or Marriot. But I may be the only one whom this is obvious to. Check into a cheap hotel for the night and show immigration the receipt. Who is to say that is not accurate?

Ubon Joe is the moderator who probably can best judge which offices are asking for proof and what paperwork they want.

It may not even be a general rule if only a few are coming on the forum reporting problems, although my feeling is anyone who is not on the database as resident at a particular address will be required to submit further paperwork.

I did mine yesterday, and didn't have to provide anything to prove where I live. I verbally confirmed that I stiil live at the same place, as they took advantage of the fact that I was in their office to update my "90 Days" notification.

• Like 1

I did mine yesterday, and didn't have to provide anything to prove where I live. I verbally confirmed that I stiil live at the same place, as they took advantage of the fact that I was in their office to update my "90 Days" notification.

You just hope reasonableness has been restored. Certainly, no reports of difficulty being reported this week.

I do yearly extensions of stay for being retired, first in Hua Hin and after 3 years, in Sisaket, for the past 9 years. I have ALWAYS been asked to supply a proof of residence, I had to supply the rent contract and in one case in Hua Hin, the landlord had to accompany me and show them his ID and house book.

In Sisaket i am accompanied by my wife and she has to show them her blue house book, and I am asked to draw up a simple map of our house and the surrounding village.

Immigration will each time issue a certificate of residence with a photo attached, which is valid for only one year. This certificate can be used when buying a car or applying for a drivers license. It can be avoided if one gets a yellow house book instead.

As far as I can remember recent years, a proof of adress was needed for all Non Imm O extensions. When doing 90 day reporst, they never asked for proof of adress.

lostoday 's opinion on this matter is wrong and he has just never been asked for proof of residence, which I would call being just lucky. The rule is that one has so show proof of residence. I guess you can come up with the rule on any government website regarding yearly extension on marriage or retirement purpose. Some Immigrations might be content with an electricity bill of the condo or the apartment as a proof, others might not.

I do yearly extensions of stay for being retired, first in Hua Hin and after 3 years, in Sisaket, for the past 9 years. I have ALWAYS been asked to supply a proof of residence, I had to supply the rent contract and in one case in Hua Hin, the landlord had to accompany me and show them his ID and house book.

In Sisaket i am accompanied by my wife and she has to show them her blue house book, and I am asked to draw up a simple map of our house and the surrounding village.

Immigration will each time issue a certificate of residence with a photo attached, which is valid for only one year. This certificate can be used when buying a car or applying for a drivers license. It can be avoided if one gets a yellow house book instead.

As far as I can remember recent years, a proof of adress was needed for all Non Imm O extensions. When doing 90 day reporst, they never asked for proof of adress.

lostoday 's opinion on this matter is wrong and he has just never been asked for proof of residence, which I would call being just lucky. The rule is that one has so show proof of residence. I guess you can come up with the rule on any government website regarding yearly extension on marriage or retirement purpose. Some Immigrations might be content with an electricity bill of the condo or the apartment as a proof, others might not.

1. You wrote, "I do yearly extensions of stay for being retired, first in Hua Hin and after 3 years, in Sisaket, for the past 9 years."

2. In another thread that you started you wrote, "I am in Thailand on a Non Imm OA visa for 6 years and have done my extensions - for retirement purpose - here at Chong Sa Ngam"

It would be useful if posters could identify their designated immigration office when stating what they were asked to provide which would be helpful to those who have the same designated office...just my opinion of course

The prof of resident is just a contract letter and that should be enough. Sometime some officer become more difficult. I remember myself was asked few years ago if I own condo to extend my visa and I replied not I just rent a condo or stay in hotel. She said no good no good you should buy condo. And since I had to get some other documents I just left and I said I come back later. So I did not go there for couple of weeks and when I returned I had to go to the same lady but this time she never said that I need to buy condo. My advise get all your papers ready as it should be and return to Jomtien I am sure they will not ask you for the owner copy of passport etc.

2. In another thread that you started you wrote, "I am in Thailand on a Non Imm OA visa for 6 years and have done my extensions - for retirement purpose - here at Chong Sa Ngam"

Did you try to do a search for where that is. It is in Sisaket province. Try this spelling of it also Chong Sangam.

Hi. My experience at Jomtien/Pattaya for "Retirement Extension" this Wednesday May 27th:

Required documents for my case (Retirement Ext. with proof of revenues)

- TM.7 filled, signed, with photo

- Embassy Attestation (that revenue > 65'000 baht/month)

- Passport copies:

- - data page (name, photo, ...)

- - last Extension stamp

- - initial Non-O Visa (or page with transfer on new passport)

- - entry stamp + TM.6 (Departure Card)

- Proof of address : Electric bill is ok

- Bank Passbook (copy of first and last page)

- 1'900 baht fee

Nota:

- The utility bill was already asked to me last year

- It's the first ever time I have to show a Bank Passbook !

PS: Arrived at about 8:05am, the place nearly empty. I was out at 8:14am smile.png

Why do you think that YOU can tell me how to live here? You know nothing about my situation or my reasons for living here.

You think it's cheaper living back home where I can't afford to rent somewhere and eat on the pension? You think health care is free back home? You think I can afford a dentist back home? You know nothing about my homeland or my life.

I didn't tell you how to live anywhere...I only suggested that maybe you might want to reconsider living overseas if you don't have a small amount of emergency funds to take care of situations that often come up unexpectedly for people living overseas. At least at home, if one was destitute, there would be some type of government or private assistance available, whereas in Thailand, you're likely to be kicked to the curb like an unwelcome soi dog. You are free, of course, to completely ignore the suggestion, which I'm sure you already have.

I'd rather live in Thailand till I can't afford to and off to bed with the pills and a bottle of booze than to eke out a miserable existence back home totally dependant on whether the bureaucrat had a naughty the night before as to whether I can afford to go to the dentist or not.

quotes deleted to allow posting.

Can you provide a link to ANY government published requirement to provide proof of residence for a retirement extension? If you can't they are just making it up and it is not a legal requirement.

I did not have to provide proof of residence in Thailand to get the non O visa in the first place- what's the difference?

today HUA HIN:

OA visa extension:

- A copy of passport with photo and signature

- A passport copy with all the the stamps as well that those of foreign countries your visa or extension application and / or output

- A copy white card (TM6)

- A letter justifying your revenue (like other years, I have procured a letter from my bank established yesterday, proving more 800,000 baht in my account for 3 months)

- A copy of my passbook since February

- A copy of my lease (internet or electricity bill, it was good too)

- A photo

- Form TM7 completed at home, quietly

- 1900 baht.

Once again, it bears repeating:

The documents required by Immigration for processing retirement extensions of stay do vary some from office to office.

Just because one person gets asked for something at one Immigration Office, doesn't necessarily mean the same request/requirement will be enforced everywhere else.

The main Bangkok Immigration office at Chaeng Wattana, for example, doesn't typically require any kind of proof of residence when handling retirement extensions, nor do they usually ask for a house location map, nor do they automatically issue certificates of residence as part of the retirement extension process.

The basics usually will stay the same: passport pages copies, TM7 application form, income or bank deposit documentation, copy of airport departure card, 1900 baht fee.

But beyond those basics, other things may or may not be demanded.

• Like 1

The documents required by Immigration for processing retirement extensions of stay do vary some from office to office.

Just because one person gets asked for something at one Immigration Office, doesn't necessarily mean the same request/requirement will be enforced everywhere else.

The main Bangkok Immigration office at Chaeng Wattana, for example, doesn't typically require any kind of proof of residence when handling retirement extensions, nor do they usually ask for a house location map, nor do they automatically issue certificates of residence as part of the retirement extension process.

The basics usually will stay the same: passport pages copies, TM7 application form, income or bank deposit documentation, copy of airport departure card, 1900 baht fee.

The topic of the thread is, "new rules." What are the new rules?

As far as I can see the same old stuff.

So you agree with me that they make up whatever they feel like inflicting on us, despite it not being a government requirement. So, if they start demanding that we have to be married, or own a house to get a retirement extension are you OK with that?

As I said before, not the actions of people that want us here.

• Like 1

I did my Retirement extension 3 weeks ago and supplied them with an electric bill from my address and that was accepted.

But, will it be sufficient NEXT time, and will you know before you go?

I wasn't asked last time, but next time I'll have to take map, house owner's blue book and ID copy and rental agreement just to be on the safe side in case they make it up again. Will I have to take the house owner as well????????

This is no way to run a government department.

• Like 1

I did my Retirement extension 3 weeks ago and supplied them with an electric bill from my address and that was accepted.

But, will it be sufficient NEXT time, and will you know before you go?

I wasn't asked last time, but next time I'll have to take map, house owner's blue book and ID copy and rental agreement just to be on the safe side in case they make it up again. Will I have to take the house owner as well????????

This is no way to run a government department.

If Thai Visa pinned a thread about what is required at each immigration area it would be easy to tell what you needed.