Plans to ruin Jomtien Beach?

Emster23

The tree butchering has resumed on Dongtan Beach near the public toilet and they are working their way south towards the police box. Actually I wish they would have trimmed the trees like they are now doing instead of removing the old growth trees as part of this new Jomtien Beach project. I feel sorry for the beach concessionaires and their customers (assuming they have any left) who will no longer have the protection provided by the trees. Umbrellas without trees traps the heat and makes life very uncomfortable.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading these letters complaining about the Jomtien Beach improvements. The first thing that surfaces is very few complainers actually consider what is best for the community as a whole and only think of there own needs or wishes.

In any country when you create a New project the first things that any city will consider is how it will effect and improve exspense and budgets.

I like most of you love trees regardless where they are but from the city's perspective they have to pay to have them pruned every two years and continually they add to additionally cleaning from dropped leaves. Yes the shade is nice but if we were al honest we would admit that these shady places usual end up being the places where undesirables sit, so to eliminate the trees and replace them with Palm trees saves the city money and keeps the undesirables at a minimum.

As for seating, this is something also that should not exist or should only be there at a very minimum, if you walk down Pattaya beach you will see most every bench filled with undesirables , making the the beach area less presentable and appealing to tourists. If you want to go to the beach and sit, pay the $40 Baht and get a nice comfortable beach chair with a umbrella and a table .

Also if the siting area were increased then the amount of garbage generated would increase and that would mean an additional expenses to keep the cans emptied and the area clean. If you walk down Beach Road in Pattaya you will se that the city has not done a good job at this and rubbish over flows the bins daily making the area undesirable........So further more this would give me all the more reason not to want additional seating.

If the city were to have left the big trees and added more free siting areas the only thing that would happen is your would get more undesirables, which in affect would mean more crime and expenses to Police it.

The common solution you all prefer would be more trees and more benches CORRECT? If they did that would you be willing to pay a fee, such as a tax increase on hotel rooms or increased VAT or a new local tax? This would be necessary to do what you want and keep the area safe, clean and policed.

I'ms ure a few of you will whine about my posting buy the facts are the facts.

You are confusing your perception of facts with your personal opinion (to which you are certainly entitled).

Most of this construction is destined to fall apart in a very short time. Pattaya City powers, insists on using a sand and cement mix on all of their projects ( Easy to work with I suppose) instead of concrete, i.e sand, aggregate and cement.

I keep reading these letters complaining about the Jomtien Beach improvements. The first thing that surfaces is very few complainers actually consider what is best for the community as a whole and only think of there own needs or wishes.

In any country when you create a New project the first things that any city will consider is how it will effect and improve exspense and budgets.

I like most of you love trees regardless where they are but from the city's perspective they have to pay to have them pruned every two years and continually they add to additionally cleaning from dropped leaves. Yes the shade is nice but if we were al honest we would admit that these shady places usual end up being the places where undesirables sit, so to eliminate the trees and replace them with Palm trees saves the city money and keeps the undesirables at a minimum.

As for seating, this is something also that should not exist or should only be there at a very minimum, if you walk down Pattaya beach you will see most every bench filled with undesirables , making the the beach area less presentable and appealing to tourists. If you want to go to the beach and sit, pay the $40 Baht and get a nice comfortable beach chair with a umbrella and a table .

Also if the siting area were increased then the amount of garbage generated would increase and that would mean an additional expenses to keep the cans emptied and the area clean. If you walk down Beach Road in Pattaya you will se that the city has not done a good job at this and rubbish over flows the bins daily making the area undesirable........So further more this would give me all the more reason not to want additional seating.

If the city were to have left the big trees and added more free siting areas the only thing that would happen is your would get more undesirables, which in affect would mean more crime and expenses to Police it.

The common solution you all prefer would be more trees and more benches CORRECT? If they did that would you be willing to pay a fee, such as a tax increase on hotel rooms or increased VAT or a new local tax? This would be necessary to do what you want and keep the area safe, clean and policed.

I was just in Bangkok and noticed how city officials are implementing a plan to plant trees all over and preserve, if at all possible, old-growth trees. They know how valuable trees are, especially the large, old-growth trees. They also know that cutting down all of the trees does not prevent the presence of "undesirables, anywhere on the planet. A good example is the Middle East, where the ISIS undesirables are causing havoc in a barren, desert-dominated land that is virtually devoid of trees. About pruning trees and associated cost as a reason to cut down the old-growth shade trees: palm trees produce fruits/coconuts that are potentially dangerous to people walking down the path. The old-growth shade trees that they cut down produced very small fruits that were not dangerous. The palm trees must be trimmed each year! The "common solution" is to stop cutting down the old-growth trees, start patrolling the beaches, and construct benches in the shade. Better yet, blow the entire FUBAR, nature destroying, car loving plan up and start over using a positive and sustainable (green growth) model that is people friendly and attractive. I have never seen such an ugly beachfront promenade unfolding in front of my eyes. It is a horrible design. What are they doing around soi 7? Is that some sort of roller skating area? They seem to love concrete!

I was just in Bangkok and noticed how city officials are implementing a plan to plant trees all over and preserve, if at all possible, old-growth trees. They know how valuable trees are, especially the large, old-growth trees. They also know that cutting down all of the trees does not prevent the presence of "undesirables, anywhere on the planet. A good example is the Middle East, where the ISIS undesirables are causing havoc in a barren, desert-dominated land that is virtually devoid of trees. About pruning trees and associated cost as a reason to cut down the old-growth shade trees: palm trees produce fruits/coconuts that are potentially dangerous to people walking down the path. The old-growth shade trees that they cut down produced very small fruits that were not dangerous. The palm trees must be trimmed each year! The "common solution" is to stop cutting down the old-growth trees, start patrolling the beaches, and construct benches in the shade. Better yet, blow the entire FUBAR, nature destroying, car loving plan up and start over using a positive and sustainable (green growth) model that is people friendly and attractive. I have never seen such an ugly beachfront promenade unfolding in front of my eyes. It is a horrible design. What are they doing around soi 7? Is that some sort of roller skating area? They seem to love concrete!

It seems for many decades in the Pattaya area there have been mostly good plans for persevering

the beach fronts trees....The new napalm dropping scorched earth loving planners only got started

in 2013 ....I bet it really pains the nature hating planners that there are no more parks in Pattaya

where they can continue their wholesale slaughter of trees.

Edited by fforest1

Factually wrong. The city does NOT trim the shade trees every 2 years. It is the coconut trees that are an expense requiring city staff to remove coconuts for safety reasons. The city stopped having staff pick up leaves at Jomtein Beach a few years ago. The city has 95% of it's police force working on revenue making detail, not walking the beaches keeping "undesirables" under watch. There are only a couple of spots along Pattaya Beach Rd to sit now (in front of Klang & Mike's Mall) and nearly all who do are elderly expats and a few of their female Thai partners.

Edited by pegman

Hey, Jessvanpelt. Your posting might have made some tiny little sense except for a few things. I don't see any evidence that the city is spending any money to trim any trees and the city certainly doesn't sweep up any leaves--I haven't notice it sweep anything. The city spends the bare minimum for trash collection and has the bare minimum of horrible, ugly trash cans and that wouldn't change. Ditto for police protection--the police aren't out on the streets, beaches, and busy traffic intersections now and more or less trees and benches isn't going to change that. One last thing--if you design an area so that your so-called 'undesirables' don't want to hang out there, it's likely few others will want to either.

Exactly my point, They don't spend and are making sure by these changes that they won't have to spend anymore then they are doing so now. I did not say the Police were out, I said that if more undesirables come then they may have to increase the amount of Police expenditure which they don't want to do.....ems like you missed the whole ;point, next time I post something I will do it in more simple terms.

Factually wrong. The city does NOT trim the shade trees every 2 years. It is the coconut trees that are an expense requiring city staff to remove coconuts for safety reasons. The city stopped having staff pick up leaves at Jomtein Beach a few years ago. The city has 95% of it's police force working on revenue making detail, not walking the beaches keeping "undesirables" under watch. There are only a couple of spots along Pattaya Beach Rd to sit now (in front of Klang & Mike's Mall) and nearly all who do are elderly expats and a few of their female Thai partners.

I suggest you walk the full length of Beach road to see that there are benches scattered periodically all the way to the top of beach road all the way to the Dusit, The sitting area you refer to in from of mikes in not a sitting area at all i, the xpats and lady of the day/ night sit on the steps. And yes the older growth trees are trimmed every 2 years. But the point I made was that if a lot of siting area was made more undesirables would appear and then those related exspenes would increase ..this the city does not want to do that...next time i write a post I will make it in a easier to under stand.

I suggest you walk the full length of Beach road to see that there are benches scattered periodically all the way to the top of beach road all the way to the Dusit, The sitting area you refer to in from of mikes in not a sitting area at all i, the xpats and lady of the day/ night sit on the steps. And yes the older growth trees are trimmed every 2 years. But the point I made was that if a lot of siting area was made more undesirables would appear and then those related exspenes would increase ..this the city does not want to do that...next time i write a post I will make it in a easier to under stand.

Maybe try a different Translation App since the one you are using only makes for incoherent mumbo-jumbo.

Edited by pegman

How many years of tree trimming could they have had if not blowing money on this project? Shade is not just "nice" it is nearly essential if walking further than parked car to beach. They could consider learning how to trim trees too.... I had some photos of trees they trimmed near Soi 7 few years back. Looks like wooden telephone pole with a few branches nailed on.

"The common solution you all prefer would be more trees and more benches CORRECT? If they did that would you be willing to pay a fee, such as a tax increase on hotel rooms or increased VAT or a new local tax? This would be necessary to do what you want and keep the area safe, clean and policed."

How many millions of baht do businesses pull in each year from people coming to nice beach? How much does city get from taxes? Are they loathe to provide even the most minimum upkeep to keep the cash cow happy? Seems to be. OMG picking up garbage is an expense (never mind that that indicates money spending people are there and had to buy something to make the trash)! Get rid of trees and shade, get rid of tourists, get rid of garbage. Such logic! Oh, and LESS taxes collected because less spending. Look at all the businesses shutting down along beach road.

I have been going down to circle near soi 7 for maybe 10 years to play music. Just try to get in and out of those sling chairs with a guitar. There used to be a great number of benches all up and down beach road. I asked cop while they were being hauled away (to be sold to whom?) why doing it. He said "Crime suppression". I said I'd perhaps seen crimes being arranged there (if prostitution considered crime) but never in years seen any crime take place there...

"As for seating, this is something also that should not exist or should only be there at a very minimum" due to "undesirables". They spend money, which helps local businesses. Maybe you don't like how they are dressed or their tattoos? (Loosen you sphincter a bit) Like I said, been going down there for 10+ years and have met many many interesting and good people from all over the world. Of course some hard core alkys (doesn't make them undesirable, many are fine people. Try meeting one or two), a couple psychopaths (having police actually get out of office and walk a beat? That doesn't require more police, just have ones already hired do their jobs. What a concept!).

Facts are facts, and the fact is 1. vast majority do not see this as improvement 2. Numbers going to beach area will diminish hurting local businesses at all levels 3. It takes money to make money, if it is spent enhancing the money making scheme (beach in this case). They are killing the goose with golden eggs here

I got your point, Jess, and your post was simple enough. I think what you are missing is the city doesn't spend a minute thinking about ways to save money--it is focused on spending money and taking its cut. My point, again, is that the city is not going to increase what it spends on its trash pickup, its police patrolling or lack of patrolling, its tree trimming and so on whether there are more or less people on the beach, walkways and benches. The city will do the bare minimum with maintenance and sometimes even less than that. To use an example, I live off of Jomtien Second Road. The storm drains have never been cleaned and they have tall weeds and now also what looks like shrubs growing out of them. No maintenance being done there at all and let's not even speak of the road itself. We have sidewalks but the grass and weeds are so thick and tall that in some places the sidewalks have completely disappeared under all the growth. Someone posted that the city loves concrete. I WISH it loved concrete!--then maybe the sidewalks would be made of durable low maintenance concrete rather than these very high maintenance pavers that always become loose or missing and allow grass and weeds to quickly overwhelm them. We have a city that in most cases does very little or no maintenance on any regular basis but always picks very high maintenance and difficult to construct items that soon fall into disrepair.

I got your point, Jess, and your post was simple enough. I think what you are missing is the city doesn't spend a minute thinking about ways to save money--it is focused on spending money and taking its cut. My point, again, is that the city is not going to increase what it spends on its trash pickup, its police patrolling or lack of patrolling, its tree trimming and so on whether there are more or less people on the beach, walkways and benches. The city will do the bare minimum with maintenance and sometimes even less than that. To use an example, I live off of Jomtien Second Road. The storm drains have never been cleaned and they have tall weeds and now also what looks like shrubs growing out of them. No maintenance being done there at all and let's not even speak of the road itself. We have sidewalks but the grass and weeds are so thick and tall that in some places the sidewalks have completely disappeared under all the growth. Someone posted that the city loves concrete. I WISH it loved concrete!--then maybe the sidewalks would be made of durable low maintenance concrete rather than these very high maintenance pavers that always become loose or missing and allow grass and weeds to quickly overwhelm them. We have a city that in most cases does very little or no maintenance on any regular basis but always picks very high maintenance and difficult to construct items that soon fall into disrepair.

I agree whole heartedly, That this the main problem.

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/207939/large-and-dangerous-hole-appears-on-pattaya-beach-promenade/ Large and Dangerous Hole appears on Pattaya Beach Promenade

on: 06 August, 20154 Comments

Late on Wednesday Night a large hole appeared on Pattaya Beach

hole-1.jpg?zoom=2&resize=150%2C150

No Trees= lots of erosion....

Does it get any more simple?

Edited by Rimmer
Fair use

IS it bad to remove thieves/prostitutes/ladyboys I think not, have seen many a seedy beachfront undergo improvement and modernisation all for the good where it a pleasure to see families appear as if from nowhere.

I think you ment family's will be dis-appearing from

the new treeless Jomtien Beach.

It seems to me Thai and Russian family's have been

using and enjoying the beautiful shade trees on Jomtien beach for many decades now...

i have to say i think jomtien will look much better AFTER they renovation they obviously

will plant trees.

I use to like to walk along Beach Road in Pattaya. Can't do it during the day any more as there is NO shade. They ruined it. Sounds like they are doing the same thing in Jomtien. I use to walk from near Soi Wat Boon to Dongtan and have a bite to eat there. If no trees, I won't be doing this any more.

I use to like to walk along Beach Road in Pattaya. Can't do it during the day any more as there is NO shade. They ruined it. Sounds like they are doing the same thing in Jomtien. I use to walk from near Soi Wat Boon to Dongtan and have a bite to eat there. If no trees, I won't be doing this any more.

I agree, but the trouble is that Pattaya/Jomtien aren't exactly blessed with a lot of shady alternatives if you want to have a walk. Maybe nothing for it but to buy a parasol...

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/207939/large-and-dangerous-hole-appears-on-pattaya-beach-promenade/ Large and Dangerous Hole appears on Pattaya Beach Promenade

on: 06 August, 20154 Comments

Late on Wednesday Night a large hole appeared on Pattaya Beach

hole-1.jpg?zoom=2&resize=150%2C150

No Trees= lots of erosion....

Does it get any more simple?

And like the article says appears to be poorly constructed. Like as can be seen here just putting the walkway on thin cement layer(w/o iron rods ) on sand.

That looks like across from police station. To those here who do not understand all the letters complaining about the Jomtien project :

Have you taken a walk on the disaster tour starting at the north end of Pattaya beach ?

Do you realize that this slapped together work in Jomtien is a copy ?

Edited by morrobay

i have to say i think jomtien will look much better AFTER they renovation they obviously

will plant trees.

Yes, they will plant trees, but they will be palm trees, perhaps one of the least shady trees one could plant, not like the big ones that came down. The shadiest portion in this project is in regard to who approved it, and how much did they get? Also, may "look much better" to those driving past on the way to some other place, but as far as functionality and comfort to those misguided souls who might happen to want to use the beach, no way. In this case the new form does not follow function.

I agree, but the trouble is that Pattaya/Jomtien aren't exactly blessed with a lot of shady alternatives if you want to have a walk. Maybe nothing for it but to buy a parasol...

but it's not a difficult concept to understand.

other beachside cities around the world have understood that people need shade to be able to properly enjoy a beach walkway and if they insist on ripping up and destroying the natural shade was already there before then they should come up with an artificial solution. There are plenty of designs for them to choose

post-149848-0-56884000-1438939138_thumb.

but it's not a difficult concept to understand.

other beachside cities around the world have understood that people need shade to be able to properly enjoy a beach walkway and if they insist on ripping up and destroying the natural shade was already there before then they should come up with an artificial solution. There are plenty of designs for them to choose

They've already fixed it on Pattaya Beach. It's called Central Shopping Mall. :) Not much sign of such a solution ever appearing in Jomtien though.

There may be a glimmer of hope for the remaining trees.

https://www.facebook.com/STVPattaya/posts/987643477923253

And

https://www.facebook.com/STVPattaya/posts/985371141483820

Seems the trees may have been cut down without proper public consultation ( surprise surprise !! )

Pointed out before the shade trees were sacrificed because their wood has financial value. The small branches are put in wood chipper and the rest carted off and sold.

There may be a glimmer of hope for the remaining trees.

https://www.facebook.com/STVPattaya/posts/987643477923253

And

https://www.facebook.com/STVPattaya/posts/985371141483820

Seems the trees may have been cut down without proper public consultation ( surprise surprise !! )

Pointed out before the shade trees were sacrificed because their wood has financial value. The small branches are put in wood chipper and the rest carted off and sold.

Certainly, they could have built around them as they are doing now if palm trees are in the line of fire. The tree massacre on Jomtien Beach has temporarily shifted to Dongon Beach (that area north of the police station). They are cutting the heads off of old-growth trees:

post-110622-0-14162500-1439086466_thumb.

post-110622-0-84400300-1439086476_thumb.

And surprise, they are creating seats for people:

post-110622-0-57558600-1439086498_thumb.

This is what it used to look like. I hope they do not slaughter all of the old-growth trees north (and south) of the police station, but you never know. Insanity sorts of grows like a cancer.

post-110622-0-62325900-1439086510_thumb.