63Amp vs 100Amp Service

Some input please...Many thanks.

I have single phase service via PEA, and a newly constructed house with 5 Air Conditioners (13000 BTU), electric stove, 2 hot water heaters, various pumps including 1 1/2 Horse power well pump.

My meter is 30 (100) amp.

I am pretty sure I have all appropriate copper wiring inside and service from meter.

My electrician knew I had all this electrical appliances (he grounded each A/C separate), and yet when the dust settled, I ended up with my main circuit breaker being 63A.

Originally when the Provincial electric Authority came out for inspection prior to final meter connection, they said I had a problem in that I should have had 100Amp Circuit breaker and there was a discussion about them ordering for me since I could not source locally. But after a week or so, they came without warning and just installed the 30 (100) meter.

As with most posters here, I have insufficient power problems in that I cannot run all my A/C and stove at same time, you hear a groaning sound for the A/C or simply not much heat on stove burner. Well pump must be operated alone with nothing else on except maybe a light bulb. No circuit breakers ever cut off.

Question: Would installing a Schneider 100Amp circuit breaker in place of the main 63 Amp circuit breaker improve my power availability? [in USA 100 Amp service is far superior to 60 Amp service]. Not sure if increasing to 100 Amp circuit breaker would then mean I have 100 amp service.

Any input appreciated...many thanks.

Walter

Unless the 63A is opening due to overload, changing to a 100A breaker won't improve your supply.

It's the supply infrastructure that's causing your issues.

A few questions so we may assist:-

How far from your meter to the house?

What size cable runs from the meter to the house?

Can you measure the supply voltage at your incoming breaker at various times of day both with and without your big loads (the stove / water heaters) running?

How far is your meter from the village transformer?

If you don't have, buy a simple digital voltmeter at Amorn (not a big expense) and you will soon see the problem.

Switch off all consumers, measure the voltage at the breaker (between 220 and 240 hopefully) and then switch on one after the other.

My guess would be what crossy listed:

How far from your meter to the house?

What size cable runs from the meter to the house?

If the voltage is too low even without consumers switched on then you have a BIG problem/headache (complain at PEA? pay for your own transformer? new line from the transformer?).

Many thanks to all.

You Gentlemen helped me last year with similar issues which led me to an investigation of installing a transformer, but too expensive as PEA wants me to run high voltage poles to my house which is pretty far, and I already paid them for regular "low voltage poles", don't want to build Thai infrastructure anymore.

You answered my question, if no tripping circuit breakers with 63A service, no point to chase down a 100 Amp Circuit breaker. This forum is the only place to go to for trustworthy info, thanks again.

I will now study up on a generator to hook all my high wattage appliances to... If offhand anyone knows of a sales office (thai OK) for a 10-15 kva generator running diesel fuel and low rpm please let me know...well, off to search this forum!! Had I invested in a whole house prime generator (about 400,000 baht) in the beginning instead of building Thai infrastructure (500,000 baht) I would sure have been better off!!

Actually I would avoid the genset, power from a generator is 5-8 times the cost of mains, you have mains. But if you insist contact forum sponsor Genset.

We need you to answer the earlier questions.

PEA provided you with a 30/100 supply, (theoretically) they are responsible for that supply being reliable and in spec.

Consider thinking like a local, cook with gas.

You could also consider going 3-phase, it won't cost vast amounts just two wires, 3-phase meter and some re-wiring of the house distribution board.

Many thanks to all.

You Gentlemen helped me last year with similar issues which led me to an investigation of installing a transformer, but too expensive as PEA wants me to run high voltage poles to my house which is pretty far, and I already paid them for regular "low voltage poles", don't want to build Thai infrastructure anymore.

You answered my question, if no tripping circuit breakers with 63A service, no point to chase down a 100 Amp Circuit breaker. This forum is the only place to go to for trustworthy info, thanks again.

I will now study up on a generator to hook all my high wattage appliances to... If offhand anyone knows of a sales office (thai OK) for a 10-15 kva generator running diesel fuel and low rpm please let me know...well, off to search this forum!! Had I invested in a whole house prime generator (about 400,000 baht) in the beginning instead of building Thai infrastructure (500,000 baht) I would sure have been better off!!

You should probably consider a voltage stabilizer first - it could just be the 30K Baht permanent solution for you - as it's been for many others..

Have you got a multi meter / volt meter so you can actually test/monitor your incoming mains voltages under load?

How low does the voltage get?

Also, Crossy's questions re: wire size and length from the meter to your house might still be a factor too - as might composition (alu or copper).

Indeed IMHO ^^^.

There are many here who can assist, but we need concrete information and numbers to get an idea what's going on (it's certainly volt drop, but what's causing it) and to suggest a solution that won't break the bank.

Incoming cable sizes

Run lengths

Supply voltage on and off load at various times (3AM is a good one for example as is 7PM)

Indeed IMHO ^^^.

There are many here who can assist, but we need concrete information and numbers to get an idea what's going on (it's certainly volt drop, but what's causing it) and to suggest a solution that won't break the bank.

Incoming cable sizes

Run lengths

Supply voltage on and off load at various times (3AM is a good one for example as is 7PM)

I ended up having to install and automatic voltage regulator at my bore hole to operate the 2 hp submersible pump. Like an idiot, I let down my guard and accepted the well installer's advice that a 2.5smm wire was sufficient to operate the pump. Normally I do all my own checking, determine voltage drops, wire size etc. I don't know what I was thinking this time. I put the 2.5 wire in conduit, etc., etc. Of course with the 20+ volt drop the pump control kept shutting down the pump. Duh.

By then it was just easier to use the voltage regulator than it was to dig up and rip out all the 100m of 2.5 wire and conduit and replace it with the 10mm wire I should have used in the first place.

This is an example of one fix (not the best) where a too small wire size is causing an unacceptable voltage drop. Having to rip out and replace the wire from your meter to your panel could be expensive, and a nightmare if you have buried it. Gotta love the Thai "electricians."

If you underwent the expense of a whole house AVR, you would also get the benefit of voltage stabilization and surge protection. Generator would be a huge ongoing expense forever. Not a good idea.

Archived