Child development in Thailand below average

webfact

Child development in Thailand below average

BANGKOK, 22 May 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has been working with six other state agencies on child development, due to a recent report that found Thailand below international standards.

Acting Permanent Secretary of Public Health Dr. Surachet Sathitniramai announced that the Ministries of Public Health, Education, Interior, Defense, and Social Development and Human Security will collaborate with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to ensure children below the age of six receive developmental support.

Around 34 percent of children aged 3-5 years old and 22 percent of those below the age of three have displayed slow development.

These agencies will encourage parents to pay attention to their children’s development, especially during the first nine, 18, 30 and 42 months. The government has aimed at increasing development growth to 85 percent in three years.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-22 footer_n.gif

>>Around 34 percent of children aged 3-5 years old and 22 percent of those below the age of three have displayed slow development.<< Quote

So they are getting "less developed" the older they are getting?

Politicians in waiting??.............................coffee1.gif

the reason is that parents are often urged to work somewhere else though grand parents bringing the children up.another factor is that most parents are not able to encourage their offspring to think independently due they never learned it by themselves and if the kids have questions parents are often not able to answer....last thing TV(and i mean not the forum)

Not an unexpected outcome from the forgiving Thai society.

How many children are borned into a family where the father ran away during early pregnancy leaving the mother to go out to earn a living to support the child?

And the forgiving Thai society would do nothing to address this social illness. Thus, this outcome of under-developed children.

Thai village people think it is funny to give their young children beer and other alcoholic drinks. This helps to kill the few brain cells that they have. Also, no mental exercise to help in the development of brain structure. Parents, grand parents, uncles, aunts, and neighbors in villages don't have an education so do not put any importance on school or learning. There are exceptions but this is what I have noticed from years living in Northern Thailand.

Government looking for 85% improvement within 3 years.

On what basis does the government arrive at this figure ?

Another figure plucked out of a hat, with absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

"Hat" is an interesting name for that part of the anatomy!

So what?

It fits the status of most other “developments” in this country. However, I’m sure they’ll quickly suck up the most important aspects of life in LOS: obey, shut up, become corrupt, and if it turns out wrong- call it Thainess so you won’t lose face.

They won’t even have to care about their future- no matter what government is ruling, they all tell you it’s a privilege to be Thai and the government is constantly taking care of you by providing “happiness”.

An article in Asia Sentinel online today highlights, among other things, the fact that Thailand's woeful education system ranks last in the eight ASEAN nations. Unfortunately, it is deeply symptomatic of the entrenched hierarchical system that the present government seeks to prolong.

Been here for decades......as a guy on the street, meaning nobody who knows me.....In 24 years, i have two thai male friends.....one went to medical school with...the other was a neighbor......No Adult Thai Friends....there babies.

>>Around 34 percent of children aged 3-5 years old and 22 percent of those below the age of three have displayed slow development.<< Quote

Yes my g/f (who is on the short side) has often stated that their diet was poor no milk. The parents still ended up birthing 7 children 2 of which died. She was really excited when I bought her her first birthday cake she had never had one in all of her 25 years.

Adult development in Thailand below average, too.

And that`s your opinion, is it, genius? And so we have another Thai bashing thread with contributions from morons who are under an illusion that they are somehow intellectually superior, that I can assure you, come across as being totally the opposite.

The main problem is that in Thailand, how good is the education one receives is only what one can afford. There are still the majority of Thais who do have have the funding to send their children onto further education once they have graduated from school. Many once reaching adulthood, have no degrees or qualifications, therefore their future career prospects and abilities are extremely limited.

In Thailand, those going on to further education after school can be regarded as the privileged minority, having the good fortune to have families who can financially support them throughout their whole education and archiving degrees and reaching a high standard of educational levels.

Today`s world is much more competitive than in my younger days, when young people could begin their careers as apprentices and work their way up the ladder. But that has all changed Today employers want 18 up to early 20s year olds, with 50 years experience to work for school leavers wages. This is now the same the world over, not exclusive to Thailand.

Child development depends on how much resources their parents have to ply in them and the reason why, that when families are poor it is very difficult to break the mode that could continue on for generations.

Let's keep the derisive remarks out of the discussion. Not a good look. There's much that can be said constructively about this subject.

there is nothing that can be said about this failure that is good , nothing ,

I see kids in my classroom who should be in hospitals for the undernourished. And don't get me started on the kids in every classroom who can't see the page in front of them but are never genuinely tested, only given a farcical go-over.

These agencies will encourage parents to pay attention to their children’s development, especially during the first nine, 18, 30 and 42 months. The government has aimed at increasing development growth to 85 percent in three years.

These agencies should first encourage the real parents to actually raise and care for their kids. The fact is that most parents dump their kids on the grandparents who are too old and too far from the times to stimulate a infant or child and this leaves the child neglected or smothered..

Most children who are the same age as my daughter still have a glazed look in their eyes and are not curious and are being held. There is not a day that doesn't go by that my wife is told how much older my daughter acts and how surprised people are at how much she can do already.

Yes my g/f (who is on the short side) has often stated that their diet was poor no milk. The parents still ended up birthing 7 children 2 of which died. She was really excited when I bought her her first birthday cake she had never had one in all of her 25 years.

Poor and with 7 kids? Great thinking by the little head...