Small Thai anti-junta groups vow protests on coup anniversary

webfact

The last thing Thailand needs are people demonstrating on the streets - we are all fully aware of how that has ended many times before and lets be honest - is there really anything to protest about, Thailand seems to be doing fine right now and criminals are being hunted down and arrested especially those in public office who have been shown to have a rather twisted way of serving the people

and lets be honest - is there really anything to protest about,

yeah, that's right, ... unless these students, as Thai citizens, believe in self-governmence, self-determination, and the right to have a representative, participatory government. coffee1.gif

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I applaud them, small groups are never going to work. You need to turn up in the thousands to garner any real attention.

It is too easy to pick off the small groups.

i think some people are not aware of the historical significance of student demonstrations in Thailand especially concerning their relationship with the military and staunch monarchist organisations that were similar in ideals to organisations as the Eastern Tigers.

two events in particular stand out those in Oct 1973 and Oct 1976. if you are not aware of the events that took place then, you are seriously under-informed about the significance of student activities in Thailand and their relationship to the authorities.

i urge anyone who doesn't know of these events read up on them.

Edited by cumgranosalum

look there is nothing wrong with these young groups going out and stating their stuff, I am pretty sure the PM would agree with that - they are the future generation in Thailand and I hope they have more sense than the last lot

My guess would be they were spoken too and told to wind their necks in a little and let stuff get done

There is no mistaking these young activists with the hard line paid for red thaksin terrorists that murder and kill people, I'd love to say protest all you like but then we know how others will use it and abuse it, so the same application of the current law must apply to all no matter how unfair it seems

look there is nothing wrong with these young groups going out and stating their stuff, I am pretty sure the PM would agree with that - they are the future generation in Thailand and I hope they have more sense than the last lot

My guess would be they were spoken too and told to wind their necks in a little and let stuff get done

There is no mistaking these young activists with the hard line paid for red thaksin terrorists that murder and kill people, I'd love to say protest all you like but then we know how others will use it and abuse it, so the same application of the current law must apply to all no matter how unfair it seems

I find this a wildly inaccurate assessment of the situation and both the students and government's attitudes.....can you explain how you came to these conclusions?

>>Her supporters say the coup was the latest assault by the royalist Bangkok-centric elite on the kingdom's burgeoning democratic forces -- in particular from the culturally distinct northeast, which voted in droves for Shinawatra parties.<< Quote

Wrong!!

The Yingluck government brought it on themselves, by at any price trying to force through the amnesty-bill to save Mr T's backside!!

As for the anti-coup protesters, wish them the best of luck!!

Wish I was that brave (ignorant?)

I think you need to do a bit of background reading and get up to speed on the background to all this. Those who obsess with the Thaksin factor are in fact missing out on the bigger picture.

It really surprises me how ill-informed some posters are on TV - if they are prepared to post on something, one would hae thought they would at least get themselves informed on the basics of the topic they intend to expound upon.

I find this a wildly inaccurate assessment of the situation and both the students and government's attitudes.....can you explain how you came to these conclusions?

I have given my opinion now you can give yours and if you want to expand a little feel free

>>Her supporters say the coup was the latest assault by the royalist Bangkok-centric elite on the kingdom's burgeoning democratic forces -- in particular from the culturally distinct northeast, which voted in droves for Shinawatra parties.<< Quote

Wrong!!

The Yingluck government brought it on themselves, by at any price trying to force through the amnesty-bill to save Mr T's backside!!

I think you need to do a bit of background reading and get up to speed on the background to all this. Those who obsess with the Thaksin factor are in fact missing out on the bigger picture.

It really surprises me how ill-informed some posters are on TV - if they are prepared to post on something, one would hae thought they would at least get themselves informed on the basics of the topic they intend to expound upon.

well as again on my above post - please enlighten us all with your wisdom, so far you have disagreed with the two posts above but have offered absolutely nothing except a critical comment to the posters

I will tell you this before you reply................................oh never mind

Whilst I applaud them, small groups are never going to work. You need to turn up in the thousands to garner any real attention.

Indeed. It would be good to see numbers like the student protests for democracy in Hong Kong.

The student protests in HK were USA financed to make troubles....nothing to do with democracy....

Indeed. It would be good to see numbers like the student protests for democracy in Hong Kong.

The student protests in HK were USA financed to make troubles....nothing to do with democracy....

always good to see h90's take on events........

Wrong!!

well as again on my above post - please enlighten us all with your wisdom, so far you have disagreed with the two posts above but have offered absolutely nothing except a critical comment to the posters

I will tell you this before you reply................................oh never mind

Yes - you don't seem to get the point - to discuss this issue one needs to understand the background...unfortunately it appears you don't really have this information so any discussion about "facts" or "wisdom" would be as I said before pointless - my advice is that you first get to grips with the basics before posting as then a discussion would be possible.

People seem to be posting what they consider to be "opinions" on this thread..... but opinion are based in information analysis and conclusion; as none of this appears to have taken place they can't be regarded as valid opinions - so my aim is to point out the fallacies in these statements.

It is also my contention that it is up to the poster to inform themselves on these issues before posting ads this leads to a more intelligent discourse

Wrong!!

Yes - you don't seem to get the point - to discuss this issue one needs to understand the background...unfortunately it appears you don't really have this information so any discussion about "facts" or "wisdom" would be as I said before pointless - my advice is that you first get to grips with the basics before posting as then a discussion would be possible.

People seem to be posting what they consider to be "opinions" on this thread..... but opinion are based in information analysis and conclusion; as none of this appears to have taken place they can't be regarded as valid opinions - so my aim is to point out the fallacies in these statements.

It is also my contention that it is up to the poster to inform themselves on these issues before posting ads this leads to a more intelligent discourse

Holy Christ almighty, you keep going on about this background that we all know nothing about and yet you still refuse to enlighten us, conclusion is you are a troll with nothing much to say

run along and play on your own - stay off the yogurt

Guess a bit history would be of help, eg a glance at October 1973 and 1976.

It's a difference if students want a change in material politics (eg communism) or a change in formal politics (eg free elections)

In October 1973 students rallyed for a revolution in material politics, now they rally for the formal right to let the people decide themselves.

Protests or not, this is the longest period of peace in a very long time,if people can't control themselves and control must be enforced on them,then peace must be the only choice, however long it must be enforced!

Edited by MAJIC

Here we go again, who's payroll are they on this time?

I would usually agree but in this instance I don't think so and as said already I would normally promote their efforts, but right now the country is on protest lockdown which I reluctantly agree with for now but for good reason, protests in Thailand have a habit of escalating to the point were they become someones divisive violent tool - guns appear and lives are lost

The rules are clear. There is no room for dissenters at this time and that's that! Out of a population of 65 million a few hundred decide to break the rules which is telling in itself.

Are you referring to junta and cohorts?

What courageous young people. These young democracy seeking students are prepared to stand up for the basic human right to freedom of speech! They are not terrorists and yet by peacefully demonstrating they are arrested for being a threat to National security because they have a different point of view to that of the military backed government. This has now become international news and certainly does not show Thailand's military rule in a good light. I wholeheartedly support them and their fight for freedom of speech throughout the world.

" basic human right to freedom of speech!" And who says this is a basic human right? In every country in the world you will be arrested if you say certain things in public, although what it is you say to get arrested may differ between countries. Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, etc.etc. are stifled in every country based on what is seen as the greater good, or what the 'majority ' want (even if that majority is often well under 50% in many 'democratically ' elected countries. Other OP are calling Thais cowards for not expressing more opposition. But in fact it's because most are Happy (including Isaan populace) with the stability, relative peacefulness, progress in challenging corruption, etc.for a change.

Some OP talk like "democracy" was decreed from the start of mankind by some imaginary god. .

How do you know what the Isaan populace want or like in terms of democratic governance? And what is your source that "most are happy"? Have you talked with or surveyed most of them? Most of the Isaan people I know, who I do not claim represent most of the 19 million people from Isaan, are far from happy with the present situation and would prefer more freedom of speech, expression and "democracy" in Thailand, including the right to vote for their own leaders.