Degree needed for Work Permit (not teaching)

Hello,

I've just accepted a job offer from an IT company and was in the process of starting to apply for the visa. HR recently contacted me and told me that by law I need to have a degree and show my transcript to obtain a Work Permit. I thought this was only needed for a teaching license if you're teaching at certain schools? I am currently studying for a degree so as of right now I do not hold one.

I would like some advice from the long-term members if possible, such as ubon.

Thanks

Ubon may be able to give more accurate advice but by Thia law you are not required to provide a degree thereby to obtain a WP.

However, having said that I am sure there may be an alternative. It may depend on how strict the IT HR want to be...

Edited by steven100

My Thai WP required a degree and CV showing I'm a "recognized expert in my field" whatever that means.

My (foreign owned) company is also having difficulties getting WP's for people whose jobs could they believe be handled by a Thai, even the ones with a degree. And we're nowhere near the limit of WPs based on investment or Thai employees.

I'd guess the answer is "it depends".

Is the IT company a Thai company, or foreign owned?

Thanks for the reply guys.

The company is Thai owned.

What made me wonder if it was "law" was I seen the requirement of "education certificate" on many sources (doesn't explicitly say degree but is confusing).

little bit worried...

Edited by Bountyhuntr

Thanks for the reply guys.

The company is Thai owned.

What made me wonder if it was "law" was I seen the requirement of "education certificate" on many sources (doesn't explicitly say degree but is confusing).

little bit worried...

Guess you've seen Siam Legal and their list. Possibly a tertiary degree not needed except in some instances such as in education. Perhaps "education certificate" can be a diploma but one legal site just says you need to supply the information but not the actual document. Myself, working at a university, required presenting my degrees and transcript to the university but I don't remember them going to the Labor department.

It does sound strange that they said you require a university degree unless HR just doesn't know what the requirements are and got confused. I am certain that your high school diploma and any IT certificate that you have would satisfy the Dep. of Labor.

Perhaps it is a job requirement and the HR staff just got confused. Is IT something that foreigners can get hired doing? Sounds like a job that any Thai could do and doesn't require some foreign expert. Perhaps they are trying to circumvent that by hiring you with a different title.

I would send the HR manager the link that Ubonjoe has and write a polite letter asking them if what you have satisfies that requirement.

Be very careful though. Making people feel that they don't know their job can shame them and they will resent you for it.

.....it's an arbitrary decision...so your life is in their hands....

...been there......done that.....

...always some nebulous excuse to refuse......

...but you do have to appear qualified.........

.....judging by what we read about daily........I guess for the locals it is a different ball game altogether...

Guess Thailand doesn't want Farang amateurs that never get a job in their home country.

With circa 2700 post since Oct last year I am reluctant to argue with such an expert.

However if you look at Aviation and the Oil and Gas Industry you will find people there, without degrees, earning 10 times what some expats earn in Thailand with tertiary qualifications.

Coming from Germany you should be aware that Germans in the older generations, did not have degrees, but more technical vocational qualifications or the other end of the spectrum a Masters. There seemed to be no in between.

Back on topic no you do not need a degree in some fields where they want and need you, BOI Companies requiring Technical experts or your own Company.wai2.gif

Edited by maprao

Of course they should accept vocational experience as qualification, too. Many academics lack practical experience, so a Master's degree should not be the only ultima ratio.

Guess the jobs that need training-on-the job should be reserved for Thais first. Farangs might leave the company or country after some years, and then all investments in their human resources would be gone.

Maybe a mix of degree for a profession and professional experience could be elaborated.

Did anyone actually need a CV for a wp?

Edited by micmichd

Not only is it not necessary to have a degree in many circumstances, but having or starting a company with 2 million baht authorised capital, does entitle one to apply for a W.P., with certainly no requirement to demonstrate a degree !

• Like 1

Not required for BOI company as technical expert.

Its required in a BOI company even as a technical experts if the job description so requires it

If a BOI company wishes to employ a foreign technical expert who area of expertise was theoretical physics, then one would expect said incumbent to have have a degree or higher degree in you guessed it theoretical physics and this would be detailed in the job description the company gives to the DOL, so one would think the DOL would expect to see a degree in theoretical physics not a couple of weekend classes in flower arranging

Not rocket science

Of course they should accept vocational experience as qualification, too. Many academics lack practical experience, so a Master's degree should not be the only ultima ratio.

Guess the jobs that need training-on-the job should be reserved for Thais first. Farangs might leave the company or country after some years, and then all investments in their human resources would be gone.

Maybe a mix of degree for a profession and professional experience could be elaborated.

Did anyone actually need a CV for a wp?

Per your last question Yes I had to submit a CV and all my credentials spanning back over 25 years

Not only is it not necessary to have a degree in many circumstances, but having or starting a company with 2 million baht authorised capital, does entitle one to apply for a W.P., with certainly no requirement to demonstrate a degree !

Its necessary to have a degree if the job description given to the DOL by the company so requires it