How much did your vet charge to snip your dog

Hey All,

We have two goldens and my male dog Leo is now 8 months old and on heat, he is now trying to hump Lea my 6 month old golden, today has become more serious as he literally will not leave her alone and she is becoming tired trying to get away from him, obviously it is time for Leo to be 'deballed'. I called the local vet where I usually take them and although they are quite expensive they always look after them both with care, he has quoted us 3500 bhat for the op. I thought that was quite reasonable but a friend of mine says that seems steep... wondering if any of your dogs have had this op and how much it cost?

As ever thanks in advance for any replies.

Whoops, I have found my answer out thanks to a good Thai friend of mine, another vets which is reputable is pricing between 500-1000 bhat to spay a male dog, 700-1300 for a female, so lucky I did shop around!

Admin can delete this or leave it for information on others looking at pricing,

Thanks

Well Leo has been taken in, picking him up later - his balls, the cost was 1500 in the end as he is 38kg... anyway it needed to be done but I am glad I shopped around as I saved myself 2000bhat,

Cheers all

We just had our Thai dog neutered, he is one year old.

It was done by a man working for Tessaban vet and was done here at home, price was baht 400.

The day after the cut he was playing with our female Golden Retriever as nothing had happened to him, but he do not jump on her anymore.

We are in Sisaket.

Whoops, I have found my answer out thanks to a good Thai friend of mine, another vets which is reputable is pricing between 500-1000 bhat to spay a male dog, 700-1300 for a female, so lucky I did shop around!

Thanks

May I clarify for you; male dogs get neutered, female dogs get spayed.

And if you were in Canada (probably same rate in USA), it would cost $500 (13,500 baht), maybe even more.

I can't resist the opportunity to include a picture of my girl, a Brittany, 8 years old, spayed long ago.

Good luck with the operation.post-232374-0-46551600-1432521295_thumb.post-232374-0-46551600-1432521295_thumb.

Thanks

Hi

You should not "deball" your dog with 8 month.. it may cause him Problems with growing further and others!

If you Need to do something it is better when the dog is over 1 year old..

and if they just cut the "spermpipe".. and NOT take out all his balls and so on - that makes is a little more easy for the dog!

Wish you all the best and a lot of happyness with your Dogs!

(By the way, the 1000 THB are the same to pay here in CM)

The price varies depending on the experience of the vet, where it is done and if gas is used (preferable).

Our dog's operation could have been done with an injection at a local vet who is good, speaks English etc at a reasonable price (forget what it was so it must have been low) or you can pay more and have it done at a good animal hospital with gas for a much larger bill.

Worth it?

A personal choice - for my family yes.

But we also go to Bangkok Hospital for normal human care and we could easily go to a small clinic or public hospital for a fraction of the price.

Again a personal choice with no one size fits all answer.

I hope that all is well now with your dogs,

Cheers.

May I clarify for you; male dogs get neutered, female dogs get spayed.

And if you were in Canada (probably same rate in USA), it would cost $500 (13,500 baht), maybe even more.

I can't resist the opportunity to include a picture of my girl, a Brittany, 8 years old, spayed long ago.

Good luck with the operation.post-232374-0-46551600-1432521295_thumb. post-232374-0-46551600-1432521295_thumb.

Beauty you've got there mate, I fully agree with how lucky we are here also with vet bills, in the UK I would have already spent a small fortune for my two.

Hi

You should not "deball" your dog with 8 month.. it may cause him Problems with growing further and others!

If you Need to do something it is better when the dog is over 1 year old..

and if they just cut the "spermpipe".. and NOT take out all his balls and so on - that makes is a little more easy for the dog!

Wish you all the best and a lot of happyness with your Dogs!

(By the way, the 1000 THB are the same to pay here in CM)

I must disagree with that, Leo my male Golden was on heat so badly he would hump anyone and anything in sight, he also would hump my younger golden to the point she was getting tired and ill from running away from him, although some found it funny I saw a more serious side to it. Not only was he humping anything he could, he was generally starting to go mad at anyone walking by, and generally ripping up anything he could, barking like a maniac, in fact he destroyed the outside of our brand new car which luckily our insurance are paying for. But that type of behavior is from being on heat and being restless... here in Thailand a barking dog is a big concern as although I have done my best to teach him not to bark, locals get easily annoyed and will not think twice about poisoning them. I have managed to teach my younger golden not to bark in the space of 2 days, but she listens alot more than Leo. Today is the day after his op, he is pretty much back to normal wagging his tail and looking healthy as ever, yet without the destructive and humping behavior... all in all I think it was a good move. This is also not mentioning the lowering risks of cancers etc,

Most male dogs can be neutered after 8 weeks, now I think that might be too early and I would say 6 months... but they say it is best before they come on there first heat. Although my Leo is only 8 months, but to look at him in size etc he looks alot older (38kg) so I think that also comes into play. Quote from Cesar Millan:

'In my experience, dogs neutered under 6 months develop less obesity and don’t establish some of the “male” behaviors that neutering is meant to treat. They are also less likely to jump a fence, fight, or get hit by a car. With no true proof of the risk of increased cancer--and the very real risk of bad behaviors or even physical injury from running away or fighting--I am letting my clients make their own decisions based on a debatable risk of cancer vs. the very real behavioral risks.'

I am curious to know if people find that their dogs change their character after they are neutered. I.e. Become less aggressive, stay at home more etc etc

Do some googling on that mate, from what I know I think it makes them alot less boisterous, destructive and obviously horny!

----

On a side note to anyone getting your dog done, my Leo would not wear the cone, flat out refused and if on he would go mental to the point he would run into the fances repetedly and yelp... a little you tubing I found this which is a great alternative:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pszNSfn7lzc

Thanks for the replies all

Edited by ryanhull

our vet who i worship charged us 800 per 23kilo.

the op will find he has a different dog after,and the wife wont get bruising on her thighs.

23kilo!! Thats a hell of a pair of gentleman's plums..

Take your dog to the local Animal Control Department. There, the regular price to do it in a puppy is about 500thb..probably more in an adult dog, but the price will be the lowest you can get.

Take your dog to the local Animal Control Department. There, the regular price to do it in a puppy is about 500thb..probably more in an adult dog, but the price will be the lowest you can get.

He has already been done yesterday, scroll up you can see how delighted he is with his new empty sack :)

Our small male mixed breed was neutered around 1 year old and still constantly tries humping my wife's 8 month old Pomeranian who's in heat.

I don't know when the optimum time is but if his was done earlier it may have quelled the humping instinct.

Mr Hall you must live in Beverly Hill California. 500$ whew!

I use to live in Lexington Ky I called the local humane society the cost was no charge if you were poor to a a maximum charge of 100$ if you were considered rich!

Very often the humping is not sexual at all, but dominance. Which is why you'll get a male humping a male (not homosexual activity) or females humping something.

And never allow your dog to hump your leg - it means he or she is the master, and you are being dominated. Just who's in control here, eh?

Had not one of my male dogs neutered I had in my not so short lifespan.

I have my balls, they should have theirs.tongue.png

For nearly 10 years I had in TH a pack of similar or same aged 5 male dogs, most, special dominant breeds.

1 Rottweiler, 2 Bullmastiff, 1 Doge de Bordeaux, 1 American Boxer, 1 French Bulldog, they roamed freely on 2 Rai of land, only feeding time they had been restricted to their kennels.

Worked, after a "hierarchy" settled in, but, no bitches where allowed.rolleyes.gif

For nearly 10 years I had in TH a pack of similar or same aged 5 male dogs, most, special dominant breeds.

1 Rottweiler, 2 Bullmastiff, 1 Doge de Bordeaux, 1 American Boxer, 1 French Bulldog, they roamed freely on 2 Rai of land, only feeding time they had been restricted to their kennels.

Worked, after a "hierarchy" settled in, but, no bitches where allowed.rolleyes.gif

Roamed freely? So you don't know if they were getting up to 'no good' with other females in the district? Or is it that you just think that it's someone else's problem if they don't spay their female?

Now I need to convince my gf to have her female dog spayed. Have been trying for a while, but her parents seem to think it's 'unnatural' or 'not right' on the grounds of some element of Buddhism I'm unaware of (NB they are followers of Kwan Im, goddess of mercy). Before, she was getting the dog some kind of shot at the vet that was supposed to prevent pregnancy for a few months. Well, DawkRak just had her first litter of four pups (father unknown) and I think the gf is just about on-side for the op; her job will be to convince the parents (which I hope should be achievable since the dogs are at their house).

This thread came in at just the right time - thanks.

Roamed freely? So you don't know if they were getting up to 'no good' with other females in the district? Or is it that you just think that it's someone else's problem if they don't spay their female?

I wrote - "they roamed freely on 2 Rai of land"

What you think, rolleyes.gif

1st - Why they roamed only on 2 Rai of land? = about 3.200 square meter

2nd - Why you think, I had no problems with this pack of about 200 kg of dog muscle outside from the 2 Rai of land = with hurting and killing of dogs and frightening people?

3rd - What you think, why had no problem with unwanted big dog offspring in the village,

or poisened dogs or stolen dogs - pure breeds are expensive.

Because, the 2 Rai of land where well enough walled and fenced. I did not think I have to write that. wink.png

With regards to female dogs, I personally am not a big fan of spaying. Yeah, yeah start bashing me. I opt for the "no-baby" shot every 5 months for my female Golden Retriever. No heat, no issues whatever after 5 years. I use a vet in Jomtien, although any Vet can administer it. I forget the price, but I think around 500 baht all-in every 5 months.