A sad way to end the evening.

Chiengmaijoe

At about 1am, on my way home tonight there was an accident just 100 metres or so in front of my car. A motorcycle coming in the opposite direction hit a young kid walking out of The White House on Old Chiang Mai - Lamphun rd. The motorcyclist flew up in the air and landed on our side of the road and the young kid was laid out on the opposite side of the road. The car in front of me had to stop but not sharply as it was just about far enough in front of him to be easily avoidable. Both lanes were blocked so traffic came to a halt. The car in front of me was a few seconds away from hitting the injured motorcyclist, as was I. A chilling thought.

The motorcyclist's helmet had come off, and with his head having hit the road he didn't look too good, but was breathing and moving slightly. Unfortunately, it seemed that the young kid wasn't. The emergency services arrived reasonably quickly and took care of the pedestrian first as he looked to be in more immediate need of attention, and shortly after a second vehicle arrived to take care of the motorcyclist. I'm pretty sure that the pedestrian was dead but hopefully not.

It was a tragic way of ending the evening . My guess is that the young kid was drunk and stepped out in front of the bike and to make matters worse I can only assume that the motorbike driver hadn't strapped his helmet on because it came off and was lying a few metres away from him.

This is a much too frequent occurrence in Thailand, unfortunately. If anyone knows or hears about the fate of the two guys involved in this Accident I'd appreciate the news. I hope it isn't too bad.

Yes, sad way is putting it mildly. Even though you were not directly involved in the accident, you were close enough and see it , and that will make you a part of it, at least in your mind. ..... and that memory, that sight, that vision , will probably remain in your mind for as long as you are around.

I can and do appreciate the interest you have in knowing the outcome, but believe me.... I do not envy your experience. Hope all turns out for the best.

G

Sad, indeed, Joe-- I've seen several 3 and 4 car pile ups in the last 2 or 3 days since the rains started--driving too close, trying to stop queue jumpers, driving too fast for conditions, etc.. these people will never learn, or change their ways unless the 'Powers That Be' take it seriously enough to start really making sure that Thai people can drive safely--I fear that I won't still be around when that day comes.

I realise that, in the case in question, it wasn't driver error, and I also wish the injured all the best. Especially the Motorcyclist, who seems to be not at fault.

Edited by haybilly

Did you not hang around to be a witness,as you obviously had a good view

of everything that sadly occurred,it might have been a great help to the M/C

rider,as it seems like he was not a fault.

I hope everything turns out OK for the injured,seeing accidents like this,makes you

look at life in a different way,I witnessed an accident in Ireland,where a post

on the back of a tractor when straight through a M/C rider,haunts me still.

regards worgeordie

Strange things some posters choose to share with u

s all. Happens all over the world so why post ?

You guys really are great! Sure, it happens two times a day here, 1 time every hundred days somewhere else, but hey, it could happen at either place!! Incidence rates are irrelevant and mean nothing to the safety of you, your family, or other loved ones!!!

Muggings have occurred in both Harlem and DesMoines Iowa. Therefore, it doesn't matter which place you decide to walk down the street at night!

ThaiVisa logic RULES!!!!

Strange things some posters choose to share with u

s all. Happens all over the world so why post ?

You guys really are great! Sure, it happens two times a day here, 1 time every hundred days somewhere else, but hey, it could happen at either place!! Incidence rates are irrelevant and mean nothing to the safety of you, your family, or other loved ones!!!

Muggings have occurred in both Harlem and DesMoines Iowa. Therefore, it doesn't matter which place you decide to walk down the street at night!

ThaiVisa logic RULES!!!!

??????!!!

Regards Worgeordie

Strange things some posters choose to share with us all. Happens all over the world so why post ?

Because if just one post makes us drivers , riders and pedestrians think a little more about our actions and save one life it will be worthwhile. Thanks for the post Joe.

Seen 3 major accidents since the rains began; all involving a motorcyclist... Only one of them appeared to have a positive outcome. I was right at the red light directly in front of the intersection where the accident had just occurred. 2 older guys were propping the motorcyclist up and he seemed to be communicating with them O.K. so it seemed he was O.K.; even though his motorcycle was in many pieces all over the intersection. He WAS wearing a helmet.

Seen 3 major accidents since the rains began; all involving a motorcyclist... Only one of them appeared to have a positive outcome. I was right at the red light directly in front of the intersection where the accident had just occurred. 2 older guys were propping the motorcyclist up and he seemed to be communicating with them O.K. so it seemed he was O.K.; even though his motorcycle was in many pieces all over the intersection. He WAS wearing a helmet.

Happens all over the world. After and during a rain the roads get slippery from the oil and the accident rates go up. All so the water coming up from tires on other vehicles has oil in it and you need a good window washing solvent in your window cleaner to cut through it.

There is hardly a time when I go out that I don`t see the aftermath of a motorbike accident, or on occasions actually witness a motorbike accident, mostly all involving young people.

I have friends and neighbors who have lost children from motorbike accidents and last year my wife`s cousin`s daughter was killed on her motorbike, and the list goes on.

Sorry to say; but it`s carnage out there and the only advice I can give, is for for those who have children, deter them from using motorbikes at all costs.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Did you not hang around to be a witness,as you obviously had a good view

of everything that sadly occurred,it might have been a great help to the M/C

rider,as it seems like he was not a fault.

I hope everything turns out OK for the injured,seeing accidents like this,makes you

look at life in a different way,I witnessed an accident in Ireland,where a post

on the back of a tractor when straight through a M/C rider,haunts me still.

regards worgeordie

Both lanes were blocked so there was no option but to hang around. I saw, in the short distance, something happening, but only really figured out what happened by seeing the aftermath. There are plenty of people coming out at that time and I assume his friends saw what happened. Unfortunately I have seen the results of other road accidents, partly because of the time of night that I go home, and partly because they are so frequent in Thailand. My experience was nowhere near as gory as the one you described but not one that I'd like to experience again.

I haven't heard of the outcome yet, and I haven't seen anything like the small offerings you see at the sight of a fatality, so maybe they both survived.

There is hardly a time when I go out that I don`t see the aftermath of a motorbike accident, or on occasions actually witness a motorbike accident, mostly all involving young people.

I have friends and neighbors who have lost children from motorbike accidents and last year my wife`s cousin`s daughter was killed on her motorbike, and the list goes on.

Sorry to say; but it`s carnage out there and the only advice I can give, is for for those who have children, deter them from using motorbikes at all costs.

If they don't live where there's alternative public or any other kind of transport, how are they supposed to get around?

How do they get to work/school/college, how do they visit relatives/friends etc.

I think they have very little alternative but to drive motorbikes.

One of the things I still find hard to understand are the bikers, Farang and Thai alike, who prop a helmet on their head, but don't lock it. I can understand not wanting to use a helmet and do not equate that with being an idiot, but when you are already suffering whatever discomfort the helmet gives you, locking the straps hardly adds a significant amount of more discomfort.

Simple: they wear it for compliance, not protection.

One of the things I still find hard to understand are the bikers, Farang and Thai alike, who prop a helmet on their head, but don't lock it. I can understand not wanting to use a helmet and do not equate that with being an idiot, but when you are already suffering whatever discomfort the helmet gives you, locking the straps hardly adds a significant amount of more discomfort.

What amazes me, when they are stationery on a Motorbike, when they do pull away, they never look over there shoulder to see if it's OK to go ????, they just pull out and drive...

I mean, that's basic instinct ????

This has long bemused me. I call it the pantomime rule. As in BEHIND YOU!!!

If you are behind me, you are not my responsibility. I am responsible for, and must pay attention to anything in front of me. Anything behind me is someone else's fault.

(Anything level with me is a bit of a grey area and we tend not to talk about it.)

Many locked helmets will fly off in an accident if the helmet is not a good fit or the strap is not tight. Too many people don't know this.

What amazes me, when they are stationery on a Motorbike, when they do pull away, they never look over there shoulder to see if it's OK to go ????, they just pull out and drive...

I mean, that's basic instinct ????

This has long bemused me. I call it the pantomime rule. As in BEHIND YOU!!!

If you are behind me, you are not my responsibility. I am responsible for, and must pay attention to anything in front of me. Anything behind me is someone else's fault.

(Anything level with me is a bit of a grey area and we tend not to talk about it.)

Not quite sure you understood robertthebruce's post there Konini.

I think he's talking about pulling away from the side of the road and into traffic, without checking what's coming first.

Applying your panto rule to joining traffic probably wouldn't see you stay alive very long.

Strange things some posters choose to share with us all. Happens all over the world so why post ?

Because he would like to know the outcome if anyone learns more about it. Duh! Did you even read the post?

Drove back to Bkk yesterday from Kanchaniburi. Two different accidents involving motorbikes, both with people laying on the street and traffic backed up for at least a Kilometer. Also seen three other accidents with only cars and trucks involved. Two were rear end collisions with three cars each involved just sitting on side of road and one was a huge truck sitting in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway with a few damaged cars around, traffic was down to one lane and backed up. It took 4 hours to drive where normally should have been 2.5 to 3 hour.

The only other place I have seen this much carnage on the roads has been Dubai during a rain.

I use to drive all the time in America sometime over a thousand miles with only stopping for gas and eating. I can't ever recall seeing so many accidents in one trip. Sad to say that yesterday's ride was not an isolated event, I see this too often here in Thailand. Very sad !

i was invoved in a fatal about 6 years ago (time flies) young student, straight road, can see for a good 500 metres. he just walked across in front of me. realy got to me, nightmares for years, cracked me up, then i start to blame myself, if i had not stopped for fish and chips, if i had not gone that way, his mum was realy great at the inquest, gave me a hug,then of course i went to pieces again, yes January the 28th will always be with me.

"What amazes me, when they are stationery on a Motorbike, when they do pull away, they never look over there shoulder to see if it's OK to go ????, they just pull out and drive..."

Watch them at an intersection when they are turning left, they never look right to see what is coming. Same idea, they expect other traffic to avoid them. When they turn right at an intersection they will follow the curb on the wrong side of the road, then they shoot across without looking behind them. No wonder so many deaths and accidents here.

Maybe he posted to inform members the dangers here from road accidents , maybe he is just sharing his experience. Or maybe as he had posted ,did anyone know the boy that was hit and is he ok? Nothing strange about his post, if anything your reply is strange and cold hearted.

Maybe he posted to inform members the dangers here from road accidents , maybe he is just sharing his experience. Or maybe as he had posted ,did anyone know the boy that was hit and is he ok? Nothing strange about his post, if anything your reply is strange and cold hearted.

circusman seems to have conveniently left the room.