A sad way to end the evening.

Chiengmaijoe

I rarely drive at night, for me it's too dangerous and most streets and roads are poorly lit....

Driving is not a pleasure for sure...

I am super cautious all the time , whether I am on my Scooter or driving my Car....

Same here, I avoid driving at night whenever possible. But unfortunately, some of these bike accidents do happen because of stupidity on part of the motorbike drivers? No lights at night (back nor front), two or three people on the bike, nobody wearing any helmet, just scares the living daylight out of me, knowing that if I hit them, MY fault, not matter what!

What amazes me, when they are stationery on a Motorbike, when they do pull away, they never look over there shoulder to see if it's OK to go ????, they just pull out and drive...

I mean, that's basic instinct ????

This has long bemused me. I call it the pantomime rule. As in BEHIND YOU!!!

If you are behind me, you are not my responsibility. I am responsible for, and must pay attention to anything in front of me. Anything behind me is someone else's fault.

(Anything level with me is a bit of a grey area and we tend not to talk about it.)

Reminds me of an incident on Sunday morning, combining Thai driving ability and the need to leave the scene in a hurry.

Outside my condo, black car carefully reversing out of his parking spot.

White car pulls in close behind him and sits.

Suddenly, loud blaring of white car's horn, and then the tinkle of broken headlight, mashed up rear lights of black car.

Black car floors the accelerator and takes off. White car in hot pursuit!

Better than a comedy!!!

Strange things some posters choose to share with us all. Happens all over the world so why post ?

If you've been shaken up by something like that, sometimes you have to get it off your chest. No harm with posting that on here imo

Strange things some posters choose to share with us all. Happens all over the world so why post ?

because we are posting what happens in our neighbourhood, close to our friends and Thai hosts !

We are not posting about your home country,

and when you are not here and live with us here,

Than please dont poste !!

What amazes me, when they are stationery on a Motorbike, when they do pull away, they never look over there shoulder to see if it's OK to go ????, they just pull out and drive...

yes they pull out like a Bull !!

Sometimes you can see, they check very secret - so that you cant see,

because he know, when he show no attention , you will stop !!

and he goes free with speeding !!

Thai driving style !

Will not change in 100 years, even article 44 would be implemented on bik drivers

The same thing happened to me here. Somebody on the side of the road staring at their phone, facing the other direction decides to run out into the road when I was 2-3 meters away. He got off with a bruise and a fat lip, I broke my arm in 5 places and my leg in two places. I had my helmet on (a 30k baht Nolan) and hit my head hard, didn't even get a headache.

I've been riding motorcycles for about 42 years, in Europe and the U.S. and had a couple minor accidents but never had so many incidents per km than in Thailand.

Until I moved here I never had a car touch me, in Thailand it happened twice the first month I had a bike. Once I was stopped at a light and a guy in a car slowly chewed his front fender up on my running board trying to turn left from the right lane.

If you're not going to buckle your helmet, you might as well not even wear it. It's funny that Thai's will put on a helmet and not fasten it so they can save a 200 baht ticket but they won't snap the buckle to protect their head.

get in! 'happens all over the world' straight in @ #4.......jesus this forum is soooooo zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... quality tourist, if you dont like it go home.......dont bother replying.....i never read them. i only go as far as post #12 to see when the predictable gets posted

Saw an accident on Silom last week with a motorcycle taxi being rear ended by a car.

The lady pillion passenger was riding side-saddle and, amazingly, wearing a hat - a straw hat - lucky she didn't land on her head or she would have most certainly died. The impact launched her in to the air and she half-landed on the back of the driver and the rest of the impact absorbed by awkwardly landing on her feet. Fortunately for the lady, she limped away.

I do hope that she has learned to wear a crash helmet. I won't be holding my breath, though.

get in! 'happens all over the world' straight in @ #4.......jesus this forum is soooooo zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... quality tourist, if you dont like it go home.......dont bother replying.....i never read them. i only go as far as post #12 to see when the predictable gets posted

EXACTLY!!!!!! The awesome part is how they think they are offering some insightful and cynical commentary about how things are 'the same everywhere' but just with a 'different shade'..

Buffalo and Cart to modern motorized vehicles in only one generation.

coffee1.gif

Have to be careful with this one...... some may interpret your statement as " Buffalo from pulling the cart to driving the cart " From some of the intelligence level, shown in some of these stories , that is very possible.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

If you are behind me, you are not my responsibility. I am responsible for, and must pay attention to anything in front of me. Anything behind me is someone else's fault.

(Anything level with me is a bit of a grey area and we tend not to talk about it.)

Easy to fix that grey area. Just don't look left or right. Learned that when I relearned to drive while living in Italy. Also the rule about not stopping at a stop sign so you can avoid being hit from behind.

Agree with this, how many tail/brake lights ever get replaced if the bulb go?.....It doesn't seem to be a problem. The amount of times my wife and I play 'Spot the Thai Ninja' while driving home on the 107 to Mae Taeng, this road is a fast dual carriageway with little to no traffic on it after 2100 hours, and no lighting. It's our way of staying alert to these morons, We have had one bad smash on this road, all down to no lights on a bike.....Oh..... and they were coming at us on our side of dual carriageway......

My wife and I joke that if cars and pick-ups where sold with an option of having just one fixed headlight (main beam) in the middle of the bonnet......No other lights on the vehicle, (sold for around a saving of 50,000 Baht) how popular would they be in Thailand?............... After all who need lights at the back....."I go forward not back"

Edited by Tonto21

We have had one bad smash on this road, all down to no lights on a bike.....Oh..... and they were coming at us on our side of dual carriageway......

Had my mother in the car at night. Dark road in the countryside. White light in our lane ahead. Looks like he's coming at us head on.

Get ready to stop etc, but no, he's moving away from us. Catch up and overtake him, his front light has been painted red.

Gone out of his way to have a white light on the back and red light on the front.

Try not to understand how they think mum.

coffee1.gif

We have had one bad smash on this road, all down to no lights on a bike.....Oh..... and they were coming at us on our side of dual carriageway......

Had my mother in the car at night. Dark road in the countryside. White light in our lane ahead. Looks like he's coming at us head on.

Get ready to stop etc, but no, he's moving away from us. Catch up and overtake him, his front light has been painted red.

Gone out of his way to have a white light on the back and red light on the front.

coffee1.gif

I've seen quite a few of those nutters with red front lights and white back lights. What are they thinking ...

coffee1.gif

I've seen quite a few of those nutters with red front lights and white back lights. What are they thinking ...

And never spotted by BiB

coffee1.gif

And never spotted by BiB

If it's after 21:00, they're not be be seen.

Strange things some posters choose to share with u

s all. Happens all over the world so why post ?

You guys really are great! Sure, it happens two times a day here, 1 time every hundred days somewhere else, but hey, it could happen at either place!! Incidence rates are irrelevant and mean nothing to the safety of you, your family, or other loved ones!!!

Muggings have occurred in both Harlem and DesMoines Iowa. Therefore, it doesn't matter which place you decide to walk down the street at night!

ThaiVisa logic RULES!!!!

??????!!!

Regards Worgeordie

It's easy; just start mixing up the colors (of all your pills).

I dont have a problem with it, the guy wants to talk about it and people on this forum might just be the only people he can get it off his chest with.

Why didnt you just say nothing and move on (Happens all over the world so why post)!

Edited by Kunjay