Where you from? an annoying question?

konying

Most likely more relevant to long term expats, though no doubt will attract lots of trolls.

Anyhow, "Where you from"

It is so annoying hearing it 100 times per day.

I go to the market, buy veggies, the entire buying and ordering process is in Thai. Without a doubt comes a question "you speak Thai good, where you from"

How does my origin relate to me speaking Thai good?grrr

Go shopping, trying out different clothing, here comes the same question" Where you from"

Again, how does my origin relate to shirt or jeans i am looking at?grrr

Go shopping with a GF, and no surprise there "where you from"

Ok, out in the clubs, and without a fail every conversation starts with "where you from"

Funny enough after answering the standard response is "Oh ok" so what was the point of asking? if it leads to nowhere but "ok"

I COULD possibly see some reasons for locals asking the stupid question, but foreigners seem to do the exact same.

Out in the bar, enjoying my quite drink, there comes Joe Smith, opening line "where you from" What the F..... is the difference where i am from.

But fine, give an answer, if it so happens we are from the same country, well it turns into some kind of greatest reunion.

Sorry, but if i wanted to be around my countrymen, i would not have migrated to Thailand.

Quite possibly i am over reacting, but after 14-15 years of daily "where you from" it really starting to bug me off.

Anyone feel the same or have other "questions" that bother you?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One time I said "Doi Lor".....in a pleasant voice and Thai smile the gal said "you don't Look Thai".....Perfect Thai deflection....

Like some saying i do not look like other people from my country, as if they know ALL or have seen ALL people from my countrygiggle.gif

Are you sure they're not asking, "what planet are you from"?

Speaking of troll's, did not take you longwhistling.gif

Welcome to my ignore list and congrats you are the first and most likely only one

Are you sure they're not asking, "what planet are you from"?

Speaking of troll's, did not take you longwhistling.gif

Welcome to my ignore list and congrats you are the first and most likely only one

It will look like your friends list then. ;)

Does this mean you will no longer take my 99 baht breakfast order ?

I'm with the OP on this one. This annoys the hell out of me too.

It particularly annoys me when it's other expats asking the question. Like the OP says, why the hell does it matter?

This is part of the reason why avoid idle chit chat with other farangs I may meet around town.

I remember reading one post on here from someone complaining about a fellow farang never letting onto him when he saw him in the supermarket.

Well to be honest, that farang was probably me and I avoid other westerners because I am tired of having the same conversation I've already had a gazillion times each time in pop into Makro.

And I know what you're thinking...but I'm really not as miserable as I sound in this post.

...Anyone feel the same or have other "questions" that bother you?

This topic bothers me. What a rant, lighten up.

A lot of folk like to make conversation, or are curious, or are culturally obliged to enquire.

How you react to it speaks more about you than them I would guess.

...Anyone feel the same or have other "questions" that bother you?

This topic bothers me. What a rant, lighten up.

A lot of folk like to make conversation, or are curious, or are culturally obliged to enquire.

How you react to it speaks more about you than them I would guess.

IF it bothers you, not only you do not have to respond, but do not even need to read itthumbsup.gif

As for making a conversation, by definition, conversation has to lead somewhere,

Oh Ok, is a dead answer, which does not lead to anything else, even more so when asked by someone who has never been out of Thailand or in many cases even on the airplane

As for foreigners asking the same dumb question, it only requires little brain cells to hear an accent and figure out persons origins.

I have always put this question in the same category as that when Thais ask me and themselves "Have you eaten yet ?" which is just a bit of polite social banter.

It just expresses interest in what is a far more socially gregarious culture than most of our own. Far more people orientated I feel and one of the reasons why Thais seem to recall names and when you met etc. far more readily than we tend to.

So answer the question already!

Where you from?

Mama and Papagigglem.gif

This kind of silly boy answer maybe get laugh at Mukdahan border crossing, but not so funny in Thai Alpine high country. Where Alpine high country? I know you really like to know. I tell you when you tell me where you from. By the way, not funny in rubber tree land either.

Mrs me and first husband Mrs (not me) want to know too. Entertainment Tonight calling every bloody 5 minutes too.

So, where you from?

So answer the question already!

Where you from?

Mama and Papagigglem.gif

This kind of silly boy answer maybe get laugh at Mukdahan border crossing, but not so funny in Thai Alpine high country. Where Alpine high country? You really want to know? I tell you when you tell me where you from. By the way, not funny in rubber tree land either.

Mrs me and first husband Mrs (not me) want to know too. Entertaiment Tonight calling every bloody 5 minutes too.

Where you from?

Sadly for the entire family, i have no interest in Thai Alpinetongue.png

IF it bothers you, not only you do not have to respond, but do not even need to read it:thumbsup:

You asked a question, I decided I wanted to responded. You asked what questions bother me. Yours did, so I said so.

You posted in a public forum. Members tend to read topics posted in forums.

Why post in the first place if you don't want responses you don't like or agree with.

As for making a conversation, by definition, conversation has to lead somewhere,

Oh Ok, is a dead answer, which does not lead to anything else, even more so when asked by someone who has never been out of Thailand or in many cases even on the airplane

As for foreigners asking the same dumb question, it only requires little brain cells to hear an accent and figure out persons origins.

Again, this response probably speaks more about you than the people trying to engage with you.

I have always put this question in the same category as that when Thais ask me and themselves "Have you eaten yet ?" which is just a bit of polite social banter.

It just expresses interest in what is a far more socially gregarious culture than most of our own. Far more people orientated I feel and one of the reasons why Thais seem to recall names and when you met etc. far more readily than we tend to.

When I was in second year uni it was a standing joke about how to spot a fresher- they were the ones who would ask where you were from and what course you were doing.

As we turned into proper adults we realised that this kind of behaviour was just normal people trying to make an effort to be friendly. A bit like here really I suppose.

Agreed. Where are you from? Have you eaten yet? and another I get a lot when passing folks - Where are you going?

Social banter, no harm intended, and often a nice way to trigger a conversation.

Back in country of origin similar to "so, what do you do"?

IF it bothers you, not only you do not have to respond, but do not even need to read it:thumbsup:

You asked a question, I decided I wanted to responded. You asked what questions bother me. Yours did, so I said so.

Why post in the first place if you don't want responses you don't like or agree with.

Again, this response probably speaks more about you than the people trying to engage with you.

You stated my question bothers you.

When i am bothered by something i walk away to get rid off bother, but thats me.

So you right, speaks more about me than people trying to ANNOY me.

When i go to buy veggies or fruits, i go to do just that, buy veggies or fruits, NOT to collect useless private informationthumbsup.gif

A couple of times it irked me and I answered Aotearoa. But then I realised I was being a jerk. So I said Australia, which confirmed I was a jerk. smile.png

Because the entire like or dislike of a country comes from experience with 1 person from that countrylaugh.png

Guest relations girl telling me she hates Germans,, why? because her last customer was bad and he was Germangiggle.gif

That's a very difficult question for people talking to me. I don't get asked a lot, but they're usually Taxi drivers who want to bring up a conversation.

Most people think I'm Italian, Greek or at the very least Mediterranean.

I was born in Bangkok, my mom is Thai, my dad is German. I spent my formative years half in Australia half in Europe. I have a unique, untraceable English accent that is the result from my multicultural upbringing. I speak Thai with a 100% Bangkok accent. So after listening to me talk, they get even more confused.

This question reminds me of the time when arrived early at a party.

To fill an awkward silence I asked this rather butch-looking young lady the

same question "Where are you from?"

She gave me the ugliest scowl she could muster and said loudly:

"from my mother's womb, that's where!"

Shocked and repulsed, I slunk away to a friendlier part of the room.

Her answer had the desired effect as apparently she wasn't interested in talking to men.

You stated my question bothers you.

When i am bothered by something i walk away to get rid off bother, but thats me.

So you right, speaks more about me than people trying to ANNOY me.

When i go to buy veggies or fruits, i go to do just that, buy veggies or fruits, NOT to collect useless private informationthumbsup.gif

You seem a right bundle of fun.....where you from? (Basically so i can avoid you)

Archived