UN and world community must help Asean nations cope with crisis: NSC chief

webfact

UN and world community must help Asean nations cope with crisis: NSC chief
WIRAJ SRIPONG,
SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE United Nations and international community must share the burden of countries in Southeast Asia to help end boat people crisis, rather than shifting the blame to any particular countries, National Security Council secretary general Anusit Kunakorn said over the weekend.

Thailand was not the country of origin for the illegal migrants, notably Rohingya, although the Kingdom was at the core of the current asylum-seeker crisis and a long-time bearer of the burden, he said.

Thailand is home to about 120,000 asylum-seekers from Myanmar, The Border Consortium says. Most have lived in nine camps along the border from Kanchanaburi to Mae Hong Son since the mid-1980s. Tens of thousands have been resettled in third countries over the past decade, while Thailand is engaging the government in Nay Pyi Taw and the UN refugee agency about plans to eventually repatriate those still in the border camps.

The Rohingya issue is complicated because Myanmar does not recognise them as national citizens, Anusit said.

"We have talked with Bangladesh about Bangladeshi migrants but cannot raise the issue of Rohingya with Myanmar," said Anusit in an interview with The Nation.

"Thailand is only a transit country and what we can do is provide food, water and other basic needs on a humanitarian basis for them."

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) estimates that more than 25,000 migrants have taken boat journeys from Bangladesh and Myanmar to other Southeast Asia countries in recent times. Malaysia and Indonesia announced last week they would shelter them for one year before seeking to repatriate them.

The UNHCR called on countries in the region to help save 3,500 migrants believed to be still at sea.

It's estimated up to 2,000 people are still stranded on boats in the Bay of Bengal, and another 1,500 farther to the south in the Andaman Sea, the UN said on Saturday.

Thailand's military government has only said it would provide humanitarian assistance to the Rohingya and Bangladeshi migrants.

Anusit said the issue would be discussed when representatives of 17 countries and three international organisations gather in Bangkok on Friday.

"We will know how to handle this particular issue after the May 29 meeting, when countries say how they will help," the security chief said.

Thailand has faced the problem of Rohingya migrants for long time but the issue became a grave concern in early 2009 when the Navy towed their boats out to the high seas.

The issue flared again late last month when the remains of Rohingya were found in a mass grave in Songkhla province near the southern border - an area criss-crossed with human-trafficking routes.

Thailand treats the Rohingya as illegal migrants and around 300 of them are currently reported as being detained.

It is understood that the government will not set up "shelters" for them - only temporary holding areas - as it fears that the Rohingya issue will be like other cases in the past, with asylum seekers remaining in the country for many years.

"Thailand is limited in its means as the country already hosts a significant number of refugees," Anusit said. "The crisis has occurred in the Bay of Bengal and requires international cooperation to address this issue."

At the moment, combating human trafficking is at the top of the government's agenda, he said.

The Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has given a strict timeline of one month to deal with this issue.

Meanwhile, nine more people wanted for human |trafficking have been detained, bringing the number of suspects in custody to 43, with 34 still on the run.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/UN-and-world-community-must-help-Asean-nations-cop-30260864.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-25

hate to say it but send these people back to where they came from

feed them - give them health checks - put them up for a few weeks but they need to go back to the country they came from provided they are not under any threat of violence, Pakistan and Myanmar need to step up and sort their own (shit) out - that is their nationality why should Thailand and other countries be having to deal with this

Obviously the human trafficking set aside as it is deplorable and those involved need to be locked up

As callous as it seems, the most practicle and humane thing to do is give them food, water & medicine and sufficient fuel so they can return to where they came from, be that Myanmar or Bangladesh. It was mentioned on the news that some Myanmar migrants were telling UNHCR officials they were Rohingya refugees so they would qualify for aid assistance.

These are Bangladesh & Burmese & Rohingya's ......

It is the correct thing to do as letting them in would send the message that any arrivals by boat will be taken care of. This would have 100,s of thousands turn up in days. This is simply not the solution.

As shown by Thailand and other countries ... assist and help them in a humanitarian way with food, water & all the essentials.

Next step would be to go after the smugglers and kill them. This will stop further boats coming and also assist those in need now.

Asian nations need to step up to the plate on this the UN and the west cannot keep giving , we now have many problems ourselves and we have helped for to long with no thanks or respect for our troubles,

I think Bangladesh and Myanmar need to step up and take some responsibility ...... after all these illegal migrants were from these countries originally.

How about the wonderful Buddhist fraternity In Thailand have a word with their "brothers" in Mynmar about the bad karma that will come their way from hassling these Muslims?

The karma may even take the form of IS!!

Asian nations need to step up to the plate on this the UN and the west cannot keep giving , we now have many problems ourselves and we have helped for to long with no thanks or respect for our troubles,

Agreed, and I find his rhetoric sickening, not our problem someone else can fix it.

SEA has the wealth to tackle this problem a bit short on expertise perhaps and almost totally void of the understanding of any moral obligation and responsibility

This is your region show some effort you can be the HUB of sorting regional problems..

Millions in China live in deplorable conditions, hardly noticed and certainly not reported.

It's a matter of time before these people are on the move also.........UN and Western world responsibility?

Agreed, and I find his rhetoric sickening, not our problem someone else can fix it.

SEA has the wealth to tackle this problem a bit short on expertise perhaps and almost totally void of the understanding of any moral obligation and responsibility

This is your region show some effort you can be the HUB of sorting regional problems..

Agree ... Thailand didn't tell these people to get on a boat. I think Bangladesh and Myanmar need to step up and take some responsibility ...... after all these illegal migrants were from these countries originally.

you seem to be learning.

Completely agree with this point.. It seems on one side the West is told to mind its own business when it comments on International affairs,, whilst on the other hand the West is asked for assistance when it suits.

Its time they stepped up and dealt with issues themselves rather then look to the West,, either they want involvement or they don't, cherry picking when it suits them is pretty pathetic in my view.

Agree ... Thailand didn't tell these people to get on a boat. I think Bangladesh and Myanmar need to step up and take some responsibility ...... after all these illegal migrants were from these countries originally.

you seem to be learning.

Steve I think you have it wrong my opinions on this issue have not changed at all my post you have quoted is in line with all my previous posts on this issue. My opening line refers to the Thai officials comments in the OP,it is not a reference to what the boat people may have said

All my posts are about Thailand and other SE Asian nations taking responsibility and offering assistance for issues in their region. Slowly this is what they are now doing. I have never made demands that the West or UN intervene I have repeatedly demanded the countries of the region help the boat people as have others on this forum, while yourself and like mined people have shown disregard for the welfare of the boat people based on racism, religious intolerance and a sad lack of empathy.

Completely agree with this point.. It seems on one side the West is told to mind its own business when it comments on International affairs,, whilst on the other hand the West is asked for assistance when it suits.

Its time they stepped up and dealt with issues themselves rather then look to the West,, either they want involvement or they don't, cherry picking when it suits them is pretty pathetic in my view.

When the cap fits wear it, that`s the Thai way.

Stop it at source. get the military to police the seas and borders. and start with real punishment, not just inactive post`s.

Thai society has used these people for monetary gain for years, time to put your hand in your pocket and give some back, and as for, its not our problem,by allowing them into the country and extorting there family's and using them as slaves, you made it your fault, don't apportion blame anywhere but on yourselves`s,welcome to the real world.

There is a similar situation in Africa, especially South Africa, with trans-border movement of people. Giving aid to countries and peoples that have no concept of birth control and family management is just making the situation worse and throwing money into a bottomless pit. Sounds cruel I know, but the biggest crisis the world faces is overpopulation.