Only millionaires can have a credit card in Thailand?

By yhe

Different banks, different branches, different mood. Got it?

Yesterday here in Pattaya went into my Ayudda bank in central ,no problem deposite 40k in bank,I have far more and you can have a card no need to always have 40k in there no problem if you go under that amount,Tesco branch ,must keep a balance of 40 k or over at all times,so tried Thanachatt ,have quite a lot on deposite there,how old are you,if you are over 60 cannot have credit card in Thailand ,no matter how much in bank , this place can be a real joke can't it?

The only reason I want a credit card in the first place is to pay for airline tickets etc online,as this is the only place I know that will not accept a debit card

Went back to thanachart yesterday spoke to the manager and said i had phoned ho in bangkok and that it was not true that you could not have a card over 60 and that i was now going to write to the ceo of Thanachart (i have been with them 9 years and never have less than 300/400 000 in their bank , panic ensued and i was given the forms to fill in .all 10 of them ,and told when i bring them back i can have a card, mind you you wont believe the questiones , i think the only thing it doesnt ask is what colour underpants i am wearing.l

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By yhe

Yesterday here in Pattaya went into my Ayudda bank in central ,no problem deposite 40k in bank,I have far more and you can have a card no need to always have 40k in there no problem if you go under that amount,Tesco branch ,must keep a balance of 40 k or over at all times,so tried Thanachatt ,have quite a lot on deposite there,how old are you,if you are over 60 cannot have credit card in Thailand ,no matter how much in bank , this place can be a real joke can't it?

The only reason I want a credit card in the first place is to pay for airline tickets etc online,as this is the only place I know that will not accept a debit card

Went back to thanachart yesterday spoke to the manager and said i had phoned ho in bangkok and that it was not true that you could not have a card over 60 and that i was now going to write to the ceo of Thanachart (i have been with them 9 years and never have less than 300/400 000 in their bank , panic ensued and i was given the forms to fill in .all 10 of them ,and told when i bring them back i can have a card, mind you you wont believe the questiones , i think the only thing it doesnt ask is what colour underpants i am wearing.l
300/400k...... panic ensued, LOL talk about another deluded farang full of self importance and is still managing to whine

300-400k one assumes your talking about USD/GBP ? Not THB surely?

He gave you the forms to get rid if you dear boy...

10 forms LOL he is really jerking your chain LOL, my cc application with SCB was a single form and they filled most of it in....

Another deluded farang who thinks he has got one over on the natives, however one suspects its the other way around in this case

Edited by Soutpeel

By yhe

300/400k...... panic ensued, LOL talk about another deluded farang full of self importance and is still managing to whine

300-400k one assumes your talking about USD/GBP ? Not THB surely?

He gave you the forms to get rid if you dear boy...

10 forms LOL he is really jerking your chain LOL, my cc application with SCB was a single form and they filled most of it in....

Another deluded farang who thinks he has got one over on the natives, however one suspects its the other way around in this case

Wow ............ must be the humidity

This is the email that created the OP's problem, dated 29th May 2014.

Dear Customer,

TMB Bank appreciates your trust in our TMB Internet Banking service and would like to inform you this important matters prior to the implementation of our newly developed Internet Banking, which will be introduced in July 2014.

According to our information, you have opened account with TMB without submitting the necessary documents to the bank in the account opening process. Our governing body requires that foreigners who open account with TMB must provide such documents to TMB Bank. Otherwise, the bank cannot provide customer with online banking service.

For our foreign customers residing in Thailand, please visit nearby TMB branch where you can request our staff to update your personal information to include necessary items. When the data is updated, you will be able to continue using TMB Internet Banking in the new form, which will be launched in July 2014.

We understand our foreign customers are staying in Thailand for various reasons. Please see the details of required documents that fit your status. Please contact our branch to update your information before 27 June 2014.

1. For Customer with Work Permit, please bring these items:
A) Your passport. (Branch staff will take care of making copies of certain page such as Visa page and immigration stamp page).
A copy of your Work Permit

2. For Customer with no Work Permit but possessing a visa for long-term stay:
You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

3. For Customer who is currently enrolled in academic institute and has no Work Permit.
A) Your passport.
A letter from your academic institute to certify your status as a student.
C) A copy of your student ID card.

Please DO NOT scan/attach your documents and reply to this e-Mail as it is against our security policy regarding confidentiality of customer's information.

For customers who cannot provide these documents or living outside of Thailand, your TMB Internet Banking User ID will not be able to login after the new TMB Internet Banking is introduced. However, please note that the termination of your Internet Banking' s User ID does not mean bank account closure. TMB Bank will not close or deactivate your account. Therefore even after your TMB Internet Banking service is terminated, you will still be able to withdraw your money at branch counter or ATM as usual.

Should you find it impossible to deliver TMB Bank with required Work Permit document, please take this time to manage your necessary transaction before 27 June 2014 to avoid unexpected difficulties.

TMB Bank realizes our compliance with regulations will be causing effect to our customers. Please accept our apology for this matter.

Yours sincerely

TMB Bank Public Company Limited

Edited by sandyf

Kasikorn bank has just sent me a visa and mastercard which I never even applied for. Called them about what's going on, annual fee of 3500 baht for each card nice little money earner for the bank. Am I a millionaire in $ no....

Kasikorn bank has just sent me a visa and mastercard which I never even applied for. Called them about what's going on, annual fee of 3500 baht for each card nice little money earner for the bank. Am I a millionaire in $ no....

Yeah nah. They did not just randomly send you credit cards.

Funny that isn't it, I have been here 14 years, actually have cc's issued by a Thai bank which i applied for , a credit record based on co-signing a housing loan for a Thai national, had a few cars on terms over the years and of course the cc's and have never received unsolicited cards from any Thai bank

So in addition to not being a US millionaire, one also suspects the poster of this comment is a BSer of the highest order

Having had an airasia creditcard and bank accounts for over 20 years with Kasikorn bank, When I called them after receiving them certified mail was told they are no long doing business with airasia anymore. Like I said received two new platinum cards last week. 1 a visa the other a mastercard, which I never applied for. But then again maybe I am bullshiting..

The last two posters you seem to know more than me.. good on ya...I really have a reason to be bullshitting..NOT...back to your caves...

Funny that isn't it, I have been here 14 years, actually have cc's issued by a Thai bank which i applied for , a credit record based on co-signing a housing loan for a Thai national, had a few cars on terms over the years and of course the cc's and have never received unsolicited cards from any Thai bank

So in addition to not being a US millionaire, one also suspects the poster of this comment is a BSer of the highest order

Shame you have to have cars on terms ,i pay for them cash ,but then i am only a deluded Falang .

Having had an airasia creditcard and bank accounts for over 20 years with Kasikorn bank, When I called them after receiving them certified mail was told they are no long doing business with airasia anymore. Like I said received two new platinum cards last week. 1 a visa the other a mastercard, which I never applied for. But then again maybe I am bullshiting..

The last two posters you seem to know more than me.. good on ya...I really have a reason to be bullshitting..NOT...back to your caves...

Thanks for confirming they did not randomly send you 2 credit cards.

Shame you have to have cars on terms ,i pay for them cash ,but then i am only a deluded Falang .

Yes you are dear boy, actually I keep the vast majority of my investments and cash well outside Thailand and seeing I have a credit history in Thailand why not use it ?

So you were BSing then go back read what you wrote, it wasn't some random or out of blue thing from k-bank

Yes you are dear boy, actually I keep the vast majority of my investments and cash well outside Thailand and seeing I have a credit history in Thailand why not use it ?

So do I but I have lots here as WELL,but if we are having a pissing contest ,I am sure you will be so pleased to hear that I have just been informed that my credit card application has been approved,so not as much a deluded falangs as you called me after all,anyway it only goes to show that if you have lots of money in an account and have done for many,many years it pays not to accept what a cashier tells you because she is to lazy to do her job

Well one deluded falang signing off and trusting that in future you put your rude comments where the monkey hides his peanuts

Edited by i claudius

So do I but I have lots here as WELL,but if we are having a pissing contest ,I am sure you will be so pleased to hear that I have just been informed that my credit card application has been approved,so not as much a deluded falangs as you called me after all,anyway it only goes to show that if you have lots of money in an account and have done for many,many years it pays not to accept what a cashier tells you because she is to lazy to do her job

Well one deluded falang signing off and trusting that in future you put your rude comments where the monkey hides his peanuts

Good for you where was the pissing match ? still doesn't change the fact your a deluded farang full of self entitlement

It only means that you have a good credit history since you're been living here for 20 years, And you've probably been working inside Thailand as well unlike most of us. So yes, you're in a good position , not a millionaire but the CC companies loves you.

Edited by balo

• 2 weeks later...

Applied for a credit card last week at Kasikorn Bank. My salary is well above their 50K minimum, have a work record of one and a half year (2-year work permit and non-o visa), provided salary slips, bank book, etc. Never had any credit cards before. They rejected me after almost 3 weeks. I asked about the reason, they said they'll inform me via mail. My friend, younger than me, with almost half of my salary and the same work record got it after 3 days.

Now there are two differences between me and my friend. He applied at Krungsri, I applied at Kasikorn. He is from Philippines, I'm from Iran.

What do you think? Racism again? Is it worth it to give it a try with Krungsri?

Applied for a credit card last week at Kasikorn Bank. My salary is well above their 50K minimum, have a work record of one and a half year (2-year work permit and non-o visa), provided salary slips, bank book, etc. Never had any credit cards before. They rejected me after almost 3 weeks. I asked about the reason, they said they'll inform me via mail. My friend, younger than me, with almost half of my salary and the same work record got it after 3 days.

Now there are two differences between me and my friend. He applied at Krungsri, I applied at Kasikorn. He is from Philippines, I'm from Iran.

I wouldn't call it racism to be honest. Iranians definitely carry more risk than your average foreigner. But they should of issued you that card since you documented a decent amount of income.

I wouldn't call it racism to be honest. Iranians definitely carry more risk than your average foreigner. But they should of issued you that card since you documented a decent amount of income.

Well if there was a global sanction or something on Iranians having credit cards I could understand that. But I have friends on Iranian passport living in Malaysia, Singapore, Sweden, America, etc and all got their credit cards at first shot! That's really annoying. Specially when you have enough saving in your account with a good turnover with the same bank. Honestly I'm totally fine with paying in cash. The only reason I need a credit card is that some online payment gateways don't accept Visa Debit. And besides sometimes decent promotions and 0% installments come up which look really interesting.

Well if there was a global sanction or something on Iranians having credit cards I could understand that. But I have friends on Iranian passport living in Malaysia, Singapore, Sweden, America, etc and all got their credit cards at first shot! That's really annoying. Specially when you have enough saving in your account with a good turnover with the same bank. Honestly I'm totally fine with paying in cash. The only reason I need a credit card is that some online payment gateways don't accept Visa Debit. And besides sometimes decent promotions and 0% installments come up which look really interesting.

I was gonna advise you to get a CC from an Iranian bank until I remembered something. Iranian banks were banned from the SWIFT system because of the sanctions right? Damn, its a tough one for you. Just try another bank, I think you had an unlucky encounter.

Just for the sake of contributing back to the community I'm going to write updates on my credit card application and difficulties!

Update #1: I got a mail from Kasikorn (in Thai) saying that one of the necessary documents is missing and that is a copy of a valid visa. Apparently the beautiful lady copied the wrong visa page. So I went to the same branch today and told them exactly which pages to copy and send back along with the letter! That reminded me of the first time I visited this branch to open a savings account and another beautiful lady couldn't operate their portal. Then I went behind his desk to help her and after 2 hours of unsuccessful tries they called in the manager and she taught her how to open an account for a foreigner. A piece of advice, never visit Kasikorn at Central Plaza Chaengwattana. And that is coming from a guy who reads, writes, and speaks fluently in Thai!

• 3 weeks later...

Update #2: After 2 phone calls from Kasikorn confirming my personal info and asking some questions about my salary history, today finally I got an SMS from the bank saying that my credit card is approved and will be sent to the same branch in a week. I'm already thinking about moving to another bank. Totally disappointed by the quality and speed of service at Kasikorn. I mean 2 months to get a credit card?! Not sure if I hit a problem with my credit card (like fraud, etc) how they're going to handle it.