Travelling to UK via Amsterdam

I'm planning to bring Thai wife back to UK via a stop over in the Netherlands. We don't plan to leave the airport, just transfer to UK flight. Does she need a Schengen visa for this?

No, if your wife does not leave the transit area she won't need a visa (and if you decided to leave the transit area you could get a visa on the spot provided that she joins you and you can make evident that she is your wife).

No she won't need a schengen visa so long as she stays in the (construction site) transit area of Schipol airport.

I'm planning to bring Thai wife back to UK via a stop over in the Netherlands. We don't plan to leave the airport, just transfer to UK flight. Does she need a Schengen visa for this?

I have done this trip BKK to AMS then on to MAN via KLM airlines. The midday departure from BKK allows us time to travel by bus from Pattaya. The wait in AMS is a couple of hours & we land in Manchester at 9.15pm. We've never even thought of a Schengen visa.

We've starting stopping off in Amsterdam for a day or so when we travel to the UK, we both like the city and the Dutch are very relaxed about issuing Schengen Visas to wives or partners of EU nationals, and free of charge.

Using Amsterdam as an entry into Europe, and more importantly when leaving Europe, considerably reduces the UK APD liability, and makes the stopover very cost effective.

We stopped over in April and are doing so again in July.

• Like 1

We've starting stopping off in Amsterdam for a day or so when we travel to the UK, we both like the city and the Dutch are very relaxed about issuing Schengen Visas to wives or partners of EU nationals, and free of charge.

Using Amsterdam as an entry into Europe, and more importantly when leaving Europe, considerably reduces the UK APD liability, and makes the stopover very cost effective.

We stopped over in April and are doing so again in July.

Can you please tell me if the Schengen visa can be issued on entry into a Schengen country for free if my Thai wife has a valid UK visa. We want to travel to the UK for a couple of weeks then go to Greece for a week or so then back to the UK for a couple of weeks before travelling back to Thailand. If the Shengen visa has to be applied for before departing Thailand it would be another expense on top of the application for the UK visa. I have previously taken my then girlfriend to the UK but now we are married and it seems as though you get the Schengen visa for your wife when you enter Amsterdam. Regards.

Technically yes, but good luck trying to board a plane and reach the Schengen border without a visa. Possible via Calais-Dover.

Best to get the free visa fron the Greek applying from TH or UK or any other place in the wolrd that handles Greek Schengen visas.

Technically yes, but good luck trying to board a plane and reach the Schengen border without a visa. Possible via Calais-Dover.

Best to get the free visa fron the Greek applying from TH or UK or any other place in the wolrd that handles Greek Schengen visas.

Immigration on Kos dont worry about visas Donutz :-)

• Like 1

Immigration on Kos dont worry about visas Donutz :-)

That might be, but the airline check-in staff in the UK would be interested in proper visas (a Schengen visa that is). So unless hocuspocus plans to swim or row to Kos I'd still get a free EU/EEA family member visa in advance. If they have yet to apply in BKK for the UK visa, stopping by at the Greek embassy might just be a short stop. If visiting BKK is not an option, a 2 week window should be enough to apply for the visa from within the UK (since these type of applicants need to be given every facility, which would include applying from the UK).

• Like 1