Internationally certified firearm instructor in Chiang Mai

connda

Does anyone personally know of a firearms instructor who holds an internationally accepted firearm instruction certification (example: IDPA, IPSC, etc) here in Chiang Mai?

I'm looking for an individual who can work with my Thai wife in a course of instruction that includes firearm safety, Thai law regarding firearms, theory and mechanics, and live fire.

I'm reluctant to approach anyone from any of the local shooting ranges. I need to be able to verify that the individual training my wife had the expertise and understanding of firearms. “I know how shoot dee dee.”, isn't going to cut it.

I'd prefer a native Thai speaker (so things don't get lost in translation), but my wife speaks better than average English, so an English speaker could work.

Why don't I teach her myself? For the same reason that I didn't teach my own (ex)wife how to snow ski, even though I was a PSIA certified Ski Instructor. It's just somewhere you don't go.

Please keep this 'on-topic'.

Thanks!

I have been told that an old acquaintance of mine who was on the 1982 Thai Olympic shooting team has been working at the shooting range up in Mae Rim. Might want to ask around up there. For years he and his father were the go-to gunsmiths in Chiang Mai.

• 3 weeks later...

Interested in this thread. I was wanting to take the Black Badge course and start shooting IPSC. OP please update if you find your IPSC instructor.

SM

You bet. I'll keep this updated.

Search the internet for, "Chiang Mai hand to hand combat"

15000฿ for that course (sound of air sucking through my teeth). Not something that would be geared toward my wife. And personally, I wouldn't be interested in that particular course. I've got experience with all the types of guns shown, and when it get's down to field stripping guns, I really just need to know that for my own weapons - like I could take my own Glock completely apart and put it back together again - good to know for your personal firearms. Looks like a good course for someone interested in getting into the Bodyguard field but who has little background in weapon's handling. What I'd really, really, really like to find is something like The Firearms Academy of Seattle where I use to live. Look them up online to get a feel of the type of services they offer. I really don't think there is anything close to FAS, Inc here in Thailand, no less Northern Thailand. But, just guessing really.

At the moment I think I'll check around the Mai Rim ranges first, but the instructor at the Hand to Hand Combat school might be worth talking to for general information. I'll keep that in mind and thanks for the info!

Edited by connda

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I drove up from Lamphun today to look at gun ranges. I didn't get any further than the gun range at the Army base in Mae Rim. We had a wonderful talk with a Thai women there, spoke both English and Thai, and was extremely helpful in making my wife feel relaxed. She had hand-on experience with most of the handguns there, and was able to explain and help the wife. It was a good discussion. It seems that this range is staffed with Army marksmen who are firearm instructors. So for my wife, I think this is a great start. All the firearms they rent are primarily well know brands: S&W, Ruger, Glock, etc. I sort of wish they had a selection of Chinese guns that we could try out, but that's the cheap charlie in me talking. I do sort of shutter, price-wise, considering the Glock I had back home cost me $500 and the same gun would set me back about $2500 USD here (ouch!). But it is what it is. I really miss practicing, and this will give me an outlet to do something I really enjoy as my wife works with an instructor. We're going to take our time on this. I want my wife to be fully immersed, knowledgeable, and comfortable with whatever gun she will finally choose to purchase.

As far as instructors, really, an IPSC instructor for my wife at this time would be total overkill ('xcuse the pun). I could use that level of instruction, especially considering I haven't shot since I left the US 8 years ago, but the wife should be fine getting the basic of safety, protocol, firearm law, and handgun technique training from the available pool of Army instructors. I expect we'll join the club, and as we get to know more individuals in the club, we can find key individuals who may be of the most benefit for my wife's basic training, and my own desire to move toward IPSC shooting. For myself, I can find out what the barriers are going to be, and see how to overcome them. I'm hyped, but not in a hurry. It would be nice to get back to something that is familiarly part of a US sub-culture that I've always enjoyed. Man, now if I wanted to shoot skeet and traps, I wonder how much that would set me back, Lol. Better to not think about that right now, I'd be getting ahead of myself biggrin.png

Ahhh, a cup of coffee and the acrid smell of Cordite in the morning. I'll love it!

Edited by connda

Connda,

"I do sort of shutter, price-wise, considering the Glock I had back home cost me $500 and the same gun would set me back about $2500 USD here (ouch!)."

The cheap Chinese stuff is also horribly overpriced, better to spend the extra for quality that will last.

I want my wife to be fully immersed, knowledgeable, and comfortable with whatever gun she will finally choose to purchase.

She's definitely buying one?

Yeah, but we're going to spend some time on her training before she applies for the permit.

Also, here in Chiang Mai I only know of one gun dealer, an Indian Sikh off of Chang Moi Road whose family must have immigrated, and he told me he doesn't sell to foreigners. Not sure of the response I'll get when I bring the Mrs., but he was not a friendly chap in the least. When we choose to buy, we may be forced to make a trip to Bangkok.

Connda,

"I do sort of shutter, price-wise, considering the Glock I had back home cost me $500 and the same gun would set me back about $2500 USD here (ouch!)."

The cheap Chinese stuff is also horribly overpriced, better to spend the extra for quality that will last.

That's what I'm thinking too. US made and dependable, or Chinese-made and jams hard when you need it most. I think I prefer dependable.

The Rock Island Armory handguns made by Amscor in The Phils are very good for the money if you're budget conscious. I don't own one but I have friends who do and I see them at the range. The guys like them.

Do you happen to know any gun shops or gun smiths in Chiang Mai?

Hi, I am an IPSC range officer and guided many events in Austria / Europe and even shot the IPSC State Championship in Austria and was Range Master at this event, too. Now retired in Thailand, living in between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Go to Chiang Mai approx. 3 times a month for shopping.

Have fun teaching and am very conscious about safety. You have to be if you are rangemaster at events where about 100 people fire 360.000 shots like the state Championship in Austria and you do not want to see problems.

You seem a little bit suspicious, so I think I can show some medals and papers proving my qualification.

I am somewhat surprised I have a user account on this website, maybe some years old, a friend sent me your thread.

As I am not a regular user, if you want contact pls. explain, how I can tell you without all farangs in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai having may name and phone number!

Cheers!