Some questions about family/holiday UK visa for wife

Thanks guys.

@Mobi - About those utility bills, I have none in my name, the internet is in my wife's name with my surname that she has taken. I believe the water and electricity is in the house owners name and they wont want to change that, the rental agreement is in my name, though. Could this be a problem for me?

Thanks guys.

@Mobi - About those utility bills, I have none in my name, the internet is in my wife's name with my surname that she has taken. I believe the water and electricity is in the house owners name and they wont want to change that, the rental agreement is in my name, though. Could this be a problem for me?

As you will be providing proof that you are married, I see no harm in showing any utility bill you have in your wife's name, especially as she has taken your surname. The rental agreement in your name is a plus because they want to see proof that you are living here on a permanent basis.

The list I posted is a general guide - it is not definitive. Just do the best you can. Photographs and other documents that prove you have a genuine, long term relationship/marriage are important.

To summarise, they need to know:

1. You have a genuine relationship.

2 That you have sufficient money to cover your trip. plus any emergencies.

3. That you and your wife are resident in Thailand and do not intend to overstay in the UK.

A document or two can be easily fabricated, which is why they ask for a great number, to reduce the possibility of ill intent.

Good luck

Obviously, if sponsor and applicant are living together then they are not going to have evidence of communicating such as SKYPE records, emails, phone bills etc. The ECOs know this.

Evidence of the relationship is more important when sponsor and applicant are not married and the sponsor lives in the UK and the applicant lives in Thailand.

You are married and you do live in Thailand with her; so in your situation I'd provide your marriage certificate with a certified English translation, the evidence of living together you mention above and a copy of your passport to show your immigration status in Thailand.

In addition to the list posted by Mobi, here is the UKVI Visitor: supporting documents guide.

Yes, 100% she can go through the EU line with you. (hope the weather improves for your trip, its horrible here right now!)

I would not be so definite.

Before they got their British passports, my wife and step daughter always came through the EU line with me, except on their first entry.

But this was with settlement visas then ILR, not visit visas.

It was also made clear to us on one occasion that this was a courtesy, not a right.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that this is more likely to be allowed at Heathrow than a regional airport.

I know of at least one instance at Manchester where the Thai wife of a British citizen tried to enter with her husband via the EU queue but was sent to the back to the non EU queue by the IO on the EU desk.

My advise is that the Thai passport holder joins the non EU queue while the EU (British) one goes to the EU queue and asks. Calling the Thai one over if the IO says it's ok, joining them in the non EU queue if they refuse.

Even if they are allowed in via the EU queue, it wont stop the IO from questioning them and/or examining documents if they decide to do so.

Never had a Problem with going through the EU line which we have done many many times

In my experience it would appear, at LHR at least, that you obviously have to be married to join the EU queue and have to be together to approach the desk, irrespective of type of visa.

That said, join the shortest queue. Occasionally, the non-EU queue is just a few minutes wait if you arrive at a convenient time.

It was a joy to go through ePassport gates at T2 two weeks ago with my wife for the first time on disembarking international flight from BKK. Arrived at luggage carousel and baggage was out in two or three minutes. I don't miss the old days.

There's no actual right to use the EU lane, the Border Force do have a policy of not splitting families who are travelling together, it does make it easier for the Border Force Officer if all family members travelling together are seen together, but that could be done in either line.

As wooloomooloo says join the shortest queue, whilst we normally go through the EU desk, approaching the officer with "we're travelling together", and have never had an issue, we flew into Gatwick on full A380 from Dubai the day after Easter, the EU line was heaving and we walked straight to an officer at a non EU desk.

• Like 1

@Mobi - what questions did the IO ask you? Would you mind providing some details of your applications eg what funds and docs you showed?

The questions were of a general nature about the purpose of our trip, where we were staying, where we would visit etc. and about our life in Thailand together.

I attach a copy of a list of visa requirements that I obtained from an agent a few years back. I think it is pretty comprehensive.

attachicon.gifVisa list page 1.jpg

attachicon.gifVisa list page 2.jpg

The last point in the Agent's list (page 2) is interesting. "Your partner will need to show 30,000 in there (sic) bank".

This is a new one on me, as I didn't think there was any requirement for the applicant to have finances if the trip was being sponsored?

It's wrong, brewsterbudgen.

As you say, there is no need for the applicant to have any money in their bank if someone else is paying for the trip.

Although having some can help show their stability in Thailand; it's not essential. Though if the applicant works and is paid by credit transfer, their bank statements showing their salary being paid in should be supplied as proof of their employment.

Sponsor's should certainly avoid transferring such an amount into the applicant's bank prior to submitting an application; doing so will only arouse the ECOs suspicions about where the money came from and why.

Other things on that list are also not required; sponsor's parent's passports, utility bills for example.

I'd also avoid evidence of contact dating right back to the beginning of the relationship, the last 6 months, 12 max, should be sufficient.

Ditto for photos, if used a couple of dozen at most.

Although you do need to provide sufficient evidence to show the criteria are met, the more extraneous bits of paper the ECO has to wade through, the more likely it is that they will miss something important.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Just looking at the 'sponsorship undertaking' SU07/12 form online now and Im a bit confused and worried about this part:

'Note 1: The sponsor should provide evidence that he/she lives at the address given above...' And then it lists the documents they accept.

I will be the sponsor but we will stay at my fathers house in the UK with an invitation letter from him. I guess that means I should put down my address of the house I rent in Bangkok then? I have no official document for this address that has my name on it only the rental contract, what should I do?

Just looking at the 'sponsorship undertaking' SU07/12 form online now and Im a bit confused and worried about this part:

That form isn't needed for the standard visit visa.

If you read the form it states "I hereby undertake that, if the sponsored person named above is granted leave to enter the UK on a permanent basis, I shall be responsible for his/her maintenance, accommodation and care in the UK for a period of five years from the date of their entry to the UK. I am further aware that the sponsored individual will have no recourse to public funds for five years from the date of their entry to the UK."

It's not even required for a regular Settlement Visa.