Bike Stand causes crash in South Pattaya

webfact

Bike Stand causes crash in South Pattaya

bike-41.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Late on Sunday Night a 37 year old motorbike driver was injured after his bike fell onto the road following an overtaking maneuver. The crash is believed to have been caused by the extended bike stand coming into contact with the road.

Police and medics rushed to the scene of the crash on the Thappraya Road in South Pattaya and assisted Khun Nopparat, who sustained facial injuries. It was noted by Police that the driver was not wearing a safety helmet at the time of the crash.

Investigations revealed that the bike driver had attempted to overtake a slower-moving car and when he went to cut in front of the car he fell off his bike and onto the road. The car was forced to break heavily to avoid running over the bike driver.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/197206/bike-stand-causes-crash-in-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-05-26

Extended bike stand?

What's that all about, why would you need one of them?

I think it could be for the lazy people who need to park 1 meter away from the pavement / sidewalk. An extended stand could prevent others from parking in the way of your motorcycle so its very easy for you just to walk up , kick up the stand and ride away. Shame they fail really 555

simple , his kick stand was down, this can not happen on a Honda as bike wont sart with the stand down...

Aha! A logical well reasoned comment on TVN, don't see many of them on subjects like this.

Yes, it meant the bike stand remained extended in its parking position when it should have been retracted into its riding position before riding off, it did not mean the stand had been lengthened??

That is one good thing about Hondas , and a bloody good thing too. I on many occasions years ago had a Suzuki and was constantly forgetting to put the stand up , and yes caused me to have a few wobbly moments and on 1 occasion a smash too.

simple , his kick stand was down, this can not happen on a Honda as bike wont sart with the stand down...

Aha! A logical well reasoned comment on TVN, don't see many of them on subjects like this.

Yes, it meant the bike stand remained extended in its parking position when it should have been retracted into its riding position before riding off, it did not mean the stand had been lengthened??

That is one good thing about Hondas , and a bloody good thing too. I on many occasions years ago had a Suzuki and was constantly forgetting to put the stand up , and yes caused me to have a few wobbly moments and on 1 occasion a smash too.

I think that most scooter-models do have this security feature, but as with most security features.........they'll be disabled

That's why I never buy a bike that doesn't have an engine shut-off switch connected to the bike stand. If the kick-stand is not up the bike will not start. Why all bikes are not built like this or even mandated by Thailand to be built like this I'll never know (safety, Thailand, cheesy.gif). It's such an easy and obvious safety feature.

It's very easy to forget to put the kickstand up. On the few bikes I rented when I first came here I did it many times and I always thought it would be the last time I forgot, but it never was.

speaking from experience and yes honda's do have a side stand switch...this person I would say has left the sidestand down and when he overtook the vehicle in front merged back into the lane showing off and cranking over the bike causing the side stand to lift the rear wheel ...I have been a motorcycle tech for many years and know all the problems ...I could say (been there done that and seen the lot)

The bike in the photo is a Yamaha Fino and the side stand does indeed appear to be in the 'extended' position.

DM

Indeed, Yamaha Fino, an automatic.

We have two Honda automatic and both can not be started with sidestand down (except manipulated/defect).

Do you know whether the Fino has this feature (delivery status)?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Incorrect.

My Honda bike does not have a kickstand sensor and starts with the kickside down.

coffee1.gif

The bike in the photo is a Yamaha Fino and the side stand does indeed appear to be in the 'extended' position.

DM

We have two Honda automatic and both can not be started with sidestand down (except manipulated/defect).

Not sure about the Fino, but my Yamaha Mio cannot be started with the stand down.

Remember that many Thai boys/men/children do seriously stupid stuff to their scooters to show off their level of intelligence.

Removing the lights. Painting the front light red. changing the rear light to white. Removing the mirrors. Removing everything but the outer shell of the exhaust muffler so they have no torque but can ride at full noise.

Perhaps it's the same reason why they remove seatbelts from taxis, buses and minivans, they do it for safety, apparently it brings bad luck and causes accidents to happen just by its presence.

this is the level of intelligence that people are dealing with.

coffee1.gif

I and my GF wintessed this incident. We were at the other side of the road coming out of the 24 hour supermarket car park and I could not understand why this bike went down hard on its own ?

Now i know why. It took fifteen mins for the rescue people to turn up - not bad i suppose.

The rider was lucky he was not at full speed and also his head missed the concrete central reservation.

These clowns on motorbikes that do the zipping in and out at full speed have short life spans. Sadly they have no consideration for what might happen behind them. And it is not just locals -I see lots of idiot foreigners doing this as well.

I and my GF wintessed this incident. We were at the other side of the road coming out of the 24 hour supermarket car park and I could not understand why this bike went down hard on its own ?

Now i know why. It took fifteen mins for the rescue people to turn up - not bad i suppose.

The rider was lucky he was not at full speed and also his head missed the concrete central reservation.

These clowns on motorbikes that do the zipping in and out at full speed have short life spans. Sadly they have no consideration for what might happen behind them. And it is not just locals -I see lots of idiot foreigners doing this as well.

Sukhimvhit is one long race track mate, it seems people feel the need to win by getting past you at all costs.

DM

My girlfriend has a Fino automatic and it can be started with the kick-stand down.

Yeah its a yamaha. I used to have one and would forget to put up the stand sometimes. Honda is smart and can't start with it down. Why would Yamaha take so many years and possible lived to add this feature. Yamaha sucks.

Sukhimvhit is one long race track mate, it seems people feel the need to win by getting past you at all costs.

Don't forget their need to then gloat. crazy.gif

Pitiful people.

coffee1.gif