Thai temple tax gets opposition from abbots

webfact

Temple tax gets opposition from abbots

26-5-2558-15-42-15-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A new round of mass protest is expected from temples across the country after the National Reform Council's (NRC) Buddhism protection committee proposed taxing temple and monks and the proposal won acknowledgement from the cabinet last week.

The reform proposal is now in the hands of the National Office of Buddhism for consideration within a month or by June 12, and to return to the cabinet again for final approval before forwarding to the NRC.

Under the proposed reform, monk earning income of over 20,000 baht a month, temple renting spaces in the temple compound for commercial purposes, must be subject to taxation.

Moreover it also proposes the auditing of temple’s assets, the penalties for monks committing violation, and the shortening of tenure of abbot to only five years, instead of lifetime tenure.

In reaction to the proposals, Phra Khru Suthivajirasarn, abbot of Wat Sadet in Kamphaengpet, voiced opposition to the proposals, reasoning that rich temples are mostly in major cities or towns, while many temples in rural areas still could not afford water and electricity bills.

It was therefore inappropriate to tax temple and monks.

He said major income of rural temples are mostly derived from selling amulets and from donations which are hardly sufficient to take care of 36 monks at a temple which has pay water and power bills monthly.

This prompted the people to hold “Katin” merit making ceremonies once in a year to raise fund for the temples, he said.

Funds raised from “Katin” were not much when compared with well-known temples.

On the proposed tax on monk earning more than 20,000 baht a month, the abbot also disagreed, reasoning that each a temple will have religious activities 4-5 times a month, and monk will receive 300-400 baht a time.

If tax is to be levied on monks, he could predict fewer people to ordain to Buddhism.

He also said a proposal to shorten the tenure of an abbot to five years is also impossible as it could wreck the faith of Buddhists the abbot who remain faithful to abbots staying in long tenures.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/temple-tax-gets-opposition-from-abbots

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-26

>>In reaction to the proposals, Phra Khru Suthivajirasarn, abbot of Wat Sadet in Kamphaengpet, voiced opposition to the proposals, reasoning that rich temples are mostly in major cities or towns, while many temples in rural areas still could not afford water and electricity bills.<< Quote

That the richer temples (and some of them are stinking rich) could help their less fortunate brothers is of course unthinkable??

A lot of abbots are using the monks as free labour for their various business projects!!

Thai Buddhism has completely lost touch with Lord Buddha's teachings!!

"Under the proposed reform, monk earning income of over 20,000 baht a month, temple renting spaces in the temple compound for commercial purposes, must be subject to taxation.

Moreover it also proposes the auditing of temple’s assets, the penalties for monks committing violation, and the shortening of tenure of abbot to only five years, instead of lifetime tenure."

All sounds good to me.

Monks earning 20,000 THB or more will be taxed,I thought Buddhism frowned upon

monks having anything to do with money, and how do they earn it,as I though all

donations and food were to be handed over to the temple.

Buddhism seems to have moved completely away from the teachings of Buddha,

where money,black magic,fortune telling,Disneyland temples,have taken over.

regards worgeordie

Monks earning 20,000 THB or more will be taxed,I thought Buddhism frowned upon

monks having anything to do with money, and how do they earn it,as I though all

donations and food were to be handed over to the temple.

Buddhism seems to have moved completely away from the teachings of Buddha,

where money,black magic,fortune telling,Disneyland temples,have taken over.

regards worgeordie

"I thought Buddhism frowned upon monks having anything to do with money"

Should tell that to the monk I saw in Pantip Plaza the other week, after thumbing threw the catalogues of CD covers he went and used a ATM.

Given they have free food and lodgings I would have thought 2,000B to be more appropriate amount for their tax free limit, also given the many commercially orientated ventures of many temples they all should have their books audited annually.

Tough times for these folk. First nosy buggers start looking into their money laundering schemes, then they try to take their sideshow money making tigers away from them and then one "accidentally" mauls the abbot and now taxes! What next? Accountability?

I know a very nice monk who's my mother in law's cousin. We don't speak the same language but we get on fine but I still don't know what monks do. What is their purpose or rather what should it be? I know some help with education and I'm lead to believe that if they get a lot of food some of given to people who need it although I've never seen this. I've heard they "do things for Buddha" but I wouldn't think he needs much seeing he died some time ago and achieved a status that would mean he needs nothing. Surely they should be passing on the concepts of Buddhism. Maybe just teach the 5 precepts and point out they are things such as NOT harming things, NOT getting drunk and NOT lying or stealing. There seems to be some confusion there from what I see. All I see is monks receiving things.

Why tax a religion, most countries do not tax religious organisations, even the big money churches such as the Scientology Church.

Why not?

BTW only major religions are tax exempt. My attempt to declare my house a temple to the Great Bunyip, and hence ineligible to pay rates, was refused out of hand.Meanwhile the catholic and C of E churches, manses, halls, etc all sit on prime real estate and pay SFA.

A couple of thousand years ago, so we are led to believe, a man in Jerusalem kicked out people from the temples.

Where is this chap today?

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

Matthew 21:12–13 Wikipedia.
I am not of the Christian faith although I was born in a Christian country. Thai temples have turned Siddhartha Gautama's teachings upside down.
No wonder Henry VIII dissolved the Catholic monasteries and abbeys over 500 years ago in England. Granted, the Vatican continues the business of religion in the world today. Religion = big business.
Greed, pure and simple. Just like Thai temples, commercial operations with a facade of piety

I think taxing temples is a very good idea....that will never take off.

First, a monk refuses to testify in a money laundering scandal that is, of course, quietly going away. Then, angry monk's blocked authorities from inspecting the tiger temple.

Now threats of mass protests, when no one else is allowed to protest.

I think taxing temples is a very good idea....that will never take off.

First, a monk refuses to testify in a money laundering scandal that is, of course, quietly going away. Then, angry monk's blocked authorities from inspecting the tiger temple.

Now threats of mass protests, when no one else is allowed to protest.

Must make you happy that both yellow and red monks can protest biggrin.png

He said major income of rural temples are mostly derived from selling amulets and from donations which are hardly sufficient to take care of 36 monks at a temple which has pay water and power bills monthly.

Perhaps some of the 36 monks should be returned to the real world where they can get jobs and money to look after those that remain at the temple.

All this crap about poor temples is a red herring. Its quite easy to make an tax exempt amount so poor temples don't have to pay tax.

Also tax is paid on the surplus of money (profit) not before cost so talking about now not being able to pay for water and power is crap because tax will be levied after those expenses.

I can't believe how stupid some people are probably never took accounting at school

The Thai Buddhist many not be perfect but if all you tax lusters

want to make sure they stray even farther from Buddhism

then by all means tax the hell out of them....

So what you are saying, is if the government tax them, they would have to steal more??

Makes sense...........