12 years today, thanks to AA

Congratulations! For me almost 3 years without AA. I have deep respect for all those people who could quit. Your reference to the "switch" is exactly how I felt it. Born without a dimmer. Same for smoking which I quit long time ago..the biggest problem I have is that there are no alternatives to alcoholic drinks besides orange juice and a coke.

its not a problem,

as you are able to stop when you want,

A birthday with Coke ? thanks !

a fine steak with a coke ? than better no steak !

When have t drive, why not a coke !

You did what needed to be done and took the decision with great strength of character. Respects.

I'm 1 year on the wagon, but it was heart trouble that brought me to my senses. Before that I thought I was able to cope with drinking. What a crock of self-delusion. Since quitting, life just continues to get better. (I won't bore you with the details.)

Best to all.

Thanks and great stuff. Doesn't matter why we did it - just that we did it. My motivation was in part based on a significant, irregular heartbeat which went after about two years' sobriety. So keep it going and good luck.

Congratulations to both of you, I can imagine it was never easy to take the decision and to continue into that path.

I have never drank myself. I was a bartender in a discotheque in a crucial period of my life when I was young.

And saw the destruction Alcohol could bring at a that early age. So I decided it was better for me to avoid every kind of Alcohol.

Had a friend that almost killed himself. He went to the AA just on time. to save his life and it has been a +/- 20 Y now. Had another friend who had a wonderful successfully business on Koh Samui. <deleted> up everything by drinking uncontrollably....

Best of luck to everyone quitting and keeping it up.....

If you attend AA and it doesn't work for you, and it doesn't work for everyone, that doesn't mean there aren't other paths that can help you. I am sure many AA members will know them.

Well done Gerry and many congratulations from the bottom of my heart.

I think myself that Alcoholism is very often hereditary and the gene may have been passed on to you from one of your parents or even further back. Makes no difference what-so-ever as you already know. When you have the disease it matters little how you got it...but rather....what is one going to do about it. I only mention it because when I first started on the road to recovery almost all around me had a lot of Alcoholism in their families...yet I knew of nobody in mine and wondered how I got it, I felt like the "odd" man out and it lead to having some doubts.

About 8 years ago I went to visit an Uncle I hadn't met for over 40 years and he had heard all about my travesties down through the years. In the course of our conversation he was absolutely bowled over to learn that I was not aware that his Father was not my real Grandfather (which I had always believed). This Uncle was my Mother's brother but they had two different fathers. My Mother was the eldest of 7 children and about 6 months after she was born her Father died of Alcoholism at the age of 28.....her Mother married again and her new husband fathered the other six children.

May you have many many great years of sobriety ahead of you Gerry and God Bless your family.

Myself, I spent 30 years trying to get sober before I eventually did and I too will be celebrating 14 years this coming October. It was too late for me however to hold onto my own family but stories like yours (Re: the family) give me all the joy I could possibly have as if they were my own.

Before I read all the posts I want to congratulate you on your 12 years. As you say it is not always a bed of roses. But today you have the tools to cope with problems. There are many people who are not alcoholic that do snot have the tools we do and suffer for lack of them.

I understand that it can be hard not having a meeting handy at all times. Where I came from people thought they were going a great distance if they had to go 4 miles. Hopefully the day will come when the Thais can get a hold of AA and there will be many more meetings. Not in my life time but hopefully some day.

Well done. Buy your self a little cake and put a candle on it and you and the family have a wonderful time.

I am looking forward to Saturday night. A friend from quite a distance is coming in to town and we are going out to a nice diner to celebrate his 4 years. He like you is far far away from meetings 5 hours on the road.

Congratulations on your journey.

Yes I very much like that statement. It is a journey not a destination. Mine has been awesome two wife's and with my third one a Thai. The best one yet. The second one we get along great if we ever see each other. It was a very peaceful separation. We lived together in peace and harmony 3 months after the decision giving her time to find a place. We talked it over and came to an agreeable buy out cost for the house and she left with a pocket full of money. We both realized we had nothing left in common other than being sober. The first one was a drunken mistake on my part. We should have been friends. Today she is my best friend. AA gave us a chance to set things rite.

Just managed 5 days .thought that was good?

You may not understand it but you are the most important person here. We all were where you are and there was always somebody to stick their hand out to help us.

Congratulations & well done, please keep up the good work. Believe me its worth it.

This year I will celebrate 35 years of total sobriety, thanks to AA and all the members that helped this very very sick Alcoholic.

It has been a wonderful journey with all of these years of freedom.

BUT! I am still only "One drink" from being a drunken bum again and never want to go back to that life of hell.

coffee1.gif

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

A lot of good posts today, reminding us that we are one drink away from flipping that switch from sober to out of control

I have been sober since 1991. In Thai culture there is not much concern about the dangers of excessive drinking. So it is easy to fall - when you are in slippery places, and happy friends tell you "just one drink won't kill you".

I WIll be going back to Thailand next month, to join my g/f. I will keep in mind that I have much to lose, and help in the form of AA meetings is nearby.

Good work - I quit without AA - but I was just a binge drinker - which may be one of 50 shades of alcoholism for all I F'king know

Now about those dry drunk issues?coffee1.gif

Those are called personality disorders, and we all have them in spadeswhistling.gif

carry on with the good work

Hi Gerry,

I wanted to add that I did go to AA for 7 months in 2002, and got a good lesson or three.

One of them was that keeping that "good buzz" is like trying to hold quicksilver in your hands - you can't!

I got up to 7 months at AA and went and had 3 pints - my sponsor said " Start again at Day 1.."

I had a stressful job, and started self-medicating again, 4-5 times a week, around 8 beer a session.

I tapered down over the years, and finally quit 18 months ago

It's the best thing I we ever didwai2.gif

Even though I don't use AA, I go one day at a time - for everything!

Hi Gerry,

I wanted to add that I did go to AA for 7 months in 2002, and got a good lesson or three.

One of them was that keeping that "good buzz" is like trying to hold quicksilver in your hands - you can't!

I got up to 7 months at AA and went and had 3 pints - my sponsor said " Start again at Day 1.."

I had a stressful job, and started self-medicating again, 4-5 times a week, around 8 beer a session.

Why don't you use AA? You said you learned from them. To me it is foolish to turn down some free treatment.

Good work - I quit without AA - but I was just a binge drinker - which may be one of 50 shades of alcoholism for all I F'king know

Now about those dry drunk issues?coffee1.gif

Those are called personality disorders, and we all have them in spadeswhistling.gif

carry on with the good work

There is a huge difference between an alcohol abuser and an alcohol dependent(alcoholic).

An alcohol abuser saying he quit without AA is like a diabetic saying he gave up sweets without the help of OA.

An abuser can give up using willpower as he doesn't have the disease of alcoholism whereas an alcoholic can't

Hi Gerry,

Why don't you use AA? You said you learned from them. To me it is foolish to turn down some free treatment.

To reply to your query: I have no need of AA, but I would never denigrate AA in any way shape or form.

I did learn a lot at AA, and have read the original big book and the newer version. As mentioned, I was a binge drinker - I am not sure if that qualifies me as alcoholic, but the fact that I've had no urges for over a year implies something, of what I am not certain..

Best

Hi Gerry,

To reply to your query: I have no need of AA, but I would never denigrate AA in any way shape or form.

I did learn a lot at AA, and have read the original big book and the newer version. As mentioned, I was a binge drinker - I am not sure if that qualifies me as alcoholic, but the fact that I've had no urges for over a year implies something, of what I am not certain..

Best

I believe that finding out if ou are an alcoholic or not is quite simple. Take one drink at say 9am and have another at 3pm and one at 10pm. If you can do this, you are not an alcoholic period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Gerry. thanks for letting us know that you've made it. Never look back. Cheers-wai2.gif

Thx LiIsaan ... it's a journey as I said earlier. I'm not sure I've made it yet but I'm still sober today. And it's been a good year for me personally. I feel as if I have grown a little in the sense of being more comfortable in my own skin. In this respect, it doesn't ever seem to stop.

Hi Gerry,

Best

I believe that finding out if ou are an alcoholic or not is quite simple. Take one drink at say 9am and have another at 3pm and one at 10pm. If you can do this, you are not an alcoholic period.

Yes, the very definition of an alcoholic is someone who has lost the power of choice in drinking. An alcoholic couldn't do this. A very good test in my opinion. However, the potential alcoholic might manage it. I my opinion, AA was much stronger when potential alcoholics were not members. In order to be eternally grateful and willing to go to any lengths to recover and hep others one must go to the depths of hell.

Best

Yes, the very definition of an alcoholic is someone who has lost the power of choice in drinking. An alcoholic couldn't do this. A very good test in my opinion. However, the potential alcoholic might manage it. I my opinion, AA was much stronger when potential alcoholics were not members. In order to be eternally grateful and willing to go to any lengths to recover and hep others one must go to the depths of hell.

Yes the big book says in Chapter 3 Many of us could have stopped early in are career. But who wishes to be honest about it. Or words to that effect. Today it is far more socially acceptable than when the Big Book was written.

• 1 month later...

Archived