Renting a minivan (toyota 12 seater) without driver.

Is it possible or do I need some kind of special licence?

I would need to get transportation for about 12 persons for about a week. I could rent a minivan with a driver but with the extra cost, the accommodation for the driver to provide, and one less place in the vehicle, I figure everything would be easier if I could drive my family by myself.

You can drive a Toyota Commuter with a normal car license. I have rented them in the past from Avis, Sixt etc. If you are not familiar with driving a van, be careful with low car parks and the forward driving position.

I occasionally drive the vans (Toyota commuter) my MIL has and have never been stopped. Never more than 3 people in it, usually alone.

It is illegal for you to drive other people in a van for money. I know you aren't doing this , but if a money hungry cop sees an opportunity.

It is good though how loads of people get right out your way though when they see a van coming.

Licence wise yes you can, there is a picture of the van on your licence ( a 5 year one anyway not sure about a 1 year one).

Go with a reputable company. Not sure what company my friend used, but the front suspension on one side collapsed on the motorway resulting in a crash.

You can drive a Toyota Commuter with a normal car license. I have rented them in the past from Avis, Sixt etc. If you are not familiar with driving a van, be careful with low car parks and the forward driving position.

Narrow sois and reverse parking as well.

Budget Car rental at most Thai airports is a good bet. They and other good rental companies usually have well-maintained and low mileage vehicles. Don't be tempted to go for the rent-a-heap sector if you value the safety of yourself and 11 passengers. I find the Toyota commuter van pretty easy to drive, but its worth a bit of practice alone if it's your first van rental

Phone any Budget Rent-a-Car outlet and allow them a few days to make sure they have one available for you.

Understand also that these vans have a Manual Shit (NOT automatic) !

I rented one in Pattaya (Budget) and really enjoyed driving it.

The ONLY problem I had was that the Air-conditioning for the passengers was not working. This made it a bit warm for all.

Upon my return to Budget, I mentioned this and then the representative showed me a tiny little switch (sort of half under the dashboard) which had to be switched to the 'ON" position, after-which the aircon. was working just great . . . . . . . of course, by this time I had already turned-in this vehicle . . . . .

Stupid me !

biggrin.png