Will My Dog Like Thailand?

Weho

I'm considering moving to Thailand. My dog is used to cool dry weather. What should I expect when we make the change to the hot humid weather of Thailand? Do people with pets use the air conditioning 24 hours a day? Do people "walk" their dogs in Thailand? Do dogs eventually get used to the weather? Any help appreciated! Thanks, Jim

weho

[email protected]

I'm considering moving to Thailand.  My dog is used to cool dry weather.  What should I expect when we make the change to the hot humid weather of Thailand?  Do people with pets use the air conditioning 24 hours a day?

The house in front of mine, there is a family with quite a few Saint Bernard dogs.

In summer time, starting now, every day, a pick up truck comes to the house with "tons" of ice that they put in the kennel in order for the dogs to stay "cold".

Your dog will love the she dogs that are avalible,go to any soi(street corner)latest I heard was B20 LT.

If you don't know what LT is why don't you start a new thread and ask.

P.S How much will it cost to bring your dog from noddy land.

P.S.S Pattaya is full at the moment

bartender...you are mistaken when you say 20 baht for LT...I saw a yellow mongrel in a dirty raincoat shouting 'haa baht...haa baht' (sounded sorta like 'bow wow' but I couldn't say for sure...)...

every species has their price in Pattaya....

i think i've had her already :o

bartender...you are mistaken when you say 20 baht for LT...I saw a yellow mongrel in a dirty raincoat shouting 'haa baht...haa baht' (sounded sorta like 'bow wow' but I couldn't say for sure...)...

every species has their price in Pattaya....

i think i've had her already :o

The new four letter word is N E X T :D

> Do people with pets use the air conditioning 24 hours a day?

For Chrissakes.. it's a dog! Of course it gets used to any kind of weather!

> Do people "walk" their dogs in Thailand?

I do, in urban areas anyway. Mostly because the bitch is so stupid as to run across roads and get under a truck or whatever. On weekends I usually bring the dog wherever I go, and just let her run around some waterfall, swim, etc. She enjoys that.

It's a Golden Retriever who wouldn't retrieve anything even if her life depended on it. She likes eating spaghetti though, being a 'farang' dog. My girlfriend jokingly threatens the dog to take and release it at a church (rather than a temple), again being a Farang dog.. :o

She stays outside the house, not inside. No problems, she eats absolutely anything, crunches bones, etc.

Anyway, heat is not a problem.. But my girlfriend dressed the dog up in clothes when the temperature drops below 18 degrees in the winter!! :D I think people should stop applying their own standards to dogs. They're basically on a level with rats; they'll survive anything.

Cheers,

Chanchao

My dog is used to cool dry weather. What should I expect when we make the change to the hot humid weather of Thailand?

You should expect a hot humid dog of course!

What else would you expect?

Of course people walk their bloody dogs in Thailand.

Any more stupid questions?

Did you just wake up this morning and decide to move to Thailand, and then, after breakfast, thought... "I wonder what Thailand's like..... darling, where's Thailand?"

Judging by your other posts you really don't have a scooby doo.

Sorry if you find me rather abrasive, but that's just me. :o

Contact the Thai Embassy in your country to find out about any extra vaccinations that your dog will need. There is a lot of dystemper & rabies in most of thailand as well as a lot of worms, some of them fatal to a "farang" dog. i.e. one not born & raised in LOS.

As for the weather, it all depends on your dogs breed, I had 2 short haired mongrels who were born & lived for 3 years in Koh Samui who had no problem with the heat & humidity but when we moved them up to Khon Kaen (Issan) in January they lost a lot of weight & got really sick with runny noses & bad coughs!as it was very cold & they weren't used to that kind of temp drop. They survived it though & I didn't take them to the vets as they needed to build up thier resistance naturally, as it gets a ###### of a lot colder than that. Generally dogs are sturdy creatures & unless you have a small, delicate breed, they should be fine. If it's too hot, make sure they have ample shade & lots of cool icy water & give them a shower down with cold water every so often.

What kind of dog do you have?

At least the import of Rottweilers and Pitbulls is forbidden.

And be careful with them here, if neighbours don't like them it is likely yhey will end up poisoned!!!

My dog is a chow/shepard mix, very sturdy, but long thick hair... i would guess his fur would have to be shaved down a bit. Also, if anyone is still reading, when renting a condo or a house, is it difficult to find one for rent that will accept a dog?

If we ever decide to retire in Thailand we will be bringing two Boxers. Living in the desert now, I have to walk them in early morning or late evening in the summer. Presumably it would be tha same in the tropics.

Lofu2

I was never asked about a dog when renting,but now we own so I really can't say and I have never lived a farang neighborhood.

As for the hair/fur , I would not cut it,it is not good because the hair is a good insulation for the dog,Just keep the mats and tangles out so it gets good air circulation

I'm sorry about your dog... and I'm not so sure it's as easy as "just walk the dog in the morning and evening"... in the tropics, it is hot and humid day and night. my dog is sturdy and healthy but it still has to be difficult for them to make the change.

Do any apartments or condos have special dog areas for walking, playing or resting?

Also, is it OK for farang dogs to drink Thai drinking water, or do most people give the dog bottled/purified water to drink? I hope these quesetions don't seem too silly.

i have a rottwieler, shitzu (the wifes) and a thai dog.

they all drink from the hose and spend most of the day outside (they have and need alot of shade)

my business partner has an old english mastiff (i also had one but it died from a snake bite)

these dogs were born and bred in thailand and are all very healthy.

i'm not sure how dogs from other countries would cope with the changes in climate etc.

I'm sorry about your dog... and I'm not so sure it's as easy as "just walk the dog in the morning and evening"... in the tropics, it is hot and humid day and night.  my dog is sturdy and healthy but it still has to be difficult for them to make the change. 

Do any apartments or condos have special dog areas for walking, playing or resting?

Also, is it OK for farang dogs to drink Thai drinking water, or do most people give the dog bottled/purified water to drink?  I hope these quesetions don't seem too silly.

Thailand is not that much into pets except for the wealthier class. Dogs in rural areas are kept for an alarm system more than anything else... :o

Sorry to disagree with you kevinn but I have a dog with thick, long hair (local too, mixed breed just unfortunate) and we clip her hair regularly. If we don't she overheats and also gets skin fungus from the dampness on her skin. She is much more active and clearly happier with shorter hair. Also, we have just had to have her on a course of antibiotics because the skin fungus caused a skin infection that would not clear up. So, best advice, if you MUST bring a long-haired dog to this country then you really need to keep its hair clipped short.

We live on the beach so our dogs run free within their well-defined territory, but if you live in the city then you will obviously need to walk your dog. They drink plain tap water, but I do keep their shots up to date and worm them regularly.

I have seen an Alaskan husky here as well as a St. Bernard and find this very cruel, these dogs were bred to live in cold/mountainous climates and are not suitable for this climate. They will not adapt as they have had generations of breeding to suit them their native climate.

And finally, in the country poison is a big problem, usually used on dogs whose owners do not carefully control their dog's behavior. Chicken killing and overly aggressive dogs will be killed. You must be aware of your dog's behavior in your neighborhood and not let it run wild.