Prayuth: Rohingya aid groups under scrutiny

webfact

Prayuth: Rohingya Aid Groups Under Scrutiny
By Khaosod English

14326447571432644790l.jpg
Ali Ahmad (center), a representative of Rohingya Association of Thailand, gives talk about the persecution of Rohingya people in Myanmar at an academic forum in Bangkok, 24 May 2015.

BANGKOK — Thai junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said authorities are investigating Rohingya rights advocates in Thailand to determine whether they are linked to human trafficking operations.

"The organizations that are involved in taking care of Rohingyas in Thailand, we are investigating how they are related to the operation, because people involved in human trafficking include Rohingyas," Gen. Prayuth said at the Government House today.

At least 300 migrants from the Bay of Bengal, many of whom are Rohingyas from Myanmar, have been intercepted by Thai police this month after authorities launched a crackdown on human smuggling networks in the south.

The Rohingya Association of Thailand and several other NGOs have been coordinating aid for the migrants who are now being held in shelter homes.

The groups have also lobbied for recognizing the stateless Rohingya as Burmese nationals. The Burmese government currently denies the Muslim minority citizenship, claiming that are Bengali immigrants despite the fact that many Rohingya have lived in Myanmar (Burma) for generations.

"I wonder whether these associations have been deliberately fanning the news right now, because the problem has been here for more than ten years," Gen. Prayuth said today. "We must completely trace how some of the news has emerged, and what the backgrounds of these associations are, whether they are legally registered. If they are, they have to obey Thai laws, since they are now in Thailand. We have to find clarity about this."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1432644757&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-27

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I wonder whether these associations have been deliberately fanning the news right now, because the problem has been here for more than ten years,"

The thing with fanning flames is no one notices until they catch.

Edited by Bluespunk

The best form of defence is supposedly attack which seems to be the PMs attitude to so much. Unfortunately it's the same attack mentality which was used, and failed, at the Somme.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Would the Thai police, Thai army, Thai navy and local Thai government officials allow Rohingya rights advocates or foreign NGO's to take a piece of their pie? I don't think so.

Edited by uty6543

Prayut orders check on Rohingya associations and foundations if they are involved in human trafficking

5-26-2015-10-43-08-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha today ordered authorities to probe into a possibility that Rohingya associations and foundations might be involved in the smuggling of Rohingya migrants.

The prime minister said he wanted checks to be made on these organizations in the country to see if any of them were connected to human trafficking operations.

He said authorities were also asked to determine if there were any political motives behind the trafficking operations as it would undermine the internal security of the country.

Gen Prayut also said that he was confident that the forthcoming meeting on the massive exodus of Rohingya and Bengali migrants in the Indian Ocean which will be held on May 29 will produce conclusive results on the required action to be taken.

He reiterated Thailand’s position that under no circumstance will refugee camps be allowed to be set up in the country.

Commenting on the scheduled meeting between 17 nations located along the Indian Ocean to be held on May 29 on the issue of the massive exodus of migrants that has exploded into a regional crisis, Gen Prayut said Thailand stands firm on it stance as a facilitating country for the refugees to transit to their final destinations.

Of critical importance will be the determination of aid and possible development programs for the originating countries so that in the long run, migrants will find it unnecessary to flee their home countries, he said.

In the meantime, a center for receiving funding and donations for third countries such as Malaysia and Indonesia who have stated that they would shelter the migrants will also be necessary, he said.

But he said the exact amount of funding that will be provided has yet to be determined .

However he said the amount must be adequate so as to not overburden the sheltering country’s national budgets.

The prime minister again remained adamant however, that Thailand will not set up a Rohingya refugee camp in the country.

Thailand has so far taken the initiative and has tasked the military to set up mobile floating aid centers aboard a number of naval vessels to provide humanitarian and medical aid as well as document Rohingya migrants believed to be still adrift in the Andaman Sea.

Thus far Thailand is the sole provider of humanitarian aid as well as other essentials such as fuel, drinking water and medicines in the Indian Ocean for the refugees.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-orders-check-on-rohingya-associations-and-foundations-if-they-are-involved-in-human-trafficking

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-27

So from his Message yesterday: about not saying anything negative about Thailand's role in Human trafficking. He immediately attacks the victims. There probably are a few Rohingya entrepreneurs involved in the trafficking but I doubt they were responsible for the Camps in Thailand and Malaysia that were there for years. I think they are trying to brainwash there own people , The rest of the world knows the truth. Thats why nothing changes , thye will not accept any responsibility or wrong doing of their own

On newsnow not one Thai newspaper has Mentioned the mass graves discovered inside Malaysia in Perlis(PB ) area.as a headline Yet nearly every other foreign newspaper carries the story. I went back three pages and could find anything , Strange

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News/Asia/Thailand?JavaScript=1&searchheadlines=&search=&Period=0&Page=1

Edited by ExPratt

Better check the military, police and immigration officers first, before going after humanitarian agencies. Bet none of the agency workers own a Mercedes, but sure seems a lot of Generals do!

Edited by jerojero

On newsnow not one Thai newspaper has Mentioned the mass graves discovered inside Malaysia in Perlis(PB ) area.as a headline Yet nearly every other foreign newspaper carries the story. I went back three pages and could find anything , Strange

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News/Asia/Thailand?JavaScript=1&searchheadlines=&search=&Period=0&Page=1

Standard information suppression tactics. Not surprised.

Better check the military, police and immigration officers first, before going after humanitarian agencies. Bet none of the agency workers own a Mercedes, but sure seems a lot of Generals do!

The ancient and dishonourable art of defection. Not sure it will work outside the country.

"I wonder whether these associations have been deliberately fanning the news right now, because the problem has been here for more than ten years," Gen. Prayuth said today. "We must completely trace how some of the news has emerged, and what the backgrounds of these associations are, whether they are legally registered. If they are, they have to obey Thai laws, since they are now in Thailand. We have to find clarity about this."

​So loosely translated ... These NGO's are causing deep embarrassment for Thailand diabolical human rights track record which could end up seeing the EU and US placing sanctions on Thailand which will inevitably damage the economy; that is on top of the money the police and other officials stand to lose now that human trafficking is in the media spotlight. The response is therefore to do everything we can to discredit the NGO's and imprison them if they don't have a valid work permit so as to further restrict their ability to uncover the truth.

Prayut is doing his country far more harm than any a journalist could make up. Simply print what he says word for word and the world will know what type of person he truly is.

Their second car used by the wife and the Mia noi has a top of the range Lexus ?

That is because it was the headline story in the Bangkok Post and Nation Newspaper 3 days ago. Headline: :Malaysia minister: Mass graves found". So you of course you won't find it in today's edition.

"I wonder whether these associations have been deliberately fanning the news right now, because the problem has been here for more than ten years,"

.....then why the f#ck didn't anyone in Government do anything about it until now?

Obiously, 'Fanning the flames' is exactly what is needed.

"I wonder whether these associations have been deliberately fanning the news right now, because the problem has been here for more than ten years,".
So if it has been known for ten years, why haven't anyone done something before?

Or it can be understood as: "we have been covering this up for 10 years and had a lucrative business, who couldn't keep his mouth shut and destroyed this scam?"

Please check facts before posting. It was the headline story in the Bangkok Post and Nation Newspaper 3 days ago. Headline: :Malaysia minister: Mass graves found". So you of course you won't find it in today's edition.

Whether he likes it or not, suppressing the domestic press is one thing, trying to do the same with the international press is another.

Obviously the General's advisers are poorly advised, either that or he doesn't listen. Insinuating the NGO's and HR organisations are (possibly) responsible for the camps etc etc is not going to play well with the outside world. For some reason it doesn't seem to bother him, and that is worrying.

"I wonder whether these associations have been deliberately fanning the news right now, because the problem has been here for more than ten years,".

So if it has been known for ten years, why haven't anyone done something before?

Or it can be understood as: "we have been covering this up for 10 years and had a lucrative business, who couldn't keep his mouth shut and destroyed this scam?"

In a nutshell, this is it. Nothing more to say.

Please check facts before posting. It was the headline story in the Bangkok Post and Nation Newspaper 3 days ago. Headline: :Malaysia minister: Mass graves found". So you of course you won't find it in today's edition.

Not on Newsnow it wasn't , I read the article in The Bangkok post on line Myself, it was covered far more in depth by foreign press,

What day was it because they a bit sluggish getting it out ?

Saturday Night in Malaysia first report, I right be wrong but first article i read here was yesterday in BKK post online. Newsnow has pretty much nothing from thai press

Edited by ExPratt

"Thus far Thailand is the sole provider of humanitarian aid as well as other essentials such as fuel, drinking water and medicines in the Indian Ocean for the refugees.

This is a blatant lie.The Indonesians & Malaysians have been doing this for much longer

and are also allowing the "refugees" to land on their shores & have been for quite some

time now.

Edited by sunshine51

Thought as they are all Muslim brothers and sisters Malaysia would take the lot, after all any attack on islam is an attack on them all, so they keep telling us , doe s not matter what country they come from.............maybe it only works one way