Water Pump Problems

ehs818

I have no experience with water pumps for a house, but mine has had two problems recently that no one I've asked seems to know about. The first is that the pump seems to be on, or idling constantly, yet no water is going anywhere. The second is something called short cycling and that was due to the pump having not been primed properly. Got the second one under partial control, but unsure why the first problem exists. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like someone to refer me to a competent technician or plumber who could address these concerns.... THANKS.post-14796-0-67832100-1432691854_thumb.jpost-14796-0-67832100-1432691854_thumb.j

As you say you solved the short cycle problem having hard time understanding how it can be on all the time as that other statement seems to say it goes on/off normally.

But if you mean it often seems to be on when no water is being used that is normally leakage and best checked with an on/off valve directly after the pump before going into house system. With that off pump should get to off-pressure state and stay there. To check for leaks first place would be toilet - turn off each if you have such ability - or take off tank cover and observe both there and bowl for any water inflow. Another place is plastic hose into a water filled wash tub tap leaking and you do not seen the slow drip as under water.

As for having someone check do not know Pattaya but any pump/tank selling shop will have contacts they can send to troubleshoot - most can solve simple problems.

A pump has a pressure tank at the base. this requires air to create the pressure to get the water out of the pump.

What happens is the pressure tank fills with water & there is no room for the air, (read pressure) to push out the water.

Drain the pressure tank & re prime the pump. This will fix the problem, it is a process that should be done every few months or as required.

Cheers

A pump has a pressure tank at the base. this requires air to create the pressure to get the water out of the pump.

What happens is the pressure tank fills with water & there is no room for the air, (read pressure) to push out the water.

Drain the pressure tank & re prime the pump. This will fix the problem, it is a process that should be done every few months or as required.

Cheers

How strange I've had my pump 3 years and have never had to touch it once in that time.

Cheers

Do you drain the tank just by removing the plate with 2 screws on the side?

The second is something called short cycling and that was due to the pump having not been primed properly. Got the second one under partial control, but unsure why the first problem exists.

I took this to mean that problem had been taken care of but now see the modifier. As said unplug and relieve pressure until no water flow - drain water from storage tank and re-prime - once this is done it operating properly it should automatically add air if no bladder - if good bladder it will keep air and water separate so air does not get absorbed into the water. In any case a modern pump should not require maintenance if operating properly.

P054.jpg

Just release the top filler slightly first, then release the bottom screw. Be careful of the top filler screw, they have a tendency to shoot for the sky.

Stoneyboy,

I dont touch mine either, had it for 6 years before a pressure tank leak.

We have apartments & they are a problem monthly.

The luck of the draw maybe.

Some of these air tanks have valves on them similar in size to a car tyre, in which case a small compressor or air tank can repressurise. You need to know the pressure required. It should be written on the info plate somewhere. Otherwise, as someone suggested ask at a pump shop, and they should be able to give you some numbers. It's a very common problem.

The pump has a solenoid pressure switch...on the opposite side of the photo you posted,

It has 2 or 3 wires going to the black box on top of the motor....Be careful as these are LIVE WIRES.

I've even had a brand new pump with a faulty switch.

The switch can easily be changed, and, (up here in Maha Sarakham) they are readily

available from any pump/hardware shop....round about 350 Baht ish

You can if you are lucky adjust them to change the kick in / kick out pressure by altering

The tiny screw that sits against the solenoid lever arm...you will see it has a dab of red paint on it.

If you need to buy a new switch, be sure its for the model of your pump as different models

operate at different pressures

Hope this helps and good luck.

Have a Nice Day.

Edited by firefox999uk