Thai Defense Minister: No coup if draft charter rejected

webfact

Defense Minister: No coup if draft charter rejected

BANGKOK, 27 May 2015 (NNT)- Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has insisted that there will be no military coup if the National Reform Council (NRC) does not accept the draft charter as rumored.

The Defense Minister said the meeting over the draft charter amendment to be held this Friday is only for the authorities to prepare for another public forum if the NRC rejects it.

According to him, nobody wants to see another coup staged in the nation, adding that it is only necessary for the military to step in when there is no other way out of the crisis caused by political gridlock.

He further reiterated that the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)’s roadmap would remain on track, given the government’s intention to restore peace, unity and democracy.

General Prawit also clarified to the media that he did not intend to stay in power and would continue to do his best until a new government was installed.

He encouraged Thais to express their opinions within the boundary of law. It has never been the government’s intention to forbid student gatherings or to harm any of them, he said, urging them to give the government time to solve the nation's chronic problems.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-27 footer_n.gif

And just who is going to going to try to make a coup against the former general p? What kind of stupidity is this article trying to lay claim to?

Trying to fool the public and the media into believing that the NRC is not a tool of the junta?

To replace a military installed junta with another military installed junta. When will this end. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Come, come, pathetic is a bit strong, it's simply "Thainess" ;)

To replace a military installed junta with another military installed junta. When will this end. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

still feel that this temporarely GVT - it is not the Junta !! which governs now !!

is better than any other corrupt by Thaksins or the other corrupt elite would govern;

still feel that this temporarely GVT - it is not the Junta !! which governs now !!

is better than any other corrupt by Thaksins or the other corrupt elite would govern;

Ain't we governed by the corrupt elite now.

I've really tried to understand what he is saying.

Unfortunately, I think he means that "It's possible people are concerned that if the draft charter is rejected, the army will simply take the view that they just carry on in government without a charter or anything for ever - I wish to inform you that is not the intention".

Just a guess. Otherwise this whole statement from him is either absurd, childlike or subtle threatening. Of course, it could have been messed up in translation.

Well, the powers that be have a problem. They want to be able to present the appearance of democracy, for some reason, but of course they don't want those dirty, stupid commoners to forget their proper place. The ideas put forward by the yellows were too obviously dictatorial. I haven't been following this latest discussion, but as the minister says, there's no need for another coup. As long as Article 44 is in place, whoever is the chairman of the NPOC has the last word on anything. General Prayut seems to be trying his best, but he has an impossible mission.

There was a coup against a coup before, in the 50s.

Heck, in 1971 (?) Field Marshal Thanom conducted a coup against HIS OWN government. I guess it was the only way he could reshuffle the cabinet. If I remember right it was in November, 1971, but I guess it might have been 1972. That was the time they took the guy who stabbed the U.S. Air Force Major to death in Kilosip, the Illegal City, and shot him in the stone quarry there. I think Thanom was trying to reassure the elites (and, I suppose, the U.S. govt.) that he was serious about "law and order." No peaceful demonstrations in those days, but a couple years later ...

Edited by Acharn

Not a chance : the first coup rightly met with popular support because everyone could see why it was necessary.

A second one now will not get the same response.

The first was a step forwards for the country. A second will be a huge step backwards.

So you don't think the elite are "helping" the Junta govern?