Vientiane -Udon Thani airport timing question

Hello,

Today I've applied for Thai visa in vientiane embassy and I'm suppose to pick it up tomorrow at 13:30.

the question is - I was thinking of booking today a flight with non air at 17:15 tomorrow. so considering traffic at that time in Vientiane and lines of waiting in the friendship bridge - will I make it in time for the flight(leaving Thai embassy at 14:00) or would it be better just to buy a ticket in the airport for one of the later flights?

thank you.

So many later flights available until very late

Book the 18:15h and give yourself some calm.

Or as you said: just go to the airport,

A regular Thursday, I would not expect 100% fully booked.

Just checked: the 18:15 is the most expensive flight, but just 100 Baht more (1114 starting price) than 17:15.

I would book this.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

@ubonjoe

Thank you,sir. I was one of the first few ones in the que today for the visa application today in the embassy - doesn't it mean I'll also be one of the first few ones to get the passport tomorrow? Or ia there another reason why I might be delayed?

Ok, so you have a reason to make it tight.

As said, you could try your luck and just drive to Udon without a booking.

To avoid confusion: the next flight with Nok AIr is not 18:15h but 18:35h.

I think I'll try my luck at the office and worst case I'll take the last flight at 21:50 which is 500 baht cheaper and spend the night in bkk.there's another Lompraya at 06:00.

Anyway,thanks a lot for helping :)

• Like 1

I managed to catch that flight quite easily but following on from a poster's earlier experience I arranged a taxi to take me from hotel to the consulate (where he was abbe to get me an earlier draw number), drove to laos side of border and while i potted around the duty free he got my passport stamped out returned my passport so i could purchase the DF then walked a few seconds to no-mans land into a Thai wheel-sided vehicle crossed over the bridge to Thai immigration (and if going by private transport there is a dedicated Thai immigration booth with no queue). Got out of car for photo and stamp back in, wind down window so Thai army lads could look in then straight to UT airport. was sipping a cold one by about 4pm. A seemless journey and thanks to Tomster for the taxi driver details. The total cost from hotel in Vientiane, drop and wait consulate and drive across the border direct to airport was 2k. If you have a limited time frame for connecting flights it might be an option for you. I have the drivers details so if you would like drop me a PM..

Thanks,gil,but it doesn't matter anymore since I've noticed on Nok air flght schedule that the 17:15 flight has been removed so the eariliest flight now is the 18:35 one which means I'll make it in time for sure for that one.

I wonder why Nok Air does these changes in the schedule and cancells flights one day before. Probably saving money issue.

If I recall correctly it is first come first served to pickup your passport.

No it isn't. They call you by the same numbers you had in the application queue on the day before. They also make everybody wait outside now and collect passports from the application windows instead of inside with air-con as they used to.

Re. Getting taxis straight to Udon from the Laos side of the border I was offered one at the border on my last two runs so I'd assume they are fairly easy to get - unless I've been extraordinarily lucky - 1k rather than 2k. I'm sure you could get them down to 8-900 baht but I can't be bothered to haggle for that amount.

Edited by eaglesflight