For Those Who Wish To Continue Doing Visa-run

I'm a male in his mid 30's....

I like to live in Thailand absolutely without working here, not doing any business....

I don't wish to marry....

I also don't want make any investment here....

I just want to live here with money coming from my investment overseas...

So, I think, my option is....going to Penang, obtaining a tourist visa (60 days), than renew it (+30 days)....than I will be able to do 3 visa runs....than again go to Penang again and re-enter Thailand on visa tourist...and so on...

Is it legal????

I like to live in Thailand absolutely without working here, not doing any business....

So, I think, my option is....going to Penang, obtaining a tourist visa (60 days), than renew it (+30 days)....than I will be able to do 3 visa runs....than again go to Penang again and re-enter Thailand on visa tourist...and so on...

Is it legal????

Nobody knows yet. If there is any logic behind the current crackdown then there will be a crackdown on tourist visas as well. But logic may have nothing to do with it. So far, the only information has come from one senior official of the immigration department, and the reporting of that was pretty garbled. At some point instructions to immigration posts (and Thai Embassies overseas) will have to be prepared. Only then will things become clear.

If you apply at a Thai consulate in your home country you may even qualify for a multiple-entry non-O visa. Give the consulate a call and explain your situation and they will tell you if you qualify and what documentation they require.

---------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

Is it legal????

As far as the current reading goes - yes, you will be fine because you will have a visa. This current 'crackdown' is aimed at people that don't have a visa, but who only have 30 days Leave to Remain in their passports.

Is it legal????

You should be OK.

Watch out for news from Penang, as to what the Consulate is willing to issue in the future.

My guess is they are going to be swamped in the next few weeks. :o

Is it legal????

As far as the current reading goes - yes, you will be fine because you will have a visa. This current 'crackdown' is aimed at people that don't have a visa, but who only have 30 days Leave to Remain in their passports.

None of the reports I have seen mention anything about 30 Day Leave to Remain in Thailand "chops", the articles all refer to VOA (Visa on Arrival), not the same thing at all.

I wish to thank you for your replies....very kind!!!!

So...I think no more problem....for those in my same "position" all we have to do is to go to a Thai embassy and get a tourist visa...than 3 visa run are allowed...than get visa again and so on...

just little bit more expensive than before but nevermind....it will be an occasion for touring....Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Penang, Kota Bharu, Singapore, Hong Kong...it will be funny!!!!

Now....please DON"T make a crackdown on tourist visa too!!!!!! :o:D:D

Is it legal????

None of the reports I have seen mention anything about 30 Day Leave to Remain in Thailand "chops", the articles all refer to VOA (Visa on Arrival), not the same thing at all.

Not at all - read my post here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=890215

The Bangkok Post article is badly written and contradicts itself. The Forbes article, however, contistently cites travellers without visas.

The citizens of the 41 countries it mentioned don't receive a 'Visa on Arrival'. I've never met anyone that has. They receive 30 days Leave to Remain. This is not the same as being issued with a visa.

So...I think no more problem....for those in my same "position" all we have to do is to go to a Thai embassy and get a tourist visa...than 3 visa run are allowed...than get visa again and so on...

just little bit more expensive than before but nevermind....it will be an occasion for touring....Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Penang, Kota Bharu, Singapore, Hong Kong...it will be funny!!!!

Dont mean to be negative here but simply realistic:ending visa runs-ending investor visa-MoE crackdown on teacher qual(no BA no permit)-what news will tomorrow bring? Seems to be an organized attempt to boot farang-crackdown on tourist visa...??? You seem to have money so you got someplace to go...you really want to live in a host country that obviously doesnt want you?

Well this is all a bit frustrating.

I am a writer and I work in countries neighbouring Thailand.

Therefore I do not qualify for a work permit but am considering a non-immigrant business visa, which I understand would give me the option to explore business opportunities in Thailand -- though I plan to continue to work outside of Thailand.

I understand the need to secure your borders but I think this is a bit extreme and punishes foreigners rather than the schools that are illegally hiring them.

Perhaps this will force schools to give work permits, which they should do, so that foreigners have some rights and legal status.

In short, I don't think it's such a bad idea as long as people are given the opportunity to get their visa situation in order and this doesn't turn into a xenophobic country.

I, like one gentleman said, stay in Thailand because it's fun, cheap, convenient and warm. I hope I am not forced to leave because a few "undesirable elements" are abusing lax immigration policies.

Dont mean to be negative here but simply realistic:ending visa runs-ending investor visa-MoE crackdown on teacher qual(no BA no permit)-what news will tomorrow bring? Seems to be an organized attempt to boot farang-crackdown on tourist visa...??? You seem to have money so you got someplace to go...you really want to live in a host country that obviously doesnt want you?

Well...It's seven years I live permanently in Thailand now...it's normal that I hope I can continue to stay here....obviously if there will be no legal way to do so I will quit this country.