Riding on the First Lane on a Big Bike.

I have just upgraded my PCX 150 to a Forza 300. My intention was to be able to use the first lane of a highway instead of the hard shoulder.

I now find out that the first lane is so often covered in patch ups and potholes, so I end up on the HS again.

I know that the big bike can handle this much better than a small one, if you are riding about 80 Kph, it can be too late to avoid them.

Anyone got any comment on this?

No matter what your bike size (even if it's a larger and capable scooter), Thai laws do not separate small bikes from big bikes so it's still the same - supposed to stay in the left lane.

Most of the (real) big bikers ignore this left lane nonsense anyway, however to stay in the right lane you have to be going faster than 80 kmh, remember, right lane is a passing lane and if you're there going 80 you have no business being in the right lane.

Regarding the potholes, don't now which roads you're riding but there's plenty highways in Thailand with very good surface.

Move into the middle or outside lane until road surface has improved in the left lane, then move back if you wish. You could just open it up to 100kph and cruise in the middle lane for a while.

So far, the only highways I traveled on with the Forza, have only two lanes.

On a three lane highway, coasting in the middle lane is only OK if the road is quiet.

No matter what your bike size (even if it's a larger and capable scooter), Thai laws do not separate small bikes from big bikes so it's still the same - supposed to stay in the left lane.

Most of the (real) big bikers ignore this left lane nonsense anyway, however to stay in the right lane you have to be going faster than 80 kmh, remember, right lane is a passing lane and if you're there going 80 you have no business being in the right lane.

Regarding the potholes, don't now which roads you're riding but there's plenty highways in Thailand with very good surface.

I agree with everything you have said Shurup, but riding on the 117 highway south towards Nakhon Sawan, as you get closer to NS

the first lane has a lot of patching, while the Hard shoulder is pretty good except for a couple of bits just pass the weigh station.

Left lanes get eaten up by overweight trucks driving on them as they melt in 40 degree heat. Ridges, bumps, holes and grooves appear from no where.

Best bet is the middle lane, close to the white lines.

Yes, but as I have said, what about the two lane highways?

And a Forza at the end of the day is still a scooter!

They're all bikes the definitions became irrelevant a long time ago. Why does anyone still bother to try to make that point. Who cares anyway.

Edited by Timnic

Move into the middle or outside lane until road surface has improved in the left lane, then move back if you wish. You could just open it up to 100kph and cruise in the middle lane for a while.

On a three lane highway, coasting in the middle lane is only OK if the road is quiet.

So as you live in the countryside I'm sure the 2 lane main road doesn't get that busy. Bring your speed up a bit (tthe Forza will do about 120 if needed right?) and move into the right lane for a while, until the left lane improves. Keep an eye on your mirrors so if someone wants to pass move into the left lane. Like HG says it's the trucks that cause the grooves so stay closer to the white lines(or right in the centre) while in the left lane. If it's really busy then just slow down and use the hard shoulder for a while. i wouldn't want to stay there much either as it's kinda the most dangerous lane to be in, but sometimes you have little choice.

I agree with everything you have said Shurup, but riding on the 117 highway south towards Nakhon Sawan, as you get closer to NS

the first lane has a lot of patching, while the Hard shoulder is pretty good except for a couple of bits just pass the weigh station.

I know what you mean and I've noticed this also that some of the bike lanes (hard shoulder lanes that are at least 1 m wide) have better surface than the main road. I just ride on whichever lane is smoother and or free of traffic on any particular road I'm traveling on.

Like HG says it's the trucks that cause the grooves so stay closer to the white lines(or right in the centre) while in the left lane.

If you do that, (riding in the center of the lane) keep in mind that any leaked oil and other liquids would be right in the center, especially near the traffic lights, easy to slip.

So as you live in the countryside I'm sure the 2 lane main road doesn't get that busy. Bring your speed up a bit (tthe Forza will do about 120 if needed right?) and move into the right lane for a while, until the left lane improves. Keep an eye on your mirrors so if someone wants to pass move into the left lane. Like HG says it's the trucks that cause the grooves so stay closer to the white lines(or right in the centre) while in the left lane. If it's really busy then just slow down and use the hard shoulder for a while. i wouldn't want to stay there much either as it's kinda the most dangerous lane to be in, but sometimes you have little choice.

Great post Macknife.

Ride on which ever bit of road is the smoothest. Keep 200b in your pocket as its the toll needed to do this.

Read post #14, I think that is the best advice you will get, I would say on no account use the third lane of a three lane highway except if you want to do a U-turn

or a quick overtake if the third lane is clear.

Sorry if i am off topic but late April this year i went from Samut Prakarn up to Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai and apart from 30 to 40 kilometers between Nakhon Sawan and Kamphangpet i thought the roads were pretty amazing. In fact a lot better than some areas of BKK.

Ride on which ever bit of road is the smoothest. Keep 200b in your pocket as its the toll needed to do this.

Read post #14, I think that is the best advice you will get, I would say on no account use the third lane of a three lane highway except if you want to do a U-turn

Hmmm.... You may not feel comfortable in the 3rd or outside lane but I wouldn't say dont use it. If you have a bigger bike then in my opinion, it's the safest lane to use.

Hmmm.... You may not feel comfortable in the 3rd or outside lane but I wouldn't say dont use it. If you have a bigger bike then in my opinion, it's the safest lane to use.

Till some <deleted> turns right!

The previous three posts make some good sense, the only answer is, use the lane which is suitable at the time using your common sense, even if it is the hard shoulder.

but do not exceed the speed limit, stay safe the three of you, and also the majority of decent posters on this forum.

Hi possum,

I have a Forza as well as a 650cc bike and a car. When I ride the Forza, which I really like btw , I keep up with traffic and just use the appropriate lane, if overtaking ,that is the right lane. The Forza has ample power to be ridden with the flow of traffic.

I kinda ride normally without paying attention to the left lane only for bikes bs, and only under exceptional circumstances, or to get a headstart at lights do I use the small bike lane. I hate the slow motion pullaway from lights that is endemic here, even in my truck am way ahead of the snails if I am lucky enough to get the front position.

Don't be timid on the road and let people know of your presence , whilst allowing the fast stuff by of course. Above all, enjoy it, I have met Forzas on the road touring Thailand, I got mine for the Mrs but kinda dig it myself, smooth and easy to ride.

Have fun, PP

Edited by prestburypark

I ride in the lane that is the safest at the moment, do not get hung up about having to stay far left that can be a killer. I have ridden all over the place on a lot of different roads and highways and have not been pulled over or fined for riding in the right lane.