Prayut indicates Thaksin could face lese majeste charge

webfact

Sorry Mr P, but most foreigners here have seen the interview, and nowhere in the interview does Mr T cross the line.

He implicates the elite in being behind the coup to maintain status quo, and not even the most yellow shirted supporter of the present situation can deny that!!

By all means, go for Mr T, he should be behind bars, but play it clean!!

Using the Thailands draconian LM laws doesn't make you any friends, here or abroad!!

Elite? Thaksin, CP, the beer families, the bank families behind the coup???

maintain status quo???

No it was the middle class and they did it to change the status quo.

In one speech he spoke about some other support than the elites and this is illegal in Thailand.

You are missing the point!!

The institution don't need any special law to protect them, they are respected and loved by the people.

The LM is merely a political tool, used by politicians to serve their personal and political agenda.

yes right.....Actually most LM cases I know would go in jail abroad as well under different laws.

I'd be curious to know exactly 'which' countries you are referring to? Maybe a North Korea (preferred regime du jour), China or maybe some African despot??

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again... when will thailand enter the real world?

while these things, monarchs, such as England...the only thing they give is an picture on currency... nothing else. yes while an accomplish monarch treads suspiciously on the backs of others and have their 'secrets'... such as the 'replacement' of such monarchs... performing infidelity acts then being an example to the people? well we can say such military action is only because such infidel is a military person... so having the support of the military holds this key to why the PM says what he says.... has military backing... Hitler stated he was the King of his monarch... therefore, we know that his monarchy became a dictatorship...

now.... can this really happen? how can anyone be charged in this? it would really prove the insolvency of the government having to invent charges because why? FEAR... FEAR EXISTS IN THIS GOVERNMENT... how will that change his policy...? He want Thai people to be happy" if he is going to undermind the good in others?

so ridiculous, this comment is...

the LM laws are not "your own".... if by that you mean the Thai people.

That's interesting. Who do they belong to then?

you aren't REALLY that slow, are you?

well, maybe... coffee1.gif

Let's assume I am and that you aren't some sort of idiot. I'm interested in why you dispute the ownership of the LM laws.

I haven't met a Thai who has a problem with them in the 15 years I've lived here. If you think you could break those laws and not get a reaction from normal Thai people around you, you are mistaken to the extent that I wonder if you have ever been to this country.

I have witnessed 2 instances, one where a drunk running off at the mouth was told to shut up, pay up and leave. In the second an idiot decided to burn out the eyes of the king on his banknotes using a cigarette. A Thai lady rode to the nearest police station and brought them back.

Even the simple action of stopping a rolling coin with your foot is considered to be extremely bad manners.

More Junta fabrications and these generals would like the world to recognise them as legitimate rulers of Thailand, and I am sure when Thaksin arrives back in Thailand they will put led weights around his legs and drop him in the Chao Phaya river and if he floats he will be proclaimed innocent, and if he drowns straight to jail

Seems like nearly anything the goevernment dont like to see, hear or read is falling under lese majeste

quite scary to see the movement of this country.....so never ever there can be a movement into a democratic country!

maintain status quo???

In one speech he spoke about some other support than the elites and this is illegal in Thailand.

The institution don't need any special law to protect them, they are respected and loved by the people.

The LM is merely a political tool, used by politicians to serve their personal and political agenda.

yes right.....Actually most LM cases I know would go in jail abroad as well under different laws.

I have seen a lot of nonsense coming from your keyboard, but this takes the prize!!

Most nations respect the right to freedom of speech, even when it comes to criticizing their institutions!!

These LM were NOT criticizing it. Unfortunately I can't repeat what was told in many of the cases. But google is your friend. That is punished in all countries and not only if it is about the King/President.

More Junta fabrications and these generals would like the world to recognise them as legitimate rulers of Thailand, and I am sure when Thaksin arrives back in Thailand they will put led weights around his legs and drop him in the Chao Phaya river and if he floats he will be proclaimed innocent, and if he drowns straight to jail

Keep walking. sir.

Ah yes the old LM card is being played, always handy to have when you need it, similar to the racist card, but on a political level, does that mean they will ask that he is deported, like they did with those other Thai nationals, all puff, and no wind

the LM laws are not "your own".... if by that you mean the Thai people.

That's interesting. Who do they belong to then?

you aren't REALLY that slow, are you?

well, maybe... coffee1.gif

Let's assume I am and that you aren't some sort of idiot. I'm interested in why you dispute the ownership of the LM laws.

I haven't met a Thai who has a problem with them in the 15 years I've lived here. If you think you could break those laws and not get a reaction from normal Thai people around you, you are mistaken to the extent that I wonder if you have ever been to this country.

I have witnessed 2 instances, one where a drunk running off at the mouth was told to shut up, pay up and leave. In the second an idiot decided to burn out the eyes of the king on his banknotes using a cigarette. A Thai lady rode to the nearest police station and brought them back.

Even the simple action of stopping a rolling coin with your foot is considered to be extremely bad manners.

because the LM laws do not serve the Thai society as a whole, but the LM laws do an invaluable service to the military and their elite allies to maintain control. The LM law is used by one side as a threat to stifle any criticism and to cut off debate about how Thai society should be run. This means that the law only serves the interest of a few and that allows those few to maintain a stranglehold on the Thai society. Additionally, the law itself could be invoked against anyone who suggested that the law be changed or - lord forbid - repealed.

I should note that this is the case relative to the military for the last 70 years, however, the LM law is extremely useful for anyone or any group that rises to a position of power in Thailand because it is used to silence critics, stifle debate, and is darn handy as a legal hatchet. Last but not least, it is a law which is not applied based on what someone did or said, but applied based on how someone else felt about what was done or said. This is what makes the law unjust and what makes it so dangerous and also so valuable for those who can wield it.

The law is not a law of the Thai people because it does no service to the broader Thai society, because it is instrumental in suppressing Thai freedoms, and because it is essentially impossible to change much less repeal. Hence the Thai people themselves have no control over this being law or not.

because the LM laws do not serve the Thai society as a whole, but the LM laws do an invaluable service to the military and their elite allies to maintain control. The LM law is used by one side as a threat to stifle any criticism and to cut off debate about how Thai society should be run. This means that the law only serves the interest of a few and that allows those few to maintain a stranglehold on the Thai society. Additionally, the law itself could be invoked against anyone who suggested that the law be changed or - lord forbid - repealed.

I should note that this is the case relative to the military for the last 70 years, however, the LM law is extremely useful for anyone or any group that rises to a position of power in Thailand because it is used to silence critics, stifle debate, and is darn handy as a legal hatchet. Last but not least, it is a law which is not applied based on what someone did or said, but applied based on how someone else felt about what was done or said. This is what makes the law unjust and what makes it so dangerous and also so valuable for those who can wield it.

The law is not a law of the Thai people because it does no service to the broader Thai society, because it is instrumental in suppressing Thai freedoms, and because it is essentially impossible to change much less repeal. Hence the Thai people themselves have no control over this being law or not.

I don't like it either, but that's not worth a monkey's toss. You rant and rave about democratic ideals, but deny ownership of a law that by far the majority of Thais endorse. Your over-inflated sense of personal rights, not to mention ego, leaves you pissing into the wind, and it's no gentle breeze.

For my own country, I'm a republican - with enough sense that with a long-serving monarch there is no chance of change until the inevitable occurs. Here the level of monarchist fervour is such that people don't care if the LM laws are abused, they want them anyway.

I don't like it either, but that's not worth a monkey's toss. You rant and rave about democratic ideals, but deny ownership of a law that by far the majority of Thais endorse. Your over-inflated sense of personal rights, not to mention ego, leaves you pissing into the wind, and it's no gentle breeze.

For my own country, I'm a republican - with enough sense that with a long-serving monarch there is no chance of change until the inevitable occurs. Here the level of monarchist fervour is such that people don't care if the LM laws are abused, they want them anyway.

you state that the "majority of Thais endorse" yet you have no idea if that is true, nor do you (or I) know what the Thai people would do if they were free to change or repeal that law.

you state that the "majority of Thais endorse" yet you have no idea if that is true, nor do you (or I) know what the Thai people would do if they were free to change or repeal that law.

Have you ever been to Thailand?

You make one reasonable point and then expose your prejudices and muddled thinking with a fatuous conclusion.You also imply (I suspect your poor use of language is at fault rather than your sentiment) that you would like to impose your own republicanism on the Thai people at some point.Speak for yourself.

Personally I am a monarchist and strongly believe constitutional monarchy suits Thailand's culture and tradition very well.There is no conflict between democracy and constitutional monarchy; indeed they reinforce each other.

I agree that most Thais support lese majeste legislation for its intended purpose, namely to protect the institution.This is the one point you make with which I agree.

You do not speak for the Thai people however - or indeed anyone not unhinged - when you suggest they will tolerate any kind of abuse of the LM law , particularly of the self serving type practised by politicians, generals and miscellaneous malicious sources.In fact you are hopelessly wrong.

You may as well say that Thai people are in favour of capital punishment for murder (probably true) and believe it so fervently that it is immaterial whether innocent people go to the gallows (your ludicrous assertion).

As to LM most Thais indeed support the concept but hold in contempt those who abuse it for political advantage.The LM legislation has an honourable purpose and should with some minor reforms be retained.Those who cherish the monarchy know that the cynical abuse by politicians and generals may end up having precisely the opposite effect of what the legislation intends.Shame on those reptiles and shame on you for falling for their self serving lies.

You make one reasonable point and then expose your prejudices and muddled thinking with a fatuous conclusion.You also imply (I suspect your poor use of language is at fault rather than your sentiment) that you would like to impose your own republicanism on the Thai people at some point.Speak for yourself.

Personally I am a monarchist and strongly believe constitutional monarchy suits Thailand's culture and tradition very well.There is no conflict between democracy and constitutional monarchy; indeed they reinforce each other.

I agree that most Thais support lese majeste legislation for its intended purpose, namely to protect the institution.This is the one point you make with which I agree.

You do not speak for the Thai people however - or indeed anyone not unhinged - when you suggest they will tolerate any kind of abuse of the LM law , particularly of the self serving type practised by politicians, generals and miscellaneous malicious sources.In fact you are hopelessly wrong.

You may as well say that Thai people are in favour of capital punishment for murder (probably true) and believe it so fervently that it is immaterial whether innocent people go to the gallows (your ludicrous assertion).

As to LM most Thais indeed support the concept but hold in contempt those who abuse it for political advantage.The LM legislation has an honourable purpose and should with some minor reforms be retained.Those who cherish the monarchy know that the cynical abuse by politicians and generals may end up having precisely the opposite effect of what the legislation intends.Shame on those reptiles and shame on you for falling for their self serving lies.

Learn to read and/or stop making ridiculous assumptions.

Have you ever been to Thailand?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry Mr P, but most foreigners here have seen the interview, and nowhere in the interview does Mr T cross the line.

He implicates the elite in being behind the coup to maintain status quo, and not even the most yellow shirted supporter of the present situation can deny that!!

By all means, go for Mr T, he should be behind bars, but play it clean!!

Using the Thailands draconian LM laws doesn't make you any friends, here or abroad!!

maintain status quo???

Apparently you do not have a particularly acute knowledge of laws in the free world. Perhaps your claim is accurate in respect to Russia, Zimbabwe, Belarus, Afghanistan, Iran and a few others. The LM law has been used for political means in Thailand, and the use is not exclusive to any particular political side, although it is a favoured tool of one group.

you have a logical post.

IMO, many people (falang) mistake a support for the king as support for LM. You point out that there are many who don't like to see it abused. That's probably true, but like so many things associated with Art 112, it is nearly impossible to investigate the question much less have a serious set of data on it.

Which is the point I made to Halloween and he just doesn't get it. Art 112 - because it is abused so heavily - is essentially untouchable. People who have seriously suggested reforming it, much less eliminate it, have come under scrutiny for LM themselves. For the naive or biased such as Halloween, this is possible due to the fact that the law is applied based on how someone else feels about what you did or said and not actually based on what you did or said.

Given this is the case in Thailand, as long as Art 112 exists and is abused, any attempt to reform or repeal Art 112 will receive the wrath of those who want and need the law to maintain their power. For this reason, it can hardly be considered a law of the Thai people...

When is Prayuth going to drop his obsession with routing the PTP and get on with tackling the many many problems facing this country? All this is really showing up the real reason for this power seizure. If anyone were still in any doubt.

When are you going to wake up to the fact that PTP are a pack of criminals taking payment from another criminal to vote to his orders, and that is the major problem facing this country? You get rid of the leeches before you start the transfusion.

You seem to be confusing me with someone who just yesterday disembarked the banana boat. I'd warned my oh so very proud Thai friends that Taksin was a shyster and they would regret voting him in, and was proved correct, in short order.

Your post is as dimwitted and naive as they if you insist on deluding yourself this coup was to rout this country of corruption. The BP is daily reporting the childish 'na na na na naa' stripping of Taksin's 'decorations' and, no wait, laugh.png 'position in the police force' A criminal on the run! (Why now, BTW? They've had NINE bloody years). My best guess is the hit-the-fan.gifis about to.

He was allowed an exit but didn't follow the usual protocol of keeping his head down. Duh. All the problems caused since then sit squarely on this one arrogant act by the military and their backers.

Now go back to sleep, safe in your dream of Uncle Poot Maak 'Too' coming to the rescue smile.png