Anyone know if people can take a Thai motorbike to Laos?

First of you should specify if only for a limited amount of time or permanently. "Moving" sounds like permanently.

Until recently there were no bikes bigger than 400cc allowed in Laos. Official reason being that police wouldn't be able to catch up otherwise (no kidding).

I think it was the WTO that required Laos to get rid of that law but now they are in a transition period.

I have seen big bikes there but it certainly wont be straight forward to import a 400cc+ bike. Some money lube might help/be required.

I know lots of people toaur on bikes in Laos no problem. All sizes. Just need the paperwork in place, insurance and a legal green book registered bike. No idea on importing permanently

Temp export

need the green book in ur name and also the Purple passport for the bike which u get at the dept of motor vehicles

gt riders has all the info

Permanent export no idea

I have taken mine last year, i got a one month visa on arrival, but only two weeks for the bike!

Purple passport? I went to the transport office with my green book, they write a certificate asking immigration to accept the bike belongs to the holder, but no purple passport, is that for cars?

look here.

http://www.gt-rider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings

Temp export

need the green book in ur name and also the Purple passport for the bike which u get at the dept of motor vehicles

Permanent export no idea

Temo export:

No purple pasport , only a certificate from the Transportation department.

No need for your name in the green book, a power of attorney is accepted

No "normal bikes" allowed to pass the friendships bridges, only "big bikes"

( no idea from what size its counted as big bike )

But surely not standard 100 to 125 cc motorbikes...

I have been in Vientiane with my CRF250, no problems besides that i don't have "purple book" and the officials don't get to much Thai registered bikes to process.

( the unawareness of the certificate , both at Thai and Laos side )

Edited by kovaltech

I suspect you will have no difficulty whatsoever in Laos, it's getting it out of Thailand that requires the paperwork.

Normally the paperwork is in the form of a temporary export, I doubt anyone would care of you don't take it back. You will need the green book in your name, or a correctly filled out authority form if it's not in your name. You need the green book anyway.

Edited by technologybytes

The "purple passport" was discontinued years ago for bikes.

I presume you are taking the bike out and bringing it back? (You are allowed 6 months otherwise the fines start mounting up)

You need the green book in your name and you should be able to get any additional paperwork at the border.

If the green book is not in your name you will need to have authority from the legal owner, I think you need a copy of their i.d. and house registration.

I believe it is pretty straight forward to take a Thai bike to Laos.

I have taken my full size SUV (imported LX570) and there was no problem. I had to bring a document shows that I own this car and fully paid, not financed or leased.

Temp export

Permanent export no idea

Temo export:

No purple pasport , only a certificate from the Transportation department.

No need for your name in the green book, a power of attorney is accepted

No "normal bikes" allowed to pass the friendships bridges, only "big bikes"

( no idea from what size its counted as big bike )

But surely not standard 100 to 125 cc motorbikes...

I have been in Vientiane with my CRF250, no problems besides that i don't have "purple book" and the officials don't get to much Thai registered bikes to process.

( the unawareness of the certificate , both at Thai and Laos side )

Last December i crossed from Laos into Thailand at friendship bridge on a PCX. It must be a rule they make up as they go i would think.

Lao does not allow headlights to be on during the day. So you will need to get a switch on the bike that will allow you to turn off the light for daytime riding. Otherwise you will be stopped and fined at least daily.

The import tax is expensive, he would be better to sell the bike in Thailand and buy a new one in Lao.

Edited by JimMagee

Lao does not allow headlights to be on during the day. So you will need to get a switch on the bike that will allow you to turn off the light for daytime riding. Otherwise you will be stopped and fined at least daily.

The import tax is expensive, he would be better to sell the bike in Thailand and buy a new one in Lao.

Re lighting. Same as Cambodia. Stick tape is easiest option.

I rode for two weeks there and was stopped a road check points two times North of Luang Prabang, not one time at these or in the rest of my trip was i stopped and fined.

I was asked for a donation at the first check, when i accidentally showed them the contents of my wallet when getting my driving licence out. I refused and they waved me on my way.

Again i think it must be arbitrarily enforced.

I have taken a pedal bicycle, Udon - Nong Khai - Vientianne a few times have to leave at 4am to get there before that hot yellow thing comes up.

No problems except for a few people wondering ... "WHY ?"

Ussually the bike go in part to Laos...stolen in Thailand by Thai and Lao gangs, stripped....(Catted)......stolen value 30.000 makes 6 in Laos for a drug related sale.

Special tours can be arranged....Lao consulkate in Khon Kaen or Embassy of Laos in Bangkok.

Otherwise? no way!

Ussually the bike go in part to Laos...stolen in Thailand by Thai and Lao gangs, stripped....(Catted)......stolen value 30.000 makes 6 in Laos for a drug related sale.

Special tours can be arranged....Lao consulkate in Khon Kaen or Embassy of Laos in Bangkok.

Otherwise? no way!

Not sure what you are trying to convey, but pretty sure it is wrong..

Otherwise? no way!

What a load of incoherant incorrect gibberish!

I have never heard that the stupid Cambodian headlight law also applies to Laos. Rode my Thai CRF there forthree weeks, including checkpoints and getting stopped by plod but no problems.

I got stopped and fined in Vientiane in January. Then I looked around and saw others didn't have their headlights on.

• 1 month later...