Internet too slow to watch sports, what alternatives are there?

xylophone

Page 2 and still no mention of the obvious solution: pay TV wink.png

Sometimes, old tech has it's advantages - because it just works smile.png

The service the thread starter wants to use is not free BTW, 600 Baht per month ?

And the advantages of such a service about old tech are convincing.

Time shifting, roll back 7 days or more.

You determine the schedule.

Programs from your country in your language.

My sat eqip. is stowed away.

Would never go back without need.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks again for all the replies and I am still waiting to follow up on the use of the True Internet line which has been run to the apartment in the past, however the apartment owner is sick at the moment so don't really want to bother him with this.

Having said that, I was able to watch the FA Cup final without any freezing on Saturday evening, so I'm wondering whether the other couple of instances whereby I haven't been able to watch football have been due to "an anomaly" in the Internet service?

I shall keep on investigating and listening to any helpful comments posted on here, so once again many thanks.

Page 2 and still no mention of the obvious solution: pay TV wink.png

Sometimes, old tech has it's advantages - because it just works smile.png

The service the thread starter wants to use is not free BTW, 600 Baht per month ?

And the advantages of such a service about old tech are convincing.

Time shifting, roll back 7 days or more.

You determine the schedule.

Programs from your country in your language.

My sat eqip. is stowed away.

Would never go back without need.

Not sure about others, but Truvisions boxes have built-in DVR capability, and very reliable program guides. Plus, their 1080i transmissions have far superior picture quality to any live streaming based solutions I've ever seen.

I still keep my platinum subscription going for F1 alone - I can watch that in "1080P" streaming on IPTV, but the quality just isn't there - the difference is very easily noticeable.

The other big advantage Truevisions has is lag (that is, a lack of it) - which make a real big difference if you're properly into sports and are watching with a companion app.

Edited by IMHO

Depends on your connection whether you can use your boxes. Linksys will be ADSL compatible. If you get TRUE fiber, the boxes will be no good as TRUE uses coaxial multiplex. However they will supply with a new box for free.

Just ring TRUE on 1686, and ask them, don't see why you need to consult your condo management team.

From what I've read, and for whatever reason, many condos only permit you to use the provided Interwebnet.

If it is indeed throttling you can get around it by disguising your traffic through a vpn such as HMA or buying a fixed proxy in another country.
You can pick up a proxy or HMA for around $11 a month
You can go the free route and install vidalia bridge and use TOR as a proxy but I don't trust that shit as far as I can spit as you might be open to MIM attacks.

If this suggestion doesnt work then its either the contention ratio that's a problem or just shit internet service.

Internet has been slow in Phuket lately ( at least for me), so not sure if OP has noticed this as he is also in Phuket.

Yes I have noticed that, and that's probably why I couldn't watch the football I wanted in the first place (freezing etc) however as I said I was able to watch it on Saturday evening!

Over a period of a few weeks, a short while ago, the Internet always seemed to be dropping out which was most annoying, however that seems to have ceased.

By way of feedback, I am in small block of eight apartments only and I think the owner will be amenable to me being able to use the True Internet feed that he had, because it still terminates just outside of my room. So, as I understand it from the other info posted, I would be able to get a modem/router installed for my own personal Internet use, and of course pay whatever is needed to make it work.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Update and feedback...............and thanks to everyone who replied and in particular to Forkinhades, KhunBENQ and Chicog for their insights and advice.

The Internet is working well now and I've had no problem for the past few weeks and I put that down to the following, most of which were mentioned by the responders: – the 3BB service seems to have improved, this especially after a couple of days off intermittent supply which was due, I was informed, to the fact that they were doing some maintenance/repairs on the lines.

Then as suggested by others, a couple of heavy Internet users moved out of their apartments above me, in particular one Russian guy who seemed to be on it 24 hours a day, and everything seems to be fine now, so it seems like a combination of a couple of things.

Thanks again and if the mods want to, they can close the topic from my perspective, however they may wish to leave it open for others to comment.