Don't you just love the Thais

edd

Yes i love the Thais

This country is my home now.

its far from perfict but !!!!!!, i love them most of the time. wai2.gif

I must have missed that day at school.

So you're supposed to love everyone in the country you happen to live in?wub.png

Sounds tiring! crying.gif

Especially if you're French. huh.png

I think that Jingthing's point shows a healthy perspective for his adopted country.

His (or hers') comments sure beat the <deleted> off the TVF members who have nothing good to say about the Kingdom.

Good attitude Jingthing. I appreciate Thai people too.

Good sarcasm, dude.

I actually strongly prefer Filipinos, but I wouldn't want to LIVE there! w00t.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thread this one.

In all Farang super stores in pattaya, i do beleve all fresh mince is on display.

you can see what they have, yes ?

Beef mince is available at Macro, I buy it for spaghetti sauce regularly.

1 kilo for about 250Baht, £5ish

3 days ago I was in a family Mart to buy my daily Pocari Water. I spot a small promotion sign in Thai saying "Promotion, 2 bottles 30 ฿" (Which is the usual price for 1 bottle)

I'm not fluent but I can read basic Thai.

I decide to take 4 of them for 60฿, good deal.

The cashier says "120 ฿, not 60 !"

_ but I see promotion

_ nooo mai mee promotion

I bring the promotion sign to her and read it (in thai) :

_ 2 bottles 30฿

_ but you don't have 2 bottles ! You have 4 bottles !

I went with the mai pen rai attitude, paid 120฿ and was amazed smile.png

TiT !

While we are on the subject of cute prose, my Thai fiancé once told me that she could not ride her motorbike because there was not enough "wind". After 3 or 4 go arounds, she said not "enough wind in the tires". Oh, okay, now I got it (air in the tires).

Another time, I referred to the "basement" in my house in Canada. The next day, she referred to that space as the "earth room".

Ahh, I love everything about this girl ! This ThaiCan relationship is priceless.

Let me get this straight...you come to live in a foreign country where you are only a guest and when the local butcher does not understand your English or pigeon Thai, he is the buffoon ? Wow....this forum has devolved to nothing but knuckle draggers and sexpats as of late.

My guess is if you knew how to properly speak Thai and put some effort into ingratiating yourself into Thai society instead of being a know it all you might actually learn some humility.

Let me get this straight...you come to live in a foreign country where you are only a guest and when the local butcher does not understand your English or pigeon Thai, he is the buffoon ? Wow....this forum has devolved to nothing but knuckle draggers and sexpats as of late.

My guess is if you knew how to properly speak Thai and put some effort into ingratiating yourself into Thai society instead of being a know it all you might actually learn some humility.

Tonray,

I am sure most of us are not "Knuckle Draggers" or Sexpats"

For the most part this tread has only been a light hearted look at the nuances between cultures and language barriers.

As per below this occurs all over the world. It is Funny.

We can bring it on ourselves sometimes.

I had a friend in Hua Hin who once ordered a cheese and tomato sandwich without tomato. The whole thing degenerated into a farce. He ended up with bread and butter about 15 minutes later.

Bit like post 26.facepalm.gif

A few years ago I went to Brisbane, Australia for a conference. They put us in a fancy inner city boutique hotel...French speaking staff etc etc.

Went down for breakfast and asked for eggs , bacon and (what I thought would be baked beans..hey I'm a simple eater).

Got a funny look from the waitress...beans? yes beans.

yep ...got a plate with eggs, bacon and still frozen chopped runner beans (straight out of the bag I suspect) decoratively sprinkled on top.

Ate the lot too. Little bit crunchy but not too bad.

As per below TVF has many lovers not "Knuckle Draggers".

Yes i love the Thais

This country is my home now.

its far from perfict but !!!!!!, i love them most of the time. wai2.gif

As with all communities you must expect differences of participants, I do understand that some reply's are impudent, but you sure do sit on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Please reframe from castigating TVF and members. I am only a new member, TVF has provided me with a mass of information and I am thank full to all members contribution.

Hope your day improves.

Cheers.

Don't you just love the Thais

Well, since you asked ... They've been pissing me off a bit lately.

I know the feeling. When I lived in China, I'd get to feeling that way after about 6 months in country. That's when it was time for a sanity break (disguised as a sales trip) back home.

What is Velveeta cheese used for? Surly not for human consumption. I put some on a mouse trap one time and the mice took the cheese off of the trap and left it about a foot away refusing to eat it.

I think it's meant to be paired with SPAM for your spam 'n cheez sandwiches.

Nah, we use Cheez Wiz for that. Or eat it right out of the jar.

Velveeta is best used for making cheesy dips for chips.

Why did you ask for minced meat? It is available in every grocery store in the entire Thailand. It is so hard not to find it here. Trolling, are not we ?

Really, show me where the minced beef is in Big C in Surin. I've seen a few ridiculously priced steaks but can't recall seeing mince.

A lot of the Thai people I know (in fact ALL the Thai people I know) just say they don't like beef because of the smell.

Maybe it's more of a religious thing that they have inherited over the years, but I've never seen anyone eat beef around here...chicken , pork, fish etc but never beef.

Next to minced pork, my friend. "All Thai people you know". Do you ask everybody whether he/she likes beef? Man, do not listen to that crap, what Thais say to you has nothing to do with the truth, they just amuse themselves and brainwash you a little. Live your life, find where in Surin they sell minced beef, for God's sake and tell us where you found it. I am so tired of that BS.

Why did you ask for minced meat? It is available in every grocery store in the entire Thailand. It is so hard not to find it here. Trolling, are not we ?

Really, show me where the minced beef is in Big C in Surin. I've seen a few ridiculously priced steaks but can't recall seeing mince.

A lot of the Thai people I know (in fact ALL the Thai people I know) just say they don't like beef because of the smell.

Maybe it's more of a religious thing that they have inherited over the years, but I've never seen anyone eat beef around here...chicken , pork, fish etc but never beef.

Next to minced pork, my friend. "All Thai people you know". Do you ask everybody whether he/she likes beef? Man, do not listen to that crap, what Thais say to you has nothing to do with the truth, they just amuse themselves and brainwash you a little. Live your life, find where in Surin they sell minced beef, for God's sake and tell us where you found it. I am so tired of that BS.

Frozen minced beef is in most Makro's.

Pork mince, beef mince...who cares? I just use pork mince for burgers, bolognaise, grapow, cottage pie etc ... Can't tell the difference when all the other stuff is added.

The only time I worry about "Beef" is when I'm buying a big juicy steak. Not bottom of the budget mince.

I agree with your first statement, but you have to admit that even for people who really are trying to learn Thai, it's difficult. It's a hard language to get a grip on because of the tones and most of us are older. The ability to learn languages diminishes with age.

I'm trying and I'm getting there, but you guys who speak good Thai saying, "well idiot, just learn Thai" are arrogant and condescending.

I'm trying and I'm getting there, but you guys who speak good Thai saying, "well idiot, just learn Thai" are arrogant and condescending.

And, according to the Thai people I work with, mostly unintelligible when they do speak Thai, regardless of what they think of their own Thai skills.

I agree with your first statement, but you have to admit that even for people who really are trying to learn Thai, it's difficult. It's a hard language to get a grip on because of the tones and most of us are older. The ability to learn languages diminishes with age.

I'm trying and I'm getting there, but you guys who speak good Thai saying, "well idiot, just learn Thai" are arrogant and condescendi

I agree. During the late 90's and early 00' when I came to Thailand on holiday a couple of times a year, I spent a fortune on Linguaphone courses in the UK. I really did try very hard.

When I tried to speak in Pattaya I got some strange looks and giggles. It would appear I had been learning perfect Thai. For example, I never forget trying out ordering a beer for the first time. It would appear I said something like "May I have one bottle of beer and a copy of the menu please". whereas I should have just said 'a beer and menu"

You get my point I hope. Sure, I should have stuck with it but it seemed pointless. My ex wife told me that, anyway, they speak different from Issan.

It put me right off trying to learn any more.

As you get older it sure is harder to learn a language. I'm off to Spain later this year, but believe me, learning Spanish is much easier.

Pork mince, beef mince...who cares? I just use pork mince for burgers, bolognaise, grapow, cottage pie etc ... Can't tell the difference when all the other stuff is added.

The only time I worry about "Beef" is when I'm buying a big juicy steak. Not bottom of the budget mince.

Pork is actually used more in spag bol, in Italy than beef i think,i could not use it for burgers,or cottage pie,or the wonderfull Mousakka's i make,no then you need beef.

And, according to the Thai people I work with, mostly unintelligible when they do speak Thai, regardless of what they think of their own Thai skills.

Canada is bilingual English and French. but on the west coast very few of us speak French.

We had a Québécois workmate who we joked couldn't speak English nor French. A little bit like here.

Canada is bilingual English and French. but on the west coast very few of us speak French.

We had a Québécois workmate who we joked couldn't speak English nor French. A little bit like here.

Sounds like Louisiana. They claim it's English, but...

What is Velveeta cheese used for? Surly not for human consumption. I put some on a mouse trap one time and the mice took the cheese off of the trap and left it about a foot away refusing to eat it.

I think it's meant to be paired with SPAM for your spam 'n cheez sandwiches.

Nah, we use Cheez Wiz for that. Or eat it right out of the jar.

Velveeta is best used for making cheesy dips for chips.

I just melt some real cheese for dips. Why use coloured oil for food?

I'm sure the people you work with are correct. However most people I know have no trouble conversing with Thai people. I'm arrogant and condescending when reading folks who have never been far enough from home to know that mince is not ground in most of the world and civilized people don't eat valveeta, vegemite, spotted dick or

post-232807-0-97849700-1433072403_thumb.

I'm sure the people you work with are correct. However most people I know have no trouble conversing with Thai people. I'm arrogant and condescending when reading folks who have never been far enough from home to know that mince is not ground in most of the world and civilized people don't eat valveeta, vegemite, spotted dick or

I always thought that ground was the same as mince, and so does most part of the world, so you must live in a different world. But we knew that long time already, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_beef

Ground beef, beef mince, minced meat, hamburger (in the United States) is a ground meat made of beef, finely chopped by a meat grinder. It is used in many recipes including hamburgers and cottage pie. In some parts of the world, a meat grinder is called a mincer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskCulinary/comments/2ppsds/rookie_question_but_whats_the_difference_between/

Rookie question, but what's the difference between minced meat and ground beef (or ground meat I guess)

The side of the atlantic ocean that you live on.

I always thought that ground was the same as mince, and so does most part of the world, so you must live in a different world. But we knew that long time already, actually.

Ground beef, beef mince, minced meat, hamburger (in the United States) is a ground meat made of beef, finely chopped by a meat grinder. It is used in many recipes including hamburgers and cottage pie. In some parts of the world, a meat grinder is called a mincer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskCulinary/comments/2ppsds/rookie_question_but_whats_the_difference_between/

Rookie question, but what's the difference between minced meat and ground beef (or ground meat I guess)

Go to the grocery in the USA and order mince meat and you will get the jar listed below. I however know the difference because I am a seasoned traveler and don't have any problems ordering food in Thailand. I don't see everything in Thailand through the ethnocentric eyes of a Western first time out of the country newby.

post-232807-0-06049200-1433074089_thumb.

I have never purchased minced meat in the USA. We buy ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey and ground chicken. It's run through a meat grinder, not a mincer.

Full disclosure: I never shop in places that may charge high enough prices that they may have to refer to it as Minced Meat for their clientele to accept it. So there may be ethnic shops that do refer to it as minced. That would be my first cue to exit.

Edited by impulse

Go to the grocery in the USA and order mince meat and you will get the jar listed below. I however know the difference because I am a seasoned traveler and don't have any problems ordering food in Thailand. I don't see everything in Thailand through the ethnocentric eyes of a Western first time out of the country newby.

Now I entered both ground meat and minced meat in Google translate to translate it to my language and, however Google is a US company, both times I got the exact same results.

So I think it's just another case of an American trying to force his view on the rest of the world

Now I entered both ground meat and minced meat in Google translate to translate it to my language and, however Google is a US company, both times I got the exact same results.

So I think it's just another case of an American trying to force his view on the rest of the world

So you have learned something - good. Not everything is the way it is in your country.

Sup is the word for ground (beef) or ground (pork) in Thailand. Beef (in Thai you can look it up) followed by sup or Pork (in Thai you can look it up) followed by the word sup.

In America you say "ground beef" because mincemeat is a sweet filling for making mincemeat pies at Christmas.

If you travel much to America or Thailand you would have known this. biggrin.png