Drone Licence

My mate has a drone and cannot find how to get a Licence for Thailand

Wrote to Thai Civil Aviation Authority and no answer after months

Anybody done this or have a serious reply he does not want to be illegal

Just use for real estate photography

As I understand it, drones have been recently been banned for recreational use. Flying commercially within Thailand (with the exception of pilots finishing a foreign route) is an occupation reserved for Thais.

The Thai CAA may not have written the regs yet, as they've been very busy trying to satisfy those pesky outsiders...

How are they going too define a drone???

Hell of a lot on sale at Pantip Plaza all shapes and sizes, some very small and not much different to a radio controlled model helicopter.

The issue, based on the government comments - specifically the junta, is apparently going to be covered under privacy laws and as such it can not have a camera on it. As to whether they outright ban them with or without cameras except for businesses such as realtors, etc. is still in the air (bad pun). biggrin.png

Don't worry about a license, there is none. There are a lot of remote control airplane enthusiast who fly one with no problem. Just make sure neighbors don't get scared that you are trying to spy on them and what not, so stick around and let them know what you are doing in case they are wondering why there is a drone with camera is flying so close/over their house.

My local rc club flies right beside a government building with large parking lot, no complaints from anyone.

There are three aspects that need consideration when /if legislation is brought in:

• The physical weight, anything large enough to do serious damage needs restrictions on who can operate it.
  • Privacy, the use of cameras needs control not only in preventing peeping toms, but also preventing commercial spying.
  • Another aspect is the radio frequency they operate on, many of these devices come out of China, mine cam with no certificate of conformity other than the "CE" (China Export) logo, it did not state the frequencies or maximum power so there is no way of checking if it complies with local radio regulations, short of putting it on a spectrum analyser.

Instead of burying it head in the sand why not consider what other governments are doing and bring in legislation on the same lines, more important is these devices need more technical information and certificates of conformity when being imported.

Edited by Basil B

And here - http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-RC-Quadcopters-c-1848.html

Thinking of getting the Eachine H8 mini for 486.04 Baht for practicing with first before investing too much.

Just got my H8 from Banggood on a $6 'Snap Deal'... inc' postage smile.png

post-159238-0-71332700-1432967454_thumb.

Edited by agogohome

There are three aspects that need consideration when /if legislation is brought in:

• The physical weight, anything large enough to do serious damage needs restrictions on who can operate it.
  • Privacy, the use of cameras needs control not only in preventing peeping toms, but also preventing commercial spying.
  • Another aspect is the radio frequency they operate on, many of these devices come out of China, mine cam with no certificate of conformity other than the "CE" (China Export) logo, it did not state the frequencies or maximum power so there is no way of checking if it complies with local radio regulations, short of putting it on a spectrum analyser.

Instead of burying it head in the sand why not consider what other governments are doing and bring in legislation on the same lines, more important is these devices need more technical information and certificates of conformity when being imported.

Assuming you haven't found another CE logo, the CE is a European Conformity declaration.

"Conformité Européenne" (Although there are alternative expansions, for some amazing reason the European bureaucrats did not manage to delvier a 1,000 page document in a zillion languages to completely define it).

The CE marking is the manufacturer's declaration that the product meets the requirements of the applicable EC directives.

Assuming you haven't found another CE logo, the CE is a European Conformity declaration.

"Conformité Européenne" (Although there are alternative expansions, for some amazing reason the European bureaucrats did not manage to delvier a 1,000 page document in a zillion languages to completely define it).

The CE marking is the manufacturer's declaration that the product meets the requirements of the applicable EC directives.

One needs to look closely at the logo...

post-20091-0-89228900-1432976684_thumb.j

The China export is intended to resemble the European CE Logo

One needs to look closely at the logo...

attachicon.gif15187.jpg

The China export is intended to resemble the European CE Logo

It would been useful to add the following from the wiki. Note the 'alleged' and 'misconception' part.

A very similar CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products.[17] However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception. The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008.[18] The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place. It had initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark, and was in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with European legislation

I had a DJI Phantom Vision II+. It was a heap of shit. It couldn't maintain FPV in populated areas. Loss of command control. The company gave crap support. I eventually got all my money back from Hobby Thai. Never again a DJI product. Non existent support. Poor technology. Maybe it works fine where there are no other people (cell phones)

Fly over my house at your peril. Had several, not appreciated. Precautions taken.thumbsup.gif

And what do you mean by that Rooo? Your going to get your slingshot out and try and take it down? That would be the worst thing safety wise you could do, maybe you will take out one propeller and the drone loses control and slams into your house or worse!

I own the only legal company that specializes in Aerial Photography on Koh Samui, I have been working with DJI (the world's largest manufacturer of 'drones') and I have recently got Koh Samui airport added to the 'No Fly Zone", meaning that within 1.5km of the airport the drone will not even take off. Even outside the 1.5km radius of the airport there are now height restrictions in place, yesterday I was at Secret Garden in Bangrak and my 'drone' would not go above 50 metres.

DJI_0032-Pano-2.jpg

DJI_0023-3.jpg

DJI02313.jpg

Fly over my house at your peril. Had several, not appreciated. Precautions taken.thumbsup.gif

And what do you mean by that Rooo? Your going to get your slingshot out and try and take it down? That would be the worst thing safety wise you could do, maybe you will take out one propeller and the drone loses control and slams into your house or worse!

I own the only legal company that specializes in Aerial Photography on Koh Samui, I have been working with DJI (the world's largest manufacturer of 'drones') and I have recently got Koh Samui airport added to the 'No Fly Zone", meaning that within 1.5km of the airport the drone will not even take off. Even outside the 1.5km radius of the airport there are now height restrictions in place, yesterday I was at Secret Garden in Bangrak and my 'drone' would not go above 50 metres.

DJI_0032-Pano-2.jpg

DJI_0023-3.jpg

DJI02313.jpg

My drone still flies, less than 1.5 km from airport. about 20 meters high at least. But sure it is not as advanced as yours.

My drone still flies, less than 1.5 km from airport. about 20 meters high at least. But sure it is not as advanced as yours.

It is a DJI specific feature, basically a download of GPS coordinates and height levels around the airports they have in the DJI database.

Will only affect DJI drones that have the firmware update and the feature enabled and the latest database downloaded. Basically prevents takeoff within the zone and lands the automatically drone if you fly into the zone.

Hopefully they will forget about enacting that law as it appears it would apply to RC aircraft as well as the multi-rotor drones. Would put a lot of limitations on thousands of Thai hobbyists.

Great free plug, congratulations , amazing pictures. As to what I mean, exactly what I said. I hate people invading my privacy, you have a licence great many others don't & I have no respect or concern for hem when they invade my privacy.As to my method? smile.png

Unfortunatly, my location is not a no fly zone, but a few smart folk being very intrusive. Spoils it for the others.

Edited by Rooo