Electrical Appliances

Andyjohn1234

Hi Guys

I'm moving over shortly from the UK - We're bringing quite a lot of personal effects and furniture with us.

Question - Will our UK kitchen appliances work in Thailand ?

We intend to bring Washing Machine, Dish Washer,

Large Fridge/Freezer, Microwave etc and an almost new

65" Smart TV.

We hadn't intended to emigrate for another few years and have recently purchased all of the above - Our circumstances have unexpectedly changed so we can move in a couple of months time.

We've got the property side of things sorted so we just need to know if the above appliance will work.

Big thanks

Andy

Shouldn't be any problem. Plug fittings might be different, but adaptors are cheap. Just remember, most places don't have an earthing wire.

Where you might have a problem is with customs. It's highly likely, in fact almost certain, that you will be stung for import duties - you might want to do a forum search on bringing in personal items. This has caused people a lot of grief in the past. Me included. I was able to avoid a hefty duty payment by doing something illegal, but that can't be discussed here.

Is your wife/partner Thai and have they been out of Thailand for more than a year, if so there SHOULD be on import duty.

I exported my home contents from the uk, they tried to hit me for TEA money saying they could not find my container, so I contacted the UK exporters and said that I wanted to claim on the insurance for lost cargo.

Next day the imported items turned up NO charge.

I don't know what they said to the receiving company but it worked.

Edited by edd

230 V, 50 Hz. Same in UK?

Adapters quite likely needed. UK is "special" whistling.gif

Might often be cheaper to cut and connect a suitable connector (fit for mounting).

Who is moving: "I" or "we" tongue.png

If "we" includes a Thai wife then there is generally a duty free import possible.

Tons of threads already,

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you buy extension leads like these. The UK 13 amp plugs fit without any adaptors but there is one problem to do with the fuse being on the negative side instead of positive ...............

or it might be ok if the extension lead or house supply is wired backwards which is quite common apparently.

post-2109-1433214054407_thumb.jpg

If you remove existing plugs just be aware that its hard to find any after market plugs that include an earth pin.

It used to be difficult but now see them all the time in places like homewroks, home pro and even my local hardware shop.

If you buy extension leads like these. The UK 13 amp plugs fit without any adaptors but there is one problem to do with the fuse being on the negative side instead of positive ...............

or it might be ok if the extension lead or house supply is wired backwards which is quite common apparently.

The fuse shouldn't be an issue as his UK 13A plug will be fused on the live side. My option would be to keep your UK plugs so your items are individually fused and just buy a multi national extension block or you can change your sockets to accept multiple plugs.