Property prices dropping

rocketboybkk

Buying property in Thailand is a mug's game. Lots of risk and very little reward. You can make a greater ROI by investing your money in bonds and renting. But fools are born everyday in the LOS aren't they?rolleyes.gif

alternatively you can buy in your home country and enjoy the rental return taking comfort that property ownership laws back home are a level playing field for everyone- not this two tier system they have herebah.gif .

plus the communal ownership laws in Thailand regarding condominiums is crap. I mean why bother?and just like the laws that are meant to be enforced out on the highways condominium laws are too difficult to properly enforce.

wouldn't even think of owning anything here.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several years ago, like 2005 I almost bought a place. My needs are modest. It would have been about 1 Mil baht ~35,000 USD depending on the exchange rate. I go to Thailand twice a year typically for holiday, once I stayed a bit longer than two months. Then I go back to my engineering contract work or my home. The idea of having a place was appealing. I pay a lot more percentage wise when I rent a hotel for a one week or two weeks because as most of you know, the weekly rates are not that great a discount. And since I often went during High season, having my own place would be that much more cost effective. And I have a few friends that I trust and would let them rent the place for a month or so when I am not there. I would charge just whatever it costs me for an average month. Great savings for them and it lowers my costs. But since I like to travel around Thailand when I go, I would end up paying for a hotel anyway in Phuket, Korat, Ko Samet or wherever I was going. Plus I just wasn't comfortable buying and trusting the locals while I was away. I would not have great value inside the place, just the usual 1 HD tv, minor kitchen appliance, DVD player etc. But I have seen too many nightmares about water supplies, so many vacant units the place cuts back on services, etc. Of course it would be fun to tell people here in the States that I own a condo in Thailand and I paid "1 million cash" for it.

Loads of words about nothing.

I bought a place here 15 years ago , I have no complaints.

apart from Jomtien is a bit more noisy now days. not a big deal.

My place has never been broken into, had no problems with the locals

no problem for water , electric , internet

The place is worth 3 times what I paid for it.

could sell next week for double what I paid for it, no problem

Most people who advise others, not to buy, don't do this, don't do that

have an axe to grind, (they made mistakes, but wont admit it )

they bought in the wrong place, paid to much, girlfriend ripped them off

and so on.

I will be buying more property in Thailand early next year. wai2.gif

So you think loads of words about nothing eh? Well you don't have to read them. And you certainly shouldn't be commenting negatively on it. Very rude and crude. You are free to do what you want.

You should read your own post again.

maybe you will understand the negativity in it yourself. coffee1.gif

No. You are just reading into it what you want. I said nothing negative except buying when not living there has possible issues. Air con stops and doesn't go back on to the setting you had in mind after power failures, mold build up, etc. If you want to classify a discourse as negative that's fine. You like what you do, so keep doing it

Buying property in Thailand is a mug's game. Lots of risk and very little reward. You can make a greater ROI by investing your money in bonds and renting. But fools are born everyday in the LOS aren't they?rolleyes.gif

alternatively you can buy in your home country and enjoy the rental return taking comfort that property ownership laws back home are a level playing field for everyone- not this two tier system they have herebah.gif .

plus the communal ownership laws in Thailand regarding condominiums is crap. I mean why bother?and just like the laws that are meant to be enforced out on the highways condominium laws are too difficult to properly enforce.

wouldn't even think of owning anything here.

asiantravel, I agree with you 100%.. plus plus, as a foreigner here you have no rights, after all the Thai's have very few rights.

I have bought in my home country where its safe to invest.

.... plus the communal ownership laws in Thailand regarding condominiums is crap. ....

In what way? They seem OK to me.

Just take a look at the foreigners that write to the lawyer here on TV about the problems they have with condo ownership and managment. Speaks volumes.coffee1.gif

I don't mean to belittle my fellow expat but it has to be said that Thailand doesn't always attract the smartest, the lure of a cheap destination (and all that entails) is often too much for the Brit with his UK house sale proceeds in his pocket and his new Ms. Right on his arm! Combine that with a condo market that is absolutely flooded with small cheap condo's/apartments and there's a percentage of buyers who are bound to have problems, statistically it's a given - those same people would however have similar problems, no matter which country they were in.

But for the half way thinking person who puts in some time and effort to research their condo. options, there's plenty of very safe and potentially lucrative long term opportunities out there that don't involve drama's or letters to the TVF lawyer. Sadly however this forum rarely his from the majority in this expat category, simply what would they wrte about: "I've been in my condo for four years now and I love it, it's a great location and the management here is superb, the unit has even increased in value by x%" - not exactly newsworthy and it'll never earn clicks or sell copies!

I don't mean to belittle my fellow expat but it has to be said that Thailand doesn't always attract the smartest, the lure of a cheap destination (and all that entails) is often too much for the Brit with his UK house sale proceeds in his pocket and his new Ms. Right on his arm! Combine that with a condo market that is absolutely flooded with small cheap condo's/apartments and there's a percentage of buyers who are bound to have problems, statistically it's a given - those same people would however have similar problems, no matter which country they were in.

But for the half way thinking person who puts in some time and effort to research their condo. options, there's plenty of very safe and potentially lucrative long term opportunities out there that don't involve drama's or letters to the TVF lawyer. Sadly however this forum rarely his from the majority in this expat category, simply what would they wrte about: "I've been in my condo for four years now and I love it, it's a great location and the management here is superb, the unit has even increased in value by x%" - not exactly newsworthy and it'll never earn clicks or sell copies!

I guess you are the smart expat and all those people who had problems were dummies. A bit condescending don't you think?

You can do all the research in the world but sometimes that isn't enough especially in a country where the rules are stacked against you.

All up it is easier to rent really and keep a house in your home country as a bolthole.

I guess you are the smart expat and all those people who had problems were dummies. A bit condescending don't you think?

You can do all the research in the world but sometimes that isn't enough especially in a country where the rules are stacked against you.

All up it is easier to rent really and keep a house in your home country as a bolthole.

Not condescending at all, simply factual! What I said is that there's two groups, one that you hear from constantly on TV and those that you never hear from because they have nothing to complain about. Having lived previously in a good quality 80 unit condo building in Muang, neither I nor any of my friends neighbors that lived there had anything to complain about plus we all made money on the sale of our units,

Not condescending at all, simply factual! What I said is that there's two groups, one that you hear from constantly on TV and those that you never hear from because they have nothing to complain about. Having lived previously in a good quality 80 unit condo building in Muang, neither I nor any of my friends neighbors that lived there had anything to complain about plus we all made money on the sale of our units,

There will always be two groups that goes without saying.

But there are way too many people in the unhappy group for my way of thinking.

And sure you can certainly reduce your risk by research and good common sense but still who needs the headache.

There is no risk in renting and plenty of upside. Peace of mind. You can get up and leave anytime with a couple of weeks notice.

Why anyone should want to buy property here is a mystery to me.

Maybe the bubble is slowly popping.

It's only artificially low interest rates that is preventing this turning into a disaster

Disaster for whom? The guys that thought they'd make a killing buying property in LOS?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

If property prices come down significantly, hotel prices SHOULD come down and that would be a GREAT thing for Pattaya.

Of course, being LOS hotel prices might go up instead. Just have to wait and see.

And sure you can certainly reduce your risk by research and good common sense but still who needs the headache.

There is no risk in renting and plenty of upside. Peace of mind. You can get up and leave anytime with a couple of weeks notice.

How can there be too many people in the unhappy group when the groups can't be measured and you never hear from the happy group!

And yes there is a downside to renting thanks to that damned stupid phrase that expats like to toss around at will, "never bring more money into Thailand than you can afford to loose, what an absolute load of nonsense and tosh.

When I cam here in 2004 I rented for the first year and bought in the second, that at a time when GBP/THB was around 75. Had I kept on renting I would almost certainly never has brought that money into the country, that means that not only would I have thrown away rent each month, I would have lost 50% of the value of my home currency just by leaving it in a nice safe currency in a nice safe country!

How can there be too many people in the unhappy group when the groups can't be measured and you never hear from the happy group!

And yes there is a downside to renting thanks to that damned stupid phrase that expats like to toss around at will, "never bring more money into Thailand than you can afford to loose, what an absolute load of nonsense and tosh.

When I cam here in 2004 I rented for the first year and bought in the second, that at a time when GBP/THB was around 75. Had I kept on renting I would almost certainly never has brought that money into the country, that means that not only would I have thrown away rent each month, I would have lost 50% of the value of my home currency just by leaving it in a nice safe currency in a nice safe country!

Unusual circumstances...wouldn't you agree?

Now you get less Baht to the Pound and the properties are often smaller. i.e, less for your money.

No one is suggesting that there was never a good time to buy. But your success is based on favourable exchange rates, rather than a bouyant property market. Now there is a glut of properties built on the premise that the Russians would keep coming and buying. Poor infrastructure. Shaky legal system.

Why would we not hear from the 'happy group'? Only unhappy people browse the forum?

In the ten years that you've had your property, my London properties have also appreciated considerably. Not only that but they create real income. One bedroom properties realising 70,000+ per month at a minimum. Month in, month out. Never vacant.

Pattaya properties bring in next to nothing unless you have them on a corporate contract. Can't imagine that they are worth the hassle.

So for the people who use them as their main residence and are happy to live there, profit is secondary. But those who hope to make a ROI on renting them out or by making a quick sale are likely to come unstuck.

Exactly,can up and go any time,only thing that keeps me sane here. The "happy" ones are tied,property that will never sell(as much as they think it will)live in a cocooned world,nothing but nothing must interrupt this illusion of peace and tranquility an illusion,they are trapped like it or not .Freedom of movement is denied,and I could not remotely even imagine anyone wanting to do a fair bit of their three score and ten mired in this hole

Even the gushing developers self praise on their imaginary out of this world luxury developments is a lie,just their descriptive and artistic terms are a means to cheat and lie their way to rob you

Everyone is out to steal from a foreigner.

I've never seen a property bargain in Thailand.

Sellers doubled their asking price when they saw a foreigner in the picture.

Foreigners were already trying to sell at double the going rate(because they had purchased at double price).

Even my wife tried to work in a 500,000bht commission for herself in any property deal on the cards.

I wish I were still renting!

Is that negative enough for you.

You made some bad choice's in Thailand.

Dump the bad choices and move on

You may be happier then. wai2.gif

So you think loads of words about nothing eh? Well you don't have to read them. And you certainly shouldn't be commenting negatively on it. Very rude and crude. You are free to do what you want.

No. You are just reading into it what you want. I said nothing negative except buying when not living there has possible issues. Air con stops and doesn't go back on to the setting you had in mind after power failures, mold build up, etc. If you want to classify a discourse as negative that's fine. You like what you do, so keep doing it

Calling the locals thieves, ( in a roundabout way ) is negative.

Nightmares about water supply. Is negative.

Cutting back on services Is negative.

Never had any of the above, after 15 years.

maybe you should get information away from the bar areas of Thailand.

And above all.

Please, please, remember the three rules of buying property.

what were they now ?

They are often ignored buy most disgruntled property owners all round the world.

You chose not to buy , fine.

window shoppers never do.

Of course it would be fun to tell people here in the States that I own a condo in Thailand and I paid "1 million cash" for it.

Have a nice day wai2.gif

.... plus the communal ownership laws in Thailand regarding condominiums is crap. ....

In what way? They seem OK to me.

You only need to study the differences between say the Strata titles system in New South Wales Australia which started in 1961 and compare it to the Thai Condominium Act regarding a whole host of issues. For example such as how the Strata titles system deals swiftly with delinquent fellow owners. If you’re buying a property in a building with other people at the very least you need a cost-effective and powerful way to resolve disputes which just isn't there with the Thai Condominium Act.

Why anyone should want to buy property here is a mystery to me.

Maybe the bubble is slowly popping.

I will tell you why

MY Purchase of 8 years ago has obviously saved me 8 years rent, hence the property owes me nothing now, so pure profit.Why do you not grasp this?????

Exactly!
We’ve owned our hose now for almost 9 years, and are now at about break even with what it would have cost to rent a similar place.
Bonus, we still own the house, and it’s gotta be worth something, yes? thumbsup.gif

I never wanted to have anything that kept me in Thailand on a permanent basis,house inc.ever,the disgusting thing is I'm still here,but travelled extensively up until a fair few months ago just seeing if I stopped the travels would it improve my view of Thailand,fact is it dimmed it considerably,thank you Thailand for the opportunity to travel exclusively SA Aussie,Europe west coast USA etc etc etc,not that it was wanderlust just an excuse to get the hell out of Thailand for a while. Now back less than 24 hours ago from look-see Algarve,now that place impressed me ,wonderful,but anything would after this crock of shit,and now making plans for final departure.

Here I rent,it 4/5 bedroom,gated community,pool,well furnished,nice place,pay just a small proportion of my income on it,a one bed condo/shop house/,studio would have had the rope out im sure,seeing if this would improve my outlook on Thailand,got the toys,comps etc,but still want out,but the bloody baggage weighs heavily. After my return here yesterday I would gladly got another couple of cases out,paid the overcharge and pissed off immediately

Everything comes to a finish,this place too hopefully sooner than later

Plus I have the money I would have used on purchase here,last look even with stock market going down up 186% last 3 years

You lucky you are rich, same same me

I will tell you why

MY Purchase of 8 years ago has obviously saved me 8 years rent, hence the property owes me nothing now, so pure profit.Why do you not grasp this?????

Exactly!
We’ve owned our hose now for almost 9 years, and are now at about break even with what it would have cost to rent a similar place.
Bonus, we still own the house, and it’s gotta be worth something, yes? thumbsup.gif

I never wanted to have anything that kept me in Thailand on a permanent basis,house inc.ever,the disgusting thing is I'm still here,but travelled extensively up until a fair few months ago just seeing if I stopped the travels would it improve my view of Thailand,fact is it dimmed it considerably,thank you Thailand for the opportunity to travel exclusively SA Aussie,Europe west coast USA etc etc etc,not that it was wanderlust just an excuse to get the hell out of Thailand for a while. Now back less than 24 hours ago from look-see Algarve,now that place impressed me ,wonderful,but anything would after this crock of shit,and now making plans for final departure.

Here I rent,it 4/5 bedroom,gated community,pool,well furnished,nice place,pay just a small proportion of my income on it,a one bed condo/shop house/,studio would have had the rope out im sure,seeing if this would improve my outlook on Thailand,got the toys,comps etc,but still want out,but the bloody baggage weighs heavily. After my return here yesterday I would gladly got another couple of cases out,paid the overcharge and pissed off immediately

Everything comes to a finish,this place too hopefully sooner than later

Plus I have the money I would have used on purchase here,last look even with stock market going down up 186% last 3 years

You lucky you are rich, same same me

After Hughie Green I never heard of you again

Every foreigner is the smart expat, and every Thai wife is different.

Until the moment when the Thai wife makes her move, then she isn't different, and he isn't smart.

Foreigners were already trying to sell at double the going rate(because they had purchased at double price).

Even my wife tried to work in a 500,000bht commission for herself in any property deal on the cards.

Not sure I could be much happier, age 60 cycling every day, sleeping with a university student, great son, plenty of money.

Because I'm not stupid, and can tell reality from fantasy, doesn't mean I'm unhappy.

Although I have to agree with you, stupid and poor people often lead happier lives than intelligent and wealthy people.

Not sure I could be much happier, age 60 cycling every day, sleeping with a university student, great son, plenty of money.

Because I'm not stupid, and can tell reality from fantasy, doesn't mean I'm unhappy.

Although I have to agree with you, stupid and poor people often lead happier lives than intelligent and wealthy people.

Had you said poor people often lead happier lives than wealthy people I'd have given you a like.

Seems that wealthy people must have more, more, more and always worried someone will steal it.

Now you get less Baht to the Pound and the properties are often smaller. i.e, less for your money.

No one is suggesting that there was never a good time to buy. But your success is based on favourable exchange rates, rather than a bouyant property market. Now there is a glut of properties built on the premise that the Russians would keep coming and buying. Poor infrastructure. Shaky legal system.

Why would we not hear from the 'happy group'? Only unhappy people browse the forum?

In the ten years that you've had your property, my London properties have also appreciated considerably. Not only that but they create real income. One bedroom properties realising 70,000+ per month at a minimum. Month in, month out. Never vacant.

Pattaya properties bring in next to nothing unless you have them on a corporate contract. Can't imagine that they are worth the hassle.

So for the people who use them as their main residence and are happy to live there, profit is secondary. But those who hope to make a ROI on renting them out or by making a quick sale are likely to come unstuck.

But the discussion is about property prices dropping in Thailand and not a comparison with London. And yes, unusual circumstances indeed but even ten years ago, that same mantra was being sung about not bringing money into Thailand blah blah. As it turned out I made out on the exchange rate but I also made a healthy 35% plus profit on market values, following the floods in BKK in 2012, had I continued to rent the opposite would have been true and the loss substantial. And yes again, the places I have bought here are my primary residence.

But the discussion is about property prices dropping in Thailand and not a comparison with London. And yes, unusual circumstances indeed but even ten years ago, that same mantra was being sung about not bringing money into Thailand blah blah. As it turned out I made out on the exchange rate but I also made a healthy 35% plus profit on market values, following the floods in BKK in 2012, had I continued to rent the opposite would have been true and the loss substantial. And yes again, the places I have bought here are my primary residence.

Just wait till someone opens an all night karaoke next door and no one will buy your property.

And there was me thinking, you were just one more grumpy old man

with an Axe to grind on Thai visa, over being burned over property issues

Hay enjoy your life.

i still like the palace and the people, don't care to-much for the

nutty expats, frothing at the mouth like rabid dogs over property mistakes they have made in Thailand.

Your words not mine coffee1.gif

Bye wai2.gif

Just wait till someone opens an all night karaoke next door and no one will buy your property.

I bought in such a location which makes that (or similar) impossible, although that was the greatest fear of my next door neighbor juts before I bought.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy if the people who bought to live and to make a life there are doing well.

What I am not impressed by are the developments driven by nothing else but greed and stupidity. Caring little for the environment.

How anyone can put any worth on anything in this over simplified hell hole beats me. You go looking around every corner at whatever price tag anyone wishes to put on it? Because you have bought means nothing,just took their chances at nothing happening to this idyllic so called paradise,yet

Knock on the land registry door and that will upset them at whatever prospects they have in mind(have none, OK for whatever period that determines ones stay here in paradise (spew me)

All this does is emphasis there are people not particularly risking all,but a fair amount in a third world bolt hole that would not hold a candle to first world environment or customs. If ones mindset is comfortable and yes finding a kindred spirit to a third world shithole element ,..fine.

Never disclose where my present location is elsewhere on the travels,not snobbish,but the pitying remarks pour fourth. Problems for me are baggage,not buying some flop house or mansion,its just the pathetic individuals buying this or that,thinking the jackpot was won,you chose the shit hole as a permanent stay, more fool you

With comments like those LL1 I shudder to think what parts and aspects of Thailand you've been exposed to because I can't even begin to relate to them. Sure I understand there are parts of the country that would fit your description but a person who grew up in the west would have to be retarded to go and live there when there is so much much more on offer. And whilst this is not a case of calling my baby ugly, I will give you two examples:

We live thirty minutes out of Chiang Mai on the very edge of what must be one of the most beautiful areas of the country. Last week, Mrs CM did some research and found us two new places for lunch, both within twenty minutes of where we live. The first was a small resort located in the middle of one of the most breathtaking settings I've ever seen anywhere, the restaurant is sited right in the middle of a raging set of rapids/waterfall which was in full flood when we visited - lunch for the two of us was under 600 baht.

http://www.sukantara.com/

The second, three days later, was at a 6 star hotel resort built on the edge of a cliff/atop a mountain, the views and the setting were absolutely awesome. Again, lunch cost us around 500 baht and was excellent food.

http://www.panviman.com/chiangmai/gallery.html

Afterwards, on both occasions, we returned to our home and continued to work on our gardens, a rai of land that we've turned into a thing of real beauty, in a very scenic location and that gives us much pleasure and satisfaction, all of which cost me under 70k Pounds that I don't want back.

So when you write how much of a "shit hole" this place is (twice) and what a "hell hole" it is to live here, I can't relate to what you've written and only guess that you must have made some very very poor decisions somewhere along the line to have landed in an area of the country that has left you with that sort of impression.