Expats -- how much are you tipping food delivery people?

Jingthing

I got new york pizza delivered and it was exactly 400 so i didnt tip him. He walked off very angry shakeing his head.

That says alot.

I've never tried that on a delivery here.

But on the other hand, New York Pizza probably get an unusually high percentage of American customers and you know how we are with tipping culture!

So finally you admit it are the Americans that are to blame for this.

. Didn't you read reply earlier, American Society is to Blame, Geezus. 555555555

Ehrmm, no I didn't, but maybe you can point me to the post where Jingthing said something that sound even remotely like that.

Edited by Anthony5

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got new york pizza delivered and it was exactly 400 so i didnt tip him. He walked off very angry shakeing his head.

That says alot.

But on the other hand, New York Pizza probably get an unusually high percentage of American customers and you know how we are with tipping culture!

. Didn't you read reply earlier, American Society is to Blame, Geezus. 555555555

Ehrmm, no I didn't, but maybe you can point me to the post where Jingthing said something that sound even remotely like that.

. There's 10 minutes i' ll never get back from looking for it, conver. Started at #96, JT did a Like on my Comment, it wasn't JT it was a tie in to another post.

That says alot.

. There's 10 minutes i' ll never get back from looking for it, conver. Started at #96, JT did a Like on my Comment, it wasn't JT it was a tie in to another post.

So because another poster says that the American society is to blame, or something in that line, makes my comment to a poster ( Jingthing) who has turned and twisted himself through all corners in this thread, NOT to admit that it is an American thing, ridiculous.

OK, I got it.

If anyone wonders about the usefulness of the IGNORE feature ... now you know. facepalm.gif

On the topic, it's been interesting reading some of the different perspectives about this.

I didn't expect it would change my own tipping behavior for food delivery people, and it really won't.

I would never consider not tipping them anything and I don't really feel the need to tip much more as the people are looking OK with it.

I understand the idea of "spoiling" the local tipping culture by overtipping, and I get that some people would think even modest tips for this spoils the culture ... but I think there is a reasonable middle path for this.

Edited by Jingthing

If anyone wonders about the usefulness of the IGNORE feature ... now you know. facepalm.gif

Strange that you see my post, as I was declared on ignore since end of last year already?

Ignoring comments doesn't make your drivel anything more valuable or credible.thumbsup.gif

I don't tip because it's an American custom, I tip because it's a nice thing to do. I consider it part of my contribution to the local economy. It's the same reason that I try to buy things from the local shops instead of Big C when I can. I might pay a few more baht, but it's pennies to me and might put food on the table for the woman running the store. I also put all of my coins (and sometimes more) into the Father Ray boxes at local stores. What am I going to do with a ton of baht coins laying around the house? The charities could really use them.

Also, the Thai friends that I go out with always tip wherever we go. They agree that it's a nice gesture. These are not hi-so Thais or girls living off their boyfriend's money, they work for every baht they get. I intentionally waited to see what they tipped before I laid down my money the first time we went out. I did that because 1) I wanted to see if tipping was appropriate here and 2) I didn't want to look like a big-spending, obnoxious prat if I threw down 200 baht when they were only tipping 20. Turns out, 10% is about right.

I don't tip because it's an American custom, I tip because it's a nice thing to do. I consider it part of my contribution to the local economy. It's the same reason that I try to buy things from the local shops instead of Big C when I can. I might pay a few more baht, but it's pennies to me and might put food on the table for the woman running the store. I also put all of my coins (and sometimes more) into the Father Ray boxes at local stores. What am I going to do with a ton of baht coins laying around the house? The charities could really use them.

Also, the Thai friends that I go out with always tip wherever we go. They agree that it's a nice gesture. These are not hi-so Thais or girls living off their boyfriend's money, they work for every baht they get. I intentionally waited to see what they tipped before I laid down my money the first time we went out. I did that because 1) I wanted to see if tipping was appropriate here and 2) I didn't want to look like a big-spending, obnoxious prat if I threw down 200 baht when they were only tipping 20. Turns out, 10% is about right.

Shame you were doing real good till then

Ah yes, I remember fondly browned skinned natives falling to their knees to wai and thank me profusely for not tipping them.

That is, before the bloody Americans showed up and ruined everything.

Edited by 55Jay

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't want to embarrass my friends by tipping if it wasn't appropriate (having just got off the plane, I wasn't sure) or by tipping more than they could afford. On my own, I tend to tip a little higher, but face is a big thing around here and these are my friends, so I didn't want to offend anyone my first time out. Is that a problem?

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't want to embarrass my friends by tipping if it wasn't appropriate (having just got off the plane, I wasn't sure) or by tipping more than they could afford. On my own, I tend to tip a little higher, but face is a big thing around here and these are my friends, so I didn't want to offend anyone my first time out. Is that a problem?

Just to start

Have you ever considered your friends tip because you are there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but when they are out alone or with family they dont tip ?

That big old face thing when with the Farangs !!!!!! . i bet not

Who are you to say 10% is about right, ?

Thais will not tip 10 % if its a very large bill ?

Edited by onemorechang

Just to start

Have you ever considered your friends tip because you are there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, as we got to know each other a little better, I asked my friend that very question. She said that some Thais do not tip. But she considers it to be the right thing to do, so she does. She believes in giving extra for good service. And yes, I've seen her tip around 10% no matter the size of the bill. I'm not saying 10% is correct morally or even culturally, but amongst my particular set of Thai friends, it's the average.

I think you might be painting all Thais with the same broad brush. Generosity is not a given, obviously, but there are some very gracious and generous people here. Luckily, I'm friends with a few them. This girl doesn't have much, but what she has, she shares. I find that commendable and it makes me even happier to spread the relative wealth that I have.

Just to start

Well, as we got to know each other a little better, I asked my friend that very question. She said that some Thais do not tip. But she considers it to be the right thing to do, so she does. She believes in giving extra for good service. And yes, I've seen her tip around 10% no matter the size of the bill. I'm not saying 10% is correct morally or even culturally, but amongst my particular set of Thai friends, it's the average.

I think you might be painting all Thais with the same broad brush. Generosity is not a given, obviously, but there are some very gracious and generous people here. Luckily, I'm friends with a few them. This girl doesn't have much, but what she has, she shares. I find that commendable and it makes me even happier to spread the relative wealth that I have.

I dont think you have a real understanding of how deep and how important

the face thing is in Thiland. there will alway be the few % exceptions to the rule.

But the norm is not what you think it is about tipping.

Face is a real big deal for them ( Babies IMO for this face thing )

If you spend a lot of time with the Hi so and the Low so you will get it.

Would it not be better to give the tip to the guy in the street with no arms and legs,

when you leave the food place your in, Yes or No ?

Please remenber i tip the delivery guy 40 baht, because he may well die bringing me my dinner.

Edited by onemorechang

Would it not be better to give the tip to the guy in the street with no arms and legs,

when you leave the food place your in, Yes or No ?

If all we're concerned about now is what's better, then wouldn't it be better to do both?

Decent people tip. Thai or foreigner. This idea that Thais do not or never have tipped is nonsense..as with all things customs change over time..tips are becoming more expected...nothing to do with Americans..

Ha ha, oh dear. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

What a thing to say.

Very disrespectful of you to say this about the poor people of Thailand, not all are rich like you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by onemorechang

I tip 10 to 15% and at a restaurant with two or more people at least 100 THB. I never pay a taxi driver less than 100 THB and sometimes 50 to 100 THB above meter is he drives good and does not have one of those loud mufflers, PS also does not have Thai music breaking my ear drums.

I have pretty good retirement and enjoy being generous with the people who are trying to make a living, little regard for the profession/mafia beggars.

Is this a great country or what ??

Regards tipping for massage...my Thai gf when faced with a 100 Baht massage bill would tip 100 to the masseuse.

In a restaurant with a bill of 500 Baht she will tip 20 Baht.

Perhaps something to do with the personal nature of the service?