Expats -- how much are you tipping food delivery people?

Jingthing

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are talking to a former pizza delivery guy.

First off....you get your pizza hot...and get if first....if I know you, and you tip well.

Otherwise, I might remove some sausages and replace them with (insert imagination).

Thing is...to be discreet. Pizza deliver boys are low end. They make money on speed, a smile, and an unruffled product.

(I was kidding about replacing the sausages. Actually, I would pick 3 or 4 slices of pepperoni off and rearrange the whole deal (for a pizza going to a known cheapskate customer)

Then I would add your extra pepperoni to the pizza going to my customer that tips.

Edited by slipperylobster

First off....you get your pizza hot...and get if first....if I know you, and you tip well.

Otherwise, I might remove some sausages and replace them with (insert imagination).

Thing is...to be discreet. Pizza deliver boys are low end. They make money on speed, a smile, and an unruffled product.

(I was kidding about replacing the sausages. Actually, I would pick 3 or 4 slices of pepperoni off and rearrange the whole deal (for a pizza going to a known cheapskate customer)

Then I would add your extra pepperoni to the pizza going to my customer that tips.

We usually avoid delivery food unless we know the restaurant well. I've always had fears of the food coming from some rancid hole in the wall which passes as a kitchen.

Now that you tell me the delivery boy/girl has their filthy hands in the box rearranging the food, I will never order delivery again.

I try hard to not to tip. As I said to my Thai wife "You don't get rich by giving money away". I am very proud to say she is just as tight as me.

As for food delivery. we never use that service as our food is far superior.

So I gather you are a Rich man now then ???

Of course you have a big pile of cash from all the money you didnt tip to people in your lifetime.

Ps. What food is far superior btw , im curious.

Honestly, I hate tipping for a commodity.

When my satisfaction depends on the person's good or exceptional performance, yes, I tip and sometimes even very good.

But for driving a pizza around?

Is it an award for not falling off the motorcycle?

. Cmon People we get enough Bad Press, is a dollar or so gonna change your Life...

And the same people who can't squeeze out a small tip are the ones who proclaim that the Chinese are the ones who don't spend any money in Thailand.

I don't order out that much, but would probably give Baht 40 minimum or use the 10% rule rounded off. If you want to be cynical, one of the definitions of TIP is "to ensure promptness," which might affect future deliveries.

Aside from that, these guys are making the effort to earn some money and I doubt they're pulling in much salary.

I would prefer not belonging to the group of farang affectionately classified as 'kee niaow," and I would feel like a pile of kee if I didn't tip something. In our home countries, if you didn't tip in a restaurant or for delivery, you'd probably get an earful. It's a big part of the server's income and maybe even more so here.

Since most deliveries (e.g. Pizza Co, Pizza Hut, S&P, McDs etc) now add on 40 to 50 Baht for delivery I stopped tipping them the usual 20 Baht. But I do let them keep any coins.

20-50 Baht. It is not going to break me and I know it is going to the driver

unlike restaurants that add a 10% gratuity to the bill and then pocket the

service charge passing nothing on to the staff. I tend not to patronize

these restaurants that include a service charge on principle.

We usually avoid delivery food unless we know the restaurant well. I've always had fears of the food coming from some rancid hole in the wall which passes as a kitchen.

Now that you tell me the delivery boy/girl has their filthy hands in the box rearranging the food, I will never order delivery again.

"Now that you tell me the delivery boy/girl has their filthy hands in the box rearranging the food, I will never order delivery again."

You do realize in the west if you're considered a rude and penny-pinching customer, in some restaurants the kitchen staff & waiters add special ingredients to your food that include traceable DNA.

Typical "delivery boy" mentality.

Another reason why I don't tip.

Infact people like you, and sadly they exist, as shown and exposed, tampering with peoples' food is such a gross pastime.

Though luckily the people will never know your dirty fingers have been toying with their food.

When my satisfaction depends on the person's good or exceptional performance, yes, I tip and sometimes even very good.

Maybe a reward for not getting killed delivering a Bt300 pizza or fried chicken. Delivery person is probably only making minimum wage Bt300/day. A Bt20 tip goes a long way.

Yes a 20 baht tip goes a long way. There are more than likely several deliveries and other tips. I believe they get a percentage of the delivery cost the Restaurant pays. That is if it is a delivery service. Pizza McDonald's Burger King I believe have their own delivery drivers. They also deserve a tip.

I think I'd tip maybe 20 baht if it was for a pizza only 1Km away (maybe double if it was in a busy place like BKK where travelling is a chore). A Honda wave doesn't cost much to run, and with several dozen customers a day that would add up to something reasonable assuming that they're getting at least a base wage like a salesman might.

I might tip very handsomely if I know and like the person (and if they're prepared to give me priority and if I'm too lazy to go there myself and want instant gratification then I should be prepared to pay extra).

The problem I find though is that the receivers tend to get used to your behaviour, so I don't keep it the same. Sometimes it's modest, sometimes it's overly generous, sometimes I just do something excessive on a whim then get tight for a while which averages out. People like the gamble.

I don't like the percent based tip idea though, I can't work out why if I order a bottle of water or a bottle of Dom Perignon (yeah, like I do that every day) why it would make a difference to time and materials of the delivery person.

Since most deliveries (e.g. Pizza Co, Pizza Hut, S&P, McDs etc) now add on 40 to 50 Baht for delivery I stopped tipping them the usual 20 Baht. But I do let them keep any coins.

I don't use big chains, but do you know for a fact the drivers are getting all that money?

Is that all their getting?

This being Thailand, I doubt any of this is regulated.

Also of course how can we know the specific policies of all businesses.

Anyway, I have not ever not tipped these guys something.

20 baht is the minimum even on a small order. A 10 coin I think would be rude.

For those who don't tip at all, are you noticing any negative reactions to that?

I would still tip these guys but I'm curious if they really expect it ... as I said in my OP, I'm surprised by the sometimes surprised look on their faces to getting my nothing special tips.

Yes I know the tipping culture here is different. Like in basic shophouse restaurants and certainly street food a tip isn't really expected and for the most part I've gone local with that. But some "guilt" things I can't shake ... this is probably one of them, it seems a bigger deal driving a meal to a house than schlepping it to a table. Also haircuts. I can't not tip haircut people.

Edited by Jingthing

These guys don't make that much, let loose the purse strings

+1...not a easy job especially in Pattaya, busy roads and poorly marked streets.

It's arguably hazardous. They might not accept an order during a storm but a storm could happen after they leave. My place is easy to find but good point about hard to find places.

Edited by Jingthing

This 10% tip should also apply to a massage too! so if you have an oil massage for 200 baht then at the end you perhaps would be generous to give the lady ( or man..) a 20 baht tip.

But now we have farang giving a 100 baht tip which not only is ridiculous but now all of the Thai ladies will expect it! causing big problems in Pattaya.

C.S wai2.gif ( your Thai Visa friend... ) x

My girlfriend insists on a flat rate 20 baht tip regardless the size of the bill, personally i have never understood the concept of tipping someone to do the job they are supposed to do.

I really don't get tipping people for doing their job. I really don't care how much they make. As for delivery if it is a service, they charge a lot anyway. If it is a chain fast food place, they add it in the bill. There is no way that I would pay a tip on top of a service charge. I pay exact amount and I am certain that I get the same quality of service and friendly greetings as the morons paying 20+ baht. I think I want to be a delivery driver if there are enough fools tipping 20 baht each. 20 deliveries a night + salary would make them earn more than most teachers.

. Cmon People we get enough Bad Press, is a dollar or so gonna change your Life...

And the same people who can't squeeze out a small tip are the ones who proclaim that the Chinese are the ones who don't spend any money in Thailand.

I don't order out that much, but would probably give Baht 40 minimum or use the 10% rule rounded off. If you want to be cynical, one of the definitions of TIP is "to ensure promptness," which might affect future deliveries.

Aside from that, these guys are making the effort to earn some money and I doubt they're pulling in much salary.

I would prefer not belonging to the group of farang affectionately classified as 'kee niaow," and I would feel like a pile of kee if I didn't tip something. In our home countries, if you didn't tip in a restaurant or for delivery, you'd probably get an earful. It's a big part of the server's income and maybe even more so here.

I think you need to change it to home Country I think the majority of us on TV don't come from a society who deliberately underpays restaurant staff and expects them to make it up from tips. Most of Europe only tip of the feel it is deserved.

If paying a delivery charge, as you are with the bid delivery shops Food By Phone Food Panda Tasty etc. etc. or even S&P you get a delivery person whose job it is to do deliveries. Only Au Bon Pain really bucked the system (at least a couple years ago) and used their on staff persons to double for deliveries. Even then they gave staff 20 Baht at least, and charged customers 40.

Restaurants sell to the delivery services companies at a price lower than they sell in their restaurants. So the delivery shops make a bit there. Then they also mark it up so the delivery shops make a bit more. Then they charge a small fee for the delivery. So the delivery shops are making more than 40 Baht on a delivery - closer to 70 or 80. On large orders, more. The workers get some benefits if they are full time in addition to petrol allowance.

I see no reason to tip a professional delivery shop.

This is related to the topic that began the thread but not directly.

The farang oriented super near me introduced a 40 Baht delivery fee recently for what had been a free service for nearby deliveries. I had always tipped the person 40 Baht regardless of the value of the food delivered. Since it has always been an employee who makes the delivery, I understand that that employee is not available to the store when a delivery is made and I can understand why it might require a special fee for a special service to me, yet the super doesn't provide a delivery vehicle. I questioned the delivery person who reluctantly said that he received 20 of the 40 Baht fee which reassured me that there was some sense of fairness. I still continue to tip, usually 40 Baht because I see the same person during my frequent trips to their store. It provides recognition and an exchange of pleasantries which adds a pleasure to the experience of living here, even if its basis is a "paid for" one, but this doesn't relate to the question of the person who initiated the thread. There is no indication that the poster ever sees the pizza delivery person again.

I've only had one experience with pizza delivery and that was too far back for me to remember the amount of the tip or how I felt about it.

From some of the earlier posts on this thread, it appears from the viewpoint of the delivery person that tipping is a form of bribery for better service than what might be afforded others.

From my perspective, a tip is elective which I think the originator who started the thread has questions of fairness and how do the rest of us handle this issue of fairness to ourselves and to the delivery person.

In many restaurants, the waiter/waitress does nothing more than deliver the food after you have made a selection. Many of us are glad to pay extra (a tip) for service that makes the food experience more enjoyable (smiles, unexpected courtesies, taking photo, etc.). However, there are many people whose work in a general restaurant or an exclusive pizza making establishment that adds to that experience such as the kitchen personnel who have an impact on how good your food is and how quickly it is ready for delivery.

In my thinking a tip is an award that does beyond an profuse thank you. It probably isn't how the delivery person sees it or how they are can perceive it if the business organization that initiates the delivery pays the person nothing or practicality nothing.

Let me be upfront about the motivation of this reply - It is my attitude which comes from this: In some states of the US, wealthy and highly profitable corporations can legally pay people who regularly receive tips as little of $2.17 an hour (67 baht an hour), because YOU can expected to pay them 15% of the cost of whatever you ordered (an unwritten surcharge if you like). Other employees must be paid at least $8-9 (248 baht) which is so far below the cost of living that some US cities have voluntarily raised the minimum to $15 an hour (468 baht). The lowly paid tip employee must pay US federal income tax on the 15% even if YOU did not give them a 15% tip (because it is assumed that they received it). Obviously, this practice encourages many creative work arounds. Fortunately, the US tax system, like the Thai tax system requires little or no tax payment for those at the very bottom of the income scale.

My attitude relates to the original post only is that business owners (like small business owners/large high profit corporations everywhere) are unlikely to pay their delivery people much, if anything. It's up to you even though those business advertise that it is one of "their" services.

Thailand has a tipping culture.

We all come from countries with different tipping cultures.

The tipping culture in the USA might be the most bizarre ... now 15 percent on a restaurant bill is considered mean and not tipping can be reacted to in extreme ways.

Thai workers in Pattaya mix with a lot of these foreign tipping cultures and change their perceptions of at least what foreigners are going to do.

So it's a confused situation here.

Edited by Jingthing

No , Thailand has not a tipping culture, or at least it used to be that way until Americans introduced it .

In my country we never tip the pizza delivery guy , but he's already on a good salary (it's Norway ) .

Here in Pattaya I sometimes tip 20 baht , if the pizza is 200 . But the driver does not expect a tip from locals ordering food.

If a company adds a service charge on top of the bill, then they have received their tip (regardless of service). I do not add to that. If a company adds a delivery charge, then I generally do not tip. The driver/delivery person has already been paid. It was added to my bill regardless of the quality of delivery service given. Exceptions are if it starts raining after I ordered and the delivery person comes anyway. He or she will be rewarded appropriately.