How about if IHOP, Denny's, Fuddruckers, Chili's came to LOS

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how much I missed certain places when I just moved to different States here in the US, but really - do you guys want the obesity problems that the US has right now? That is what those foods will bring to the LOS if they franchise out there.

ermm.gif

Pancakes, waffles, omelettes and such are "junk food garbage" in your opinion???

Most people would call those normal breakfast entrees. Because that's the kinds of food we're mostly talking about above, particularly in regards to Denny's and IHOP.

When made in IHOPor Denny's, yes, junk food garbage. If you really think those are good restaurants, I have nothing else to say.

Yes...their pancakes are GOOD!!! If you like pancakes... Note I didn't say healthy, necessarily... But certainly pleasant to eat.

I didn't say the restaurants themselves are GOOD... It's not like they are gourmet or the ambiance is great.... But they are a good place to go for a traditional breakfast U.S. style.

Nothing else to say... thumbsup.gif

Denny was here before.

Is that really true, UG? Hard to imagine. Do you remember any details of when and where?

You are right. Denny's was in Singapore for many years, but I was always happy with McDonald's breakfasts (the ones with pancakes) so I never ate there.

Wendy's was in the 1st floor lobby of MBK for quite a while, right by the escalator.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Unfortunately, all the "good breakfast" places at least in Chiang Mai are pathetic jokes.

i have good news for you. There are a number of restaurants in Chiang Mai serving very decent Western breakfasts that are nothing like you have described.

American breakfasts

Butter is Better

Bake and Bite

Art Cafe

The Garden Restaurant (opposite the old Inter Inn guest house, turn at the soi alongside Flight of the Gibbon office on Kotchasarn and proceed down the very narrow soi for about 300 meters.)

British breakfasts:

Archer's

Mad Dog

UN Irish Pub

I think bringing on the rest of these chains will result in a nation of fatties like the US. Old hands here in Thailand say there were few overweight Thais 12-15 years ago before American fast food arrived. The social costs will be very high with all the health costs of caring for an overweight population.

This is already getting to be "a nation of fatties." Lays and other bad-for-you snacks, and all the sweet drinks at 7-11 have taken over Mom's home-cooking. The ubiquitous donut shops also contribute to the largeness of today's Thais.

It comes down to education, and learning what to eat, and more importantly when to let up on that what's not so healthy. There's no money in public service announcements, though (other than long-range health benefits), so the sugar and fat cartels have their way.

Thais will continue to fatten up whether Denny's, I-Hop and others arrive or not.

Here was the Dean & DeLuca pancake plate from their Chong Nonsi location today, for 250b... Not bad, but for some odd reason, the version at their Central Embassy location has thicker pancakes and seemingly larger in size. These seemed thinner and smaller. I'd go for the Central Embassy version, which I've had probably a half dozen times and is consistently good.

post-58284-0-37050500-1433163447_thumb.j

Here's what the Waffle Plate looks like at D&D Central Embassy:

post-58284-0-40837200-1433165102_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I think bringing on the rest of these chains will result in a nation of fatties like the US. Old hands here in Thailand say there were few overweight Thais 12-15 years ago before American fast food arrived. The social costs will be very high with all the health costs of caring for an overweight population.

This is already getting to be "a nation of fatties." Lays and other bad-for-you snacks, and all the sweet drinks at 7-11 have taken over Mom's home-cooking. The ubiquitous donut shops also contribute to the largeness of today's Thais.

It comes down to education, and learning what to eat, and more importantly when to let up on that what's not so healthy. There's no money in public service announcements, though (other than long-range health benefits), so the sugar and fat cartels have their way.

Thais will continue to fatten up whether Denny's, I-Hop and others arrive or not.

This is 1!!! of the most STUPIED COMMENTS!!! I ever read on this forum!!! Who brought the fast food over here?? Who wanted to have food from their home??

We DID!!! WE where just missing from home!!!

Excuse me for pointing out, that a lot of the local foods Thais eat are just as bad or worse for their health than any "fast food" imported from the U.S.

Stuff fried in old palm oil, fermented fish sauce, sugared everything, sticky jasmine white rice, raw fish with parasites that cause liver cancer, etc etc...

And some of you seem determined to bash pancakes, waffles and omelettes, which are neither fast food nor junk food, either in popular terms or based on their nutritional makeup.

And neither are they American in origin, for all the U.S. bashers out there. History suggests that omelettes originated with the French, although today there are native versions in a lot of different countries. Likewise, pancakes may have originated with the Greeks, but again there are localized versions in many countries under varying names.

So how about knowing what you're talking about, before hitting the "post" key.

Excuse me for pointing out, that a lot of the local foods Thais eat are just as bad or worse for their health than any "fast food" imported from the U.S.

Stuff fried in old palm oil, fermented fish sauce, sugared everything, sticky jasmine white rice, raw fish with parasites that cause liver cancer, etc etc...

And some of you seem determined to bash pancakes, waffles and omelettes, which are neither fast food nor junk food, either in popular terms or based on their nutritional makeup.

And neither are they American in origin, for all the U.S. bashers out there. History suggests that omelettes originated with the French, although today there are native versions in a lot of different countries. Likewise, pancakes may have originated with the Greeks, but again there are localized versions in many countries under varying names.

So how about knowing what you're talking about, before hitting the "post" key.

While us Yanks appreciate the sentiment (those of us still living stateside and in LOS), and appreciate the historical value of food origins - we are speaking about American Companies whose food is about as healthy for you and eating a 2 day old turd from the toilet bowl.

I agree with you that there is already a lot of Thai food that is bad for you, but why make it worse with a different variety of food that is equally bad for you? Have you ever eaten at one of these places? I can assure you that the pancakes are not the original Greek ones, nor the Omelets anything like what the French came up with. They are loaded full of trans fats and oils that serve to do nothing more than expand your waist line and the pocketbooks of the conglomerates who run them.

Remember this conversation in 5 or 10 years (if these restaurants successfully go over to LOS), and see what the society looks like then.

ermm.gif

I've got news for you.

Thailand's obesity rates are in a trend to skyrocket, U.S. imports or not.

It's increased wealth, increased urbanization, sugar addiction, very low health awareness, and an overall obesogenic environment. It's already happening. Blaming this on the USA is a total diversion. This is on Thailand, including government policies and lack of caring from large mass market food producers.

Here was the Dean & DeLuca pancake plate from their Chong Nonsi location today, for 250b... Not bad, but for some odd reason, the version at their Central Embassy location has thicker pancakes and seemingly larger in size. These seemed thinner and smaller. I'd go for the Central Embassy version, which I've had probably a half dozen times and is consistently good.

attachicon.gifDean & DeLuca Pancakes-Chong Nonsi-250b.jpg

attachicon.gifWaffle Plate-Dean & Deluca Central Embassy-250b.jpg

Nice but Roast in Thonglor has better breakfast options...and better quality too.

You Amercian peolpe are F carzy about "what you call food" If you choose to live in A Countery thas dosent sevre any "American food" you are yaping about it!!!!

Welcome aboard, you'll fit right in.

From the World Health Organization, 2011. Thailand's #2.

post-55993-0-86487500-1433205890_thumb.j

We're getting sidetracked a bit from the topic of franchises in Thailand, but just a word or two about obesity. The fundamental cause of obesity and overweight is an energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended.

In short: eat less, move more.

Don't blame US fast food for obesity - blame the lack of willpower and the ignorance of the consumers.

In the US, many people are overweight across all races (B/W/Mexicans) and span many societal strata, but most of the grossly morbidly obese tend to be the poor & under-educated apathetic losers unfortunates.

Don't blame US fast food for obesity - blame the lack of willpower and the ignorance of the consumers.

In the US, many people are overweight across all races (B/W/Mexicans) and span many societal strata, but most of the grossly morbidly obese tend to be the poor & under-educated apathetic losers unfortunates.

In any sane country, if a product was deemed detrimental to the populace it would be banned for the betterment of the country... Not so in the US and you want them to spread this "disease" to the rest of the world?

So I'll say this again: pancakes, waffles and omelettes are NOT junk food, nor are they fast food.

And everyone here who's trying to turn this thread into a debate about junk food or U.S. fast food ought to take it somewhere else.

I'd daresay, everyone complaining here on those issues has common breakfast foods in their country that are no better, healthwise and in terms of nutrition, than the pancakes, waffles and omelettes served in the U.S.

If you want to complain about nutrition and food quality issues, there are a lot larger targets than pancakes, waffles and omelettes.

I've got news for you.

Thailand's obesity rates are in a trend to skyrocket, U.S. imports or not.

It's increased wealth, increased urbanization, sugar addiction, very low health awareness, and an overall obesogenic environment. It's already happening. Blaming this on the USA is a total diversion. This is on Thailand, including government policies and lack of caring from large mass market food producers.

Agree.

10-12 years ago, I recall being able to go 2 days or more without seeing a single overweight Thai. Nowadays, I'm seeing obese Thais everywhere. Nothing like the USA yet (where there are many more obese/overweight people than those with a healthy body mass index), but I agree that Thailand has headed down the same path and it's only a matter of time.

While I miss some foods from back home, I really never ate at IHOP, Dennys, Wendys, or Taco Bell when I lived there and see no reason to want them here. I cook better than they do and I enjoy making my own.

I do enjoy going out to eat but then I want a real restaurant mom and pop style, not chain food.

attachicon.gifDean & DeLuca Pancakes-Chong Nonsi-250b.jpg

attachicon.gifWaffle Plate-Dean & Deluca Central Embassy-250b.jpg

Nice but Roast in Thonglor has better breakfast options...and better quality too.

I haven't been to Roast, so I can't speak from personal experience, though I'll give them a try based on your suggestion, and it looks like they're opening a new branch in EmQuartier as well. Some interesting things overall on their menu.

However, from looking at their menu on their website, they seem to be going down the desert road more in terms of their pancake and waffle offerings than they are with traditional breakfast fare.

I do try to be health conscious in my breakfast fare. That's why I like the D&D pancakes and waffles, since they have just fresh fruit as an accompaniment, and a berry sauce on the waffle. Meaning you can skip the syrup, whipped butter and anything else.

When I look at Roast's website, I see a breakfast pancakes with 3 or so slices of bacon. For me, I'd just as soon skip the bacon.

And then, they seem to offer desert choices in a strawberry waffle with fresh cream and ice cream, a cranberry brioche fresh toast with ice cream, and a banana pancakes with butterscotch sauce and peanut butter ice cream!!!! Likewise, I'd just as soon skip the sugar overdose...

I think I'd prefer D&D's more health conscious pancake/waffle with fruit offerings -- and avoid the whipped butter, syrups, ice creams, bacons, etc etc.

BTW, re one of the comments above, I also do fix my own pancakes and waffles and omelettes at home for breakfast, rotating them with muesli... For the omelettes, eggs only topped with Tapatio chili sauce -- no cheese or other stuff. For the waffles and pancakes, just a bit of syrup and nothing else.

The fact that garbage food (from places like the ones in this thread) is more appealing to those in (as you put it) the 'poor & under-educated, apathetic unfortunates' category, is not by accident. These companies are not stupid and know exactly what they are doing - putting out crap food for cheap, that is horrible for your body.

I realize this is really pissing some people off, and I normally would not classify Pancakes, Waffles, or Omelets as fast/junk food either, but from the restaurants mentioned in this thread - they are of total garbage quality, and do nothing for the consumer other than to hook them onto sugary crap that is full of trans fats, and other addicting ingredients, that they can afford. So, to a certain degree, you are correct - it becomes a battle to not consume the stuff that is bad for you. However - if you are someone in poverty who does not always know where there next meal is coming from, and if you can buy it cheaper, and keep yourself fed, and satisfied for a longer duration - then it's not hard to see why people would choose that option (especially those who do not have as much as others).

I hope none of these companies ever makes it to the LOS, and if they do - I hope they are boycotted, and fail miserably.

I realize this is really pissing some people off, and I normally would not classify Pancakes, Waffles, or Omelets as fast/junk food either, but from the restaurants mentioned in this thread - they are of total garbage quality, and do nothing for the consumer other than to hook them onto sugary crap that is full of trans fats, and other addicting ingredients, that they can afford.

Horse manure. The pancakes, waffles and omelets from the restaurants mentioned in this thread, are little different nutritionally than that from more expensive restaurants and there is probably little difference in quality either. The only exceptions would be the "desert" pancakes and waffles, which don't do much for me anyway. IMO, they ARE overly sweet.

I realize this is really pissing some people off, and I normally would not classify Pancakes, Waffles, or Omelets as fast/junk food either, but from the restaurants mentioned in this thread - they are of total garbage quality, and do nothing for the consumer other than to hook them onto sugary crap that is full of trans fats, and other addicting ingredients, that they can afford.

Horse manure. The pancakes, waffles and omelets from the restaurants mentioned in this thread, are little different nutritionally than that from more expensive restaurants and there is probably little difference in quality either. The only exceptions would be the "desert" pancakes and waffles, which don't do much for me anyway. IMO, they ARE overly sweet.

You are missing the point...It's CHEAPer, than getting the same from a better restaurant.

Crap food is always cheaper. I have often wondered if places like McDonald's aren't in bed with all the overgrown Pharm companies out there...to keep the cycle of business booming (because let's face it - if you live a healthier life, you don't need as many products and services from them).

In any sane country, if a product was deemed detrimental to the populace it would be banned for the betterment of the country... Not so in the US and you want them to spread this "disease" to the rest of the world?

Fast food, per se, is not detrimental (if consumed in moderation).

Sumo wrestlers eat buckets of soba noodles, meat, fish, cabbage - these foods are not "detrimental" either, and I don't hear calls for their abolition.

If you eat enough, you can also overdose on caviar, Kobe beef and Champagne.

What I don't want is Big Government stepping in and dictating what we can or cannot eat - I thought I'd escaped from the nanny states.

Besides, isn't all of this part of evolution? The grossly obese will not attract sexual partners, so their genes will fade out within 100 generations - a blink of the eye in geological time scale.

PS I personally don't like (e.g.) McDonalds, but I don't want to prevent others from trying it for themselves.

PPS a lot of these Americans claim to be Christian, but conveniently forget that Gluttony is one of the 7 D Ss.

I don't believe anyone's talking about McDonald's pancakes here, which, I gather, they don't even serve in Thailand.

But, when stripped down to the basics, a pancake or a waffle is a pretty simple thing: flour, sugar, butter or oil, egg, a bit of salt, milk, baking powder, and a few other things, depending on preferences. Not really that different from the basic ingredients for any variety of bread. Don't like white wheat flour. Fine, there are plenty of other flours that will work just fine as a substitute.

If people choose to drench them in sugar/maple syrup, or whipped cream or whipped butter, or ice cream and sauces, they can... But, there's certainly no need to do so, and they make for quite a decent breakfast even without all that extra (and relatively unhealthy) stuff.