Price Of Wire Or Chain Link Fence Cost Vs. Concrete?

buddhafly

i'm finding that concrete perimeter walls are not that cheap. about 1000 baht per linear meter for a tall 2 or 2.5 high wall.

what about a wire or chain link fence? does anybody have any info on the price?

i think it would allow breeze to pass through, or if you wanted a little privacy you could grow ivy on it.

Privicy is not always a good thing. Privacy for you is also privacy for a thief.

I can't help with the price thing, but wire fencing does have the advantage that it can be seen through, exposing a would be house breaker to being seen by neighbours/passers bye.

Given the choice with hindsight I would suggest a third option. Depends where you live of course, and your reasons for having a perimeter wall.

I would plant a hedgerow. Definitely cheaper than concrete. Have you considered the cost of paint ?

Chain link fencing 2meter high is approx 80 - 120 ß / m plus concrete or wooden posts.

Whichever way way u look at it...concrete is plain ugly :o

everything, including the broken glass to put in the top of the wall
Must look lovely :o

A while back I visited New Orleans and found the fence-top broken bottles there to be very quaint. After living in Thailand I no longer think this is quaint.

I've always liked Ha-Ha's as an alternative to fences, but in Thailand you'd probably just end up with a moat full of garbage.

post-20734-1158070260_thumb.jpg

i recieved some info on another option: barb wire fence. comes in about 50 baht a meter. i believe it'd be a deterrent as much as concret wall, but not as much visual privacy as concrete. i dont mind , as i'm at the end of a quiet street. plant some pretty trees and some scratchy bushes and your in good shape.

i recieved some info on another option: barb wire fence. comes in about 50 baht a meter. i believe it'd be a deterrent as much as concret wall, ..........unless you electrify it :o:D

I only used chain link to enclose small areas for animals and it was attached to either a metal or wooden frame. This is probably excessive for a perimeter .

Unless barbed wire has improved the stuff I used has always gone rusty pretty quickly.

i recieved some info on another option: barb wire fence. comes in about 50 baht a meter. i believe it'd be a deterrent as much as concret wall, ..........unless you electrify it :o:D

I'm pretty sure this was meant as a joke but the fact is that electric fences should never be built with barbed wire and barbed wire fences should never be incorporated into electric fences. Piercing the skin with a barb from the wire and then sending an electric fence current through the body can be dangerous and even deadly.

Chownahb

When I left UK 5 years ago all the schools were having 3 m high chain link fences put up around the total area including the sports fields. Obviously for good reason.

Excessive in the sense you don't want your place to look like a prison, so why the need for chain link.

Barbed wire wont stop dogs coming through., and concrete walls wont stop chickens either.

Poor joke i know Chownah :o

Edited by OneeyedJohn

Make sure the posts are put in to a reasonable depth and concreted in.

When we put up a barbed wire fence it was pushed over by a local farmer

who thought he had a right of way across our land with his cows.

i recieved some info on another option: barb wire fence. comes in about 50 baht a meter. i believe it'd be a deterrent as much as concret wall, but not as much visual privacy as concrete. i dont mind , as i'm at the end of a quiet street. plant some pretty trees and some scratchy bushes and your in good shape.

Hi buddhafly

Bourganvillea or Fung Fah as it is know here is the prettiest, scratchiest, fastest growing hedge you could find that is readily available everywhere in Thailand at a very reasonable price. You may need to add a low level wire fence to keep out the dogs though!

• 1 year later...
I have just had finished a 2m high wall. With the footings etc, for 100m the cost was 1000B/M including labor, cement, steel, everything, including the broken glass to put in the top of the wall also

Hi im Clifford, i have offer to build chain fence coated with PVC with the lenght of 2700 meters fencing. Can u help me what is the pricing now per meter

Thanks

Clifford

I had a chain link Galvanized(could not get PVC coated ) installed 90 meters -Non galvanized pipes & cross braces (posts in cement) Front gate & 2 side doors for 40,000 baht in Dec. 2007 The chain link runs 130 baht for 1.5 meter high & is most likely the same for 1.0 or 2.0 meter size this figure has no doubt went up cause of fuel increases. Your PVC coated will also be more .

I bought in Ban Ampur 20 minutes outside of Pattaya.(where did you locate some PVC coated?) Galvanized pipes will be another 60% on top of reg. metal prices, but will never require painting the posts & the top & bottom braces. Common price is 80 baht for each hole to be dug & pipes cemented in. All work was welded with an arc welder.

Good luck- The chain link is great. you & your dog(if you have one ) can see anyone coming & offers just as much protection as a cement wall, with the exception your neighbors can see someone that doesn't belong on your property -if they desire to inquire.

I like having the view & noise in Bang Sare is no problem. The link fence will keep the honest people out! A thief can scale as many stories high required to get what they want.

Edited by Beardog

I had a chain link Galvanized(could not get PVC coated ) installed 90 meters -Non galvanized pipes & cross braces (posts in cement) Front gate & 2 side doors for 40,000 baht in Dec. 2007 The chain link runs 130 baht for 1.5 meter high & is most likely the same for 1.0 or 2.0 meter size this figure has no doubt went up cause of fuel increases. Your PVC coated will also be more .

I bought in Ban Ampur 20 minutes outside of Pattaya.(where did you locate some PVC coated?) Galvanized pipes will be another 60% on top of reg. metal prices, but will never require painting the posts & the top & bottom braces. Common price is 80 baht for each hole to be dug & pipes cemented in. All work was welded with an arc welder.

Good luck- The chain link is great. you & your dog(if you have one ) can see anyone coming & offers just as much protection as a cement wall, with the exception your neighbors can see someone that doesn't belong on your property -if they desire to inquire.

I like having the view & noise in Bang Sare is no problem. The link fence will keep the honest people out! A thief can scale as many stories high required to get what they want.

Thanks for your valurable information, my intention is to bring in from oversea due to the larg

e qty. However i need local contractors for installation. Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks for your valurable information, my intention is to bring in from oversea due to the larg

e qty. However i need local contractors for installation. Do you have any recommendation?

You understand they are going to impose huge import levies pending on the origin. I originally looked at 100 meters & found out I was way short of the minimum purchase. then found out it was almost as much for the duties imposed on the chain link fence. If it's from the U.S. go on the customs tariffs & you will see what I am Talking about. You might be buying someone a

sizable down payment on a new car. If it is the U.S. I have the link if you want for duty taxes into Thailand.

your best bet is to get pending on your area a welder to put in the fence.

I am not sure what system you are using. If it is the galvanized piping with the clamp on & tighten the bolts ,you obviously do not need a welder. I am also not sure where you are at.

If you open a separate post in the do it yourself forum looking for advice on your area- someone will help you out.

My contractor went bankrupt & I am a much better welder & couldn't give you a recommendation just cause of that.

Seriously you might want to check to see if it might be cheaper to go with galvanized chain link local & save 100%

I wish I could help you more but check out the cost before you send over cars from the U.S are over 120% new cost with shipping.

Regards

Barry

I have just had finished a 2m high wall. With the footings etc, for 100m the cost was 1000B/M including labor, cement, steel, everything, including the broken glass to put in the top of the wall also

Thats cheap i got quoted 3000 THB per meter.

Hi buddhafly

Bourganvillea or Fung Fah as it is know here is the prettiest, scratchiest, fastest growing hedge you could find that is readily available everywhere in Thailand at a very reasonable price. You may need to add a low level wire fence to keep out the dogs though!

I've used this, and if it's grown properly, will provide a thick and completely impenetrable fence. The only drawback is that during the wet season it tends to grow quicker than you can cut it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife had her family build and then eventually paint a rendered cement block wall to keep animals out of our residential yard. Do Home in Korat has some interesting razor wire for topping a fence, I priced stainless steel spiked fencing, but in the end I am 100% satisfied with the experience of purchasing an electric fence from an Expat named Michael Rust who owns WASP SECURITY in Bangkok. He made the whole process of purchasing the fence easy via e-mail and telephone. I happened to be in Bangkok and it was easy to walk to his shop from a BTS station and I visited his booth at the 2008 Architect Expo at BITEC. We made a written contract and he personally came to our home in Buriram with his foreman. They did more measurements and a few weeks later his three man crew came in a NGV powered truck to our up-country location. They spent four days installing the fence and the price was FAR LESS than stainless or steel toppings. His installation crew was the most considerate crew we have yet had install any items in this home. They also had modern tools and took away their own trash. Now I have postponed the purchase of a CCTV security system or intrusion alarm system. We no longer are considering the purchase of any metal window bars. Had I previously known about this product I might still live in Kamala Beach on Phuket Island.

Mike had fence posts that matched our stainless steel front fence and powdered coated the metal posts to match our ICI Dulux Weathershield Ultima Fence paint. In the evening you can hardly see the fence, but his staff placed warning signs in Thai at a legally mandated distance. The fence is grounded in several spots and the made in Brazil control unit is in our Karaoke room. The noise is negligible from the control unit and has not increased our monthly electric bill by an appreciable amount. The fence is 100% legal, designed, sold and installed by a professional company.

Formerly sales people would randomly come onto our property. That is no longer the case. Heck my Mother in Law has not even come to see us since the fence was installed. No matter where you live in Thailand I think it is very much worth investigating the possibility of an electric fence for your property if you already have some sort of cement wall. There is a real piece of mind knowing that a "bad man" would pass on attempting to enter your property due to a very reasonably priced, yet professional electric fence. You can see photos of Wasp-Security fences and information in Thai and English on Mike's web site. He can quote you a price if you e-mail to him and you will not fall over. I've priced more expensive "imported" BBQ's and stereo receivers in Bangkok. I still do not own an a/v receiver, but we love our Thai made BBQ from Doc in Udon Thani.

post-20604-1216616604_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216616635_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216616658_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216616722_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216616783_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216616883_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216616951_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216616994_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216617089_thumb.jpg

My wife had her family build and then eventually paint a rendered cement block wall to keep animals out of our residential yard. Do Home in Korat has some interesting razor wire for topping a fence, I priced stainless steel spiked fencing, but in the end I am 100% satisfied with the experience of purchasing an electric fence from an Expat named Michael Rust who owns WASP SECURITY in Bangkok. He made the whole process of purchasing the fence easy via e-mail and telephone. I happened to be in Bangkok and it was easy to walk to his shop from a BTS station and I visited his booth at the 2008 Architect Expo at BITEC. We made a written contract and he personally came to our home in Buriram with his foreman. They did more measurements and a few weeks later his three man crew came in a NGV powered truck to our up-country location. They spent four days installing the fence and the price was FAR LESS than stainless or steel toppings. His installation crew was the most considerate crew we have yet had install any items in this home. They also had modern tools and took away their own trash. Now I have postponed the purchase of a CCTV security system or intrusion alarm system. We no longer are considering the purchase of any metal window bars. Had I previously known about this product I might still live in Kamala Beach on Phuket Island.

Mike had fence posts that matched our stainless steel front fence and powdered coated the metal posts to match our ICI Dulux Weathershield Ultima Fence paint. In the evening you can hardly see the fence, but his staff placed warning signs in Thai at a legally mandated distance. The fence is grounded in several spots and the made in Brazil control unit is in our Karaoke room. The noise is negligible from the control unit and has not increased our monthly electric bill by an appreciable amount. The fence is 100% legal, designed, sold and installed by a professional company.

Formerly sales people would randomly come onto our property. That is no longer the case. Heck my Mother in Law has not even come to see us since the fence was installed. No matter where you live in Thailand I think it is very much worth investigating the possibility of an electric fence for your property if you already have some sort of cement wall. There is a real piece of mind knowing that a "bad man" would pass on attempting to enter your property due to a very reasonably priced, yet professional electric fence. You can see photos of Wasp-Security fences and information in Thai and English on Mike's web site. He can quote you a price if you e-mail to him and you will not fall over. I've priced more expensive "imported" BBQ's and stereo receivers in Bangkok. I still do not own an a/v receiver, but we love our Thai made BBQ from Doc in Udon Thani.

Nice job Bob. that electric fence looks like it will definitely keep the honest people honest & a thief might think about an easier mark upon noticing the wiring might be hot (or maybe not- in that case he will find out the hard way!) I'll bring the marshmellows! House looks nice!