Not sure that this is the right forum, so the mods can move it if better suited elsewhere.

Title says it all. The main A/C in my condo needs replacing. I have done my research and decided on a make and model. Now comes the hard part, finding a dealer/contractor who can do a proper professional installation. What I do not want is the usual shoddy installation by a Thai 'engineer' that is so typical here.

So... My question is, does anyone know of, and can recommend, a firm that will do a quality professional installation? Being able to speak decent english is also a must. Using the GF as interpreter is not workable, as many details, especially technical details, seem to get lost in the translation. laugh.png

The make of A/C I am considering is Daiken.

PM me with contact details if you can recommend someone. A web site would be good too.

I should ad that I have already tried to contact some firms that advertize, but no one bothers to reply and most web sites seem to have very limited english.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by WhizBang

The installers from HomePro who did all our aircons (bought there of course) did a clean and professional job no issues whatever.

Replacing an existing unit should be a piece of cake, exactly what "technical details" are you concerned about?

If looking for an independent outfit, you'll need to let us know where you are located.

The installers from HomePro who did all our aircons (bought there of course) did a clean and professional job no issues whatever.

Replacing an existing unit should be a piece of cake, exactly what "technical details" are you concerned about?

If looking for an independent outfit, you'll need to let us know where you are located.

I am not concerned about technical details per se, just want to ask/confirm details with sales staff before pulling the trigger and don't want to discover later that what I asked about is not as asked and answered.

As for location, Sukhumvit/Asoke area.

Good to hear you were happy with Home Pro. My one installation with them, a TV many years ago, left a bad taste.

What I don't understand isn't their central air conditioning in Thailand? I see the window type,or the type you see in hotel rooms.

I never see ones that cool the whole house where basically the central air unit is outside the house.

I can assure you they exist, but for residential properties they are limited to some larger houses.

I think it's a matter of costs more than anything as a lot of people only need 1 or 2 rooms cooled at a time. A couple of smaller units will normally be cheaper to run than a central system.

What I don't understand isn't their central air conditioning in Thailand? I see the window type,or the type you see in hotel rooms.

I never see ones that cool the whole house where basically the central air unit is outside the house.

These multi systems are magnitudes more expensive than separate units, so usually only installed in higher-end condos/houses where they also want to use hidden, low static pressure ducted indoor units, and the owner ranks cosmetics over price.

The other point with these systems is that they have much longer product cycles (5-10 years) - e.g. most of the units on sale even now are still using R-22 (which cant be refilled after 1/1/2018). few use R-410A, even fewer use inverter technology (and cost 4x instead of just 2x). Single split systems have product cycles of 2-5 years only, so are always using newer tech - for example,brands like Saijo and Daikin are now on gen-3 inverter tech, some Daikins now use R-32 refrigerant etc. And baht for BTU, single systems cost half or less.

the size (>36k btu/h) of a central airconditioning system for a single family home requires (unlike in the U.S.) a three-phase connection. in Thailand it happens quite often that one of the phases has a brown-out or is gone completely. that means no cooling at all for your home.

These multi systems are magnitudes more expensive than separate units, so usually only installed in higher-end condos/houses where they also want to use hidden, low static pressure ducted indoor units, and the owner ranks cosmetics over price.

The other point with these systems is that they have much longer product cycles (5-10 years) - e.g. most of the units on sale even now are still using R-22 (which cant be refilled after 1/1/2018). few use R-410A, even fewer use inverter technology (and cost 4x instead of just 2x). Single split systems have product cycles of 2-5 years only, so are always using newer tech - for example,brands like Saijo and Daikin are now on gen-3 inverter tech, some Daikins now use R-32 refrigerant etc. And baht for BTU, single systems cost half or less.

"thrilled "is not referring to a mult-system but to central air, i.e. one outside compressor/condenser unit, an airhandler, ducts in the attic and individual outlets in all areas served by the airhandler. total cost is lower than individual split units but much more efficient assuming you want your whole home evenly cooled.

Good choice of unit....thumbsup.gif

till, after only 3-4 years, the fan bearings are worn out and the Daikin turns into a Dai-rattler-kin whistling.gif

Which do you recommend as I will be buying a couple of units shortly?

till, after only 3-4 years, the fan bearings are worn out and the Daikin turns into a Dai-rattler-kin whistling.gif

My Daikin are now 8 years old and still whisper............thumbsup.gif

yeah, I've never had a Daikin go noisy either - perhaps his techs aren't removing the fan before hitting the radiator with the pressure washer?

because you switch them on only on New Year's Eve? tongue.png

yeah, I've never had a Daikin go noisy either - perhaps his techs aren't removing the fan before hitting the radiator with the pressure washer?

i would never allow the use of a pressure washer on the inside units. pressure washing is only used on the condenser fins of the outside units.

Daikins are also rattlers at fan settings faster than #3 when they are brand new dry.png my experience over nine years (based on 19 installed units) is sick.gif but then... most of my units are running 18-20 hours a day.

personal view: Panasonic are the best available split units. i use them since years in another tropical country, we installed 6 units in a friends home in Thailand about three years ago and he is very happy with their overall performance.

unfortunately Panasonic was not available when we built our home.

My chum in the UK is an A/C fitter etc. He told me to buy Daikin if they are available in LOS, he said he fits them and forgets them, very few call outs.

Daikin only do A/C stuff...........

Daikin are indeed ideal for UK to be switched on every leap year february 29th laugh.png

Daikin every day two units no problems 1, 3 years old one new. I use them everyday. Main unit set at 30 and bedroom unit set at 25.

Main unit set to 30C...does the outside unit ever need to turn on...I expect some during the day...but probably very little to never turning on at night.

I leave the main unit on all the time as it functions as a filter as well as a cooling unit. When I go to the store I leave the main unit on even when I'm gone. I really can't hear the unit turning on off in the daytime but I suspect it does. When I come in from outside there is a noticeable difference. Seems dryer too. My AC unit is set at 30 now and the sensor in my phone reads 24.7 C Humidity 49.6% . I'm using a fan to dry my shirts that may be part of the reason.

Edit to add - moved the phone temp sensor around the three rooms cooled by the large unit and all around 25C, maybe in a cooling cycle now and will warm up later. I don't know the range that turns it on and off. 5 degrees plus or minus would be my guess?

Edit to add now it is up to 31.6 by the window (afternoon sun). Cooling unit appears to turn on around 30C and it is also set at 30C.

Edited by lostoday

The guy who cleans my inside Daikin unit, strips it down, takes the bits into the bathroom, sets up his weee pressure washer and blasts the stuff......Never a problem, in fact never been gassed up in 8 years, never needed top ups ....thumbsup.gif

the guy who takes the evaporator (the most important part to be cleaned) to the bathroom without a complete recharge of the system is without doubt the Wizard of Oz laugh.png

...assuming you don't have very expensive automatic couplings installed.

Main unit set to 30C...does the outside unit ever need to turn on...I expect some during the day...but probably very little to never turning on at night.

I leave the main unit on all the time as it functions as a filter as well as a cooling unit. When I go to the store I leave the main unit on even when I'm gone. I really can't hear the unit turning on off in the daytime but I suspect it does. When I come in from outside there is a noticeable difference. Seems dryer too. My AC unit is set at 30 now and the sensor in my phone reads 24.7 C Humidity 49.6% . I'm using a fan to dry my shirts that may be part of the reason.

Edit to add - moved the phone temp sensor around the three rooms cooled by the large unit and all around 25C, maybe in a cooling cycle now and will warm up later. I don't know the range that turns it on and off. 5 degrees plus or minus would be my guess?

Edit to add now it is up to 31.6 by the window (afternoon sun). Cooling unit appears to turn on around 30C and it is also set at 30C.

Humidity 49.6%

= very low!

you beat me to it! laugh.png

i would never allow the use of a pressure washer on the inside units. pressure washing is only used on the condenser fins of the outside units.

If following proper cleaning procedures, there's nothing left in the inside unit other than the radiator and the back of the case: http://saijo-denki.co.th/download/technic/16clean.pdf

proper cleaning procedures of my aircons are established by nobody else but me. and that since 42 years when most "aircon thread participants in Thaivisa" didn't have the faintest idea what an aircon is.

laugh.png

From all the aircons we have installed, ALL are too high on the ceiling, makes it hard to impossible to take it apart for cleaning.

Some have too small tubes even it is written clear which size must be used.

Some need refill every 2 month because they leak somewhere, I got told some make that on purpose so they have an ongoing business.

Non have the earth(ground) connected.

Installed from at least 5 different companies....I never saw one who made correct job.

The guy who cleans my inside Daikin unit, strips it down, takes the bits into the bathroom, sets up his weee pressure washer and blasts the stuff......Never a problem, in fact never been gassed up in 8 years, never needed top ups ....thumbsup.gif

the guy who takes the evaporator (the most important part to be cleaned) to the bathroom without a complete recharge of the system is without doubt the Wizard of Oz laugh.png

He connects his gear to charge it..He says "not need, no charge for gas"....Honest guy eh..thumbsup.gif

But like Naam implies, the evaporator itself it not taken to the bathroom for cleaning as that would require disconnection of the freon lines...partial or total loose of the freon in the system...a vacuum suck down and then frecharge. The bits and pieces he taking to the bathroom is just the plastics housing and filters covering the evaporator fins and maybe the roller fan also? Hopefully he also cleans the evap fins/roller fan with some type of low pressure sprayer with the core of the unit still fully hooked up/on the wall....that's the evap fins and roller fan are the really important parts to be thoroughly cleaned and that can almost always been done by simply opening the plastic filers cover, removing the filers, open the air vent louvers, and then low pressure washing the evap fins and fans. A wash catchment bag/tray is needed to catch the water run over.

But like Naam implies, the evaporator itself it not taken to the bathroom for cleaning as that would require disconnection of the freon lines...partial or total loose of the freon in the system...a vacuum suck down and then frecharge. The bits and pieces he taking to the bathroom is just the plastics housing and filters covering the evaporator fins and maybe the roller fan also? Hopefully he also cleans the evap fins/roller fan with some type of low pressure sprayer with the core of the unit still fully hooked up/on the wall....that's the evap fins and roller fan are the really important parts to be thoroughly cleaned and that can almost always been done by simply opening the plastic filers cover, removing the filers, open the air vent louvers, and then low pressure washing the evap fins and fans. A wash catchment bag/tray is needed to catch the water run over.

Never touched the lines, never had too. All is well......wink.png

well, as i mentioned... he is a wizard taking the evaporator to the bathroom without touching the lines wink.png

some people have all the luck, e.g. service technicians who perform miracles by using magic sad.png

"Pib

But like Naam implies, the evaporator itself it not taken to the bathroom for cleaning as that would require disconnection of the freon lines...partial or total loose of the freon in the system...a vacuum suck down and then frecharge."

not necessarily if the unit is equipped with these:

post-35218-0-86770900-1433415451_thumb.j

Yea, but I bet such quick connect/disconnect connects on split A/Cs installed in Thailand residences can be counted on one hand or maybe even one finger.

correct for two reasons. one is that most clients as well as most a/c fitters don't know that they exist and the other one is that they are rather expensive. ten years ago my contractor knew that they exist but told me he has to order them in BKK for 4,800 Baht a set just for the indoor unit.

If following proper cleaning procedures, there's nothing left in the inside unit other than the radiator and the back of the case: http://saijo-denki.co.th/download/technic/16clean.pdf

proper cleaning procedures of my aircons are established by nobody else but me. and that since 42 years when most "aircon thread participants in Thaivisa" didn't have the faintest idea what an aircon is.

laugh.png

I wasn't even alive 42 years ago :D

laugh.png

I wasn't even alive 42 years ago biggrin.png

sometimes i exaggerate a wee wink.png bit because 42 years ago i was living and working in a climate where peak temperatures of 45-48ºC were quite normal and nobody thought of pulling the old a/c rattler out of the wall to clean it.