Canada: Judge awards billions to Quebec smokers

webfact

I don't think that even 40 year ago you could have found an adult smoker in Canada that did not fully understand that smoking caused cancer and other heath problems. The product is legal to sell and the government was not only aware of the dangers of smoking, they were also the largest recipient of cash from tobacco sales. Amazing that the tobacco companies are all alone are the defendants to this class action suit; and the smokers, who willfully participated in this unhealthy activity, are being rewarded for years of recklessness.

I don't think that even 40 year ago you could have found an adult smoker in Canada that did not fully understand that smoking caused cancer and other heath problems. The product is legal to sell and the government was not only aware of the dangers of smoking, they were also the largest recipient of cash from tobacco sales. Amazing that the tobacco companies are all alone are the defendants to this class action suit; and the smokers, who willfully participated in this unhealthy activity, are being rewarded for years of recklessness.

Yes, this entire trend of "victims" (i.e., smokers) suing tobacco companies is rather counter-intuitive. Typically, you'd want the offending companies to cease and desist the production of such harmful products. But do smokers really want that? I mean, to prevent tobacco companies from producing cigarettes altogether? I'm sure non/ex-smokers won't care, but the other gazillion smokers might. If anything, this effort to reduce or eliminate smoking, e.g., lawsuits, sin tax, etc., is making cigarettes much more expensive than it used to be. So if anything, it's harming current smokers much more than helping. Unless of course, smokers actually do quit.

I see a hole in the pavement, next to it is a sign with hole written on it, next to that is a sign that says stepping on this hole may be a hazard to your health, but I step on it anyway.

Who do I sue?

What if the hole was concealed such that you could not see it?

The tobacco companies in this case were shown to have misrepresented their product. Keep in mind that the case spent 17 years in the courts. It took about 8+ years to get to court. 20, 25 years ago the warnings on cigarette packages weren't as obvious as Today. Tobacco was still marketed to kids and was readily available everywhere. The cigarette companies dragged out the cases.

Go back and look at the polling results. Smoking only started to decrease about 20 years ago once the government mounted its anti smoking campaign. Tobacco was heavily marketed to ensnare new smokers and was heavily marketed at lifestyle events like grand prix races. 25 years ago, the tobacco companies were still giving out freebies called samplers.

Go back and look at the polling results. Smoking only started to decrease about 20 years ago once the government mounted its anti smoking campaign. Tobacco was heavily marketed to ensnare new smokers and was heavily marketed at lifestyle events like grand prix races. 25 years ago, the tobacco companies were still giving out freebies called samplers.

I would never blame a company for heavily marketing a product that they have the legal right to sell. Why else would you be in business if not to make money? The government was complicit with the tobacco producers even though it was playing both sides. Tobacco still remains legal to sell. A product that when used correctly, will kill you. And the government still makes huge income from it. There are so many levels of hypocrisy involved.

Obviously this product, which has only negative side affects, and no health benefits should be illegal. There are many things less harmful, which are illegal to sell. But the hypocrisy continues, and now a few smokers get a big payout for being continually weak and negligent towards their health.

I was a smoker more 30 years ago in Canada. I knew and everyone around me knew that smoking caused lung cancer. You can't blame anyone but the smoker. They smoked with informed consent, as did I.

I see a hole in the pavement, next to it is a sign with hole written on it, next to that is a sign that says stepping on this hole may be a hazard to your health, but I step on it anyway.

Who do I sue?

Have to agree in principle as people who make bad choices many times per day, over and over again for 20 to 40 years, can not blame others.

Furthermore people can quit tobacco, as many do ...but it is not easy.

Meantime the tobacco companies should also be held accountable for the huge part they play in making millions of people sick and tens of thousands of people dead.

Cheers

I think furthermore that you should have said millions of people dead instead of tens of thousands people dead, I also think furthermore that people who started smoking many years ago that billions of people never really realised the health hazards of smoking and that through smoking that they could end up dead.

I also think furthermore that many people die through drinking alcohol and the taxes raised through the sales of tobacco products and smoking products and the advertisement revenues raised through these products far out weigh any lawsuits that may arise because governments involved dont really give a f u c @.

And just one for the road as I chill out on a Double JD and coke, how come the major tobacco companies around the world are buying into the major ECIG companies or have bought them out, who are we going to blame,.......Errrr China becauses thats where most of them are made, what we going to do, sue China.

Anyway JD and coke is my priority now as is a big fat B and H because Im addicted...

Cheers...