Ink jet copier problems

superal

I have a Brother mfc-j220 , printer / scanner / fax , copier . Not sure how old it is as it was given to the wife by her school teacher sister . The main problem I have is

that the quality of the printer is poor . I have taken it to be repaired once and they charged 450 baht . They told me that I should use it every day so as to avoid an

ink drying out problem . Well , what do you do when you are away for a few days as I was recently . Came back and sure enough problems again . Even though I

ran the clean mode several times the test print was awful , about 60% in black & white and colour .

Is there a solution to my problem and has anyone else had the same experience ?

ps , searched the forums/archives but could not find the answer

Did you install the correct drivers for that printer in your computer including making sure you have 32 or 64 bit drivers depending on your operating system?

What do you know about those cartridges for age and contents? You can try cleaning the inkjet heads with alcohol and cleaning the contacts in the printer and on the cartridges with a pencil eraser. Be sure to blow eraser residue out.

Believe that uses a common print head that if ink dries in it would be bad - maybe remove all ink and run test prints until dry would help - but perhaps easier would be to bag printer during times you will be away and seal so air can not escape - that might help to keep from drying out. Indeed you do often need to use such printers every few days to avoid such issues.

Believe that uses a common print head that if ink dries in it would be bad - maybe remove all ink and run test prints until dry would help - but perhaps easier would be to bag printer during times you will be away and seal so air can not escape - that might help to keep from drying out. Indeed you do often need to use such printers every few days to avoid such issues.

You may be right. I just fired up a wireless HP Photosmart 7525 after not using it for about a year. I planned to give it to someone. The print head(s) won't clean with the software utility even with new cartridges which I have. It was working fine when I put it away. Now when I get time I'll have to see if I can ID the print head(s) and try to clean with alcohol. The thing may be toast and that's too bad because it's a 4 in one which works great on wifi.

A printer repairman once told me to put my ink cartridges in a zip-lock bag with a damp cotton ball when I would not be using the printer for extended periods. He also stressed cleaning the print heads before leaving or storing the printer.

I've never actually done this as I am never away for long periods of time so maybe yes, maybe no.

I've got a Brother MFC J415W. I don't do anything with the printer cartridges to look after them and it can be left for several weeks without being used with no room cooling and probably 40 degree heat when I'm away. And it certainly isn't used every day.

Never had a problem until I fitted the after market type oversize (cheap) cartridges that caused all sorts of problems. Poor printing quality, blotches everywhere, just total crap. They worked fine initially but after a few days they just went to the dogs. No amount of cleaning would get it to work properly.

Replaced with OEM cartridges and hey presto, no problems ever since.

OP - are you using the after market cartridges?

I've got a Brother MFC J415W. I don't do anything with the printer cartridges to look after them and it can be left for several weeks without being used with no room cooling and probably 40 degree heat when I'm away. And it certainly isn't used every day.

Never had a problem until I fitted the after market type oversize (cheap) cartridges that caused all sorts of problems. Poor printing quality, blotches everywhere, just total crap. They worked fine initially but after a few days they just went to the dogs. No amount of cleaning would get it to work properly.

Replaced with OEM cartridges and hey presto, no problems ever since.

OP - are you using the after market cartridges?

Exactly what I was thinking. The sister most likely bought cheap copy inks and they do not work well at all.

Indeed it does seem this printer used carts that include the print head rather than just ink (guess most are this type these days) so refilled or poor quality carts could be an issue - and removing them to a plastic bag could help if not printing for a time.

Many thanks to all replies, much appreciated .

The cartridges are original and the ink refills that I used are specifically for the "Brother" . However I am beginning to doubt if the sister in law

complied with the specified ink and may have used what was available at her school. So it could be the case that I have topped up with good ink onto wrong

ink . I am now thinking about replacing the cartridges and refilling with new ink in the next few days.

Having a hard time understanding this - carts are sold with ink in them - not empty. And they are not designed to be refilled (this is not what they want - they make there money on ink). So you are saying the carts had already been used and refilled with ink (unknown number of times)? That indeed could be an issue so replacement of carts would be first order of business.

If you don't need color then for 2,000 baht get yourself a cheap Brother b&w laser, rather than throwing money at an old MFC. You don't need to use it every day, they just work whenever you start them up next. I have one that is only used for a few weeks each year, no problems. You can continue to use all the other functions of your MFC if you wish.

Having a hard time understanding this - carts are sold with ink in them - not empty. And they are not designed to be refilled (this is not what they want - they make there money on ink). So you are saying the carts had already been used and refilled with ink (unknown number of times)? That indeed could be an issue so replacement of carts would be first order of business.

It now appears what you have stated is spot on . On reading the manual on line it shows a different type of cartridge to what is fitted at present which has a grommet to enable refilling and is not the correct part . Looks like I have a mongrel on my hands. Below is an extract from the Brother manual .

Brother strongly recommends that you do not refill the ink cartridges provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement ink cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible ink and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third party ink and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of genuine Brother supplies..

• Once you open an ink cartridge, install it in the machine and use it up within six months of installation. Use unopened ink cartridges by the expiration date written on the cartridge package.

Thanks Lopburi , your knowledge and powers of detection have proved correct .

If you don't need color then for 2,000 baht get yourself a cheap Brother b&w laser, rather than throwing money at an old MFC. You don't need to use it every day, they just work whenever you start them up next. I have one that is only used for a few weeks each year, no problems. You can continue to use all the other functions of your MFC if you wish.

Hi KKerry,

This is indeed a possible reliable idea for basic black and white printing . However I have a need for occasional colour printing so I will have to consider

my options , whether to throw more money at the Brother or buy new .

Many thanks for your reply

Superal

It now appears what you have stated is spot on . On reading the manual on line it shows a different type of cartridge to what is fitted at present which has a grommet to enable refilling and is not the correct part . Looks like I have a mongrel on my hands. Below is an extract from the Brother manual .

Brother strongly recommends that you do not refill the ink cartridges provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement ink cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible ink and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third party ink and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of genuine Brother supplies..

• Once you open an ink cartridge, install it in the machine and use it up within six months of installation. Use unopened ink cartridges by the expiration date written on the cartridge package.

Thanks Lopburi , your knowledge and powers of detection have proved correct .

These teachers usually buy the cheapest ink they can get and some companies just put "brother" on their products.

Some of these colors are mixed with water and seem to destroy the heads pretty fast.

I always need plenty of colored copies and I'm really okay with the model DCP J 125 from Brother, with a huge external ink tank.

A 100 ml bottle of color is around 130 baht and lasts pretty long. Never had a problem in three years and can only reckon this model.

On the other hand, the one at school, a Brother DCP J 100 is a piece of shit, always a problem with the sensors showing error messages.

No idea if they still produce the J 125 series. Best of printing luck!!

Edited by lostinisaan

Indeed it does seem this printer used carts that include the print head rather than just ink (guess most are this type these days) so refilled or poor quality carts could be an issue - and removing them to a plastic bag could help if not printing for a time.

You're on the right track there. I found a brand new set of factory cartridges I'd forgotten about. They are at least 2 years old but they were heat sealed in that shiny Mylar which is impervious to air. I installed them and the printer immediately worked great.

I don't have a technical answer as to why I couldn't clean my old ones and get them to work but I didn't succeed and I'd guess it had been sitting unused for a year. Now I have a nice 4 in 1 wireless printer to give to a friend as promised.

Buying a laser printer is a nice option for those who can afford it.

I've also been told to run the self-cleaning cycle frequently (if you have a print shop, apparently you should do this daily at the end of the business day). If that were really necessary, you'd think the manufacturer would have an auto-clean option that you could schedule for the middle of the night.

Most of the times when the print quality was poor, I ran the self-clean function and it improved, but sometimes I had to run it three, four or six times. The last time I did this, it never came clean even after ten or fifteen cleaning cycles so I took it in and was told I have a bad print head. Bad in what way, I don't know. Perhaps the ink is just too dried and hardened inside the head to be cleanable.

(By the way, the cost for replacing the print head was almost the same as the cost of a new printer.)

Edited by attrayant

post-118699-0-54779800-1433660341_thumb.

Brother HL-1110 Laser Jet

Only 1850 baht. They keep the price down by having a smaller capacity toner cartridge but you can still print 500-700 pages. Generic refill is about 400 baht from most local ink refill shops.

The one thing I don't miss from ink jet printers is the sound of ink being used for cleaning every time I started it.

Yes, the monochrome ones are not that expensive. But if you are giving up a color inkjet for a monochrome laser printer, that's not really a fair comparison. I was thinking about color when I posted because I occasionally have to print something in color.

I've also been told to run the self-cleaning cycle frequently (if you have a print shop, apparently you should do this daily at the end of the business day). If that were really necessary, you'd think the manufacturer would have an auto-clean option that you could schedule for the middle of the night.

Most of the times when the print quality was poor, I ran the self-clean function and it improved, but sometimes I had to run it three, four or six times. The last time I did this, it never came clean even after ten or fifteen cleaning cycles so I took it in and was told I have a bad print head. Bad in what way, I don't know. Perhaps the ink is just too dried and hardened inside the head to be cleanable.

(By the way, the cost for replacing the print head was almost the same as the cost of a new printer.)

Some color destroys print heads in a short period of time. I always prefer to buy "better" color and never had a problem in four years now.

Yes, the monochrome ones are not that expensive. But if you are giving up a color inkjet for a monochrome laser printer, that's not really a fair comparison. I was thinking about color when I posted because I occasionally have to print something in color.

occasionally have to print something in color..... same here

Yep after so many problems with expensive inkjet printers over the year, got a Brothers Mono Laser with scanner over a year ago, it scans anything in colour to PC, so if I need something in colour scanned, printed or photo, I save to 'My Passport' HDD and pop into a print shop. works out a lot cheaper than having a Laser Colour Printer, and lot less problems then trying to get a inkjet cleared/cleaned and printing every time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Epson L210 Inkjet with huge tanks from the factory since I sometimes print photos on A4 photo paper so when the L210 came out and I bought one, was huge savings in Ink costs for me.

You buy original replacements/fill bottles for 250 baht per bottle, 4 colors total.

It also clogs up since I am gone 2 month at a time for work overseas.

My wife is not a PC person to put it mildly so when I asked her to print a photo (on normal A4 paper) twice a month when I am gone only got me blank stares back, so it sits there for 2 month unused.

So when I get home from work I print a couple of photos on normal A4 paper but in high quality and that so far has cleared the nozzles.

For me printing photos is a little hobby for me so putting JPG files on a stick and get them printed out in a photo shop is a no no for me, unless I want huge prints.

Otherwise it's a good idea with a laser printer if you only print B/W or never photos.